A question about mixing fuel that will work with both a modern trimmer, and a very old chainsaw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbo74

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just bought a Husqvarna 35....for an ironic $35. It is the 300 anniversary edition. It is in emaculate condition, and runs really good. I know the 35 calls for a 25:1 ratio. I also have a Stihl FD80 that calls for a 50:1 ratio. The guy I bought it from recommended that I use either non detergent sae 30, or TC-W3 2 stroke oil for my 25:1 mix...He told me not to use modern 2 stroke oil. My main question would be...If I did use either oil that the guy recommended, how will this affect my FS 80? I really don't want to have to have two mix cans, I won't be using the saw enough to justify it. I am really hoping for the " she'll be a smoker" answer, but if I must have separate mix cans, then so be it.

Try posting in the chainsaw section.....more widely read.

I can't find a manual for the 35 but it's recent enough I don't buy the seller's advice. I have saws from the early 80's that called for something like 25:1. Oils have changed. Personally I run everything on 45:1 (normal 1 gallon 50:1 bottle to 0.9 gallons gas or 2.5 gallon bottle to 2.25 gallon gas). A lot of folks in the chainsaw forum use 40:1 mixes. I settled on 45:1 as i think 50:1 probably works but I like a little insurance.

If you look in various manuals, they frequently call for their own oil at 50:1 but anything else at 25:1 or 32:1. I call that marketing. Good oils are pretty similar in performance.

I'd never use 30 wt. oil as a mix.

When saws call for 25:1, 32:1, or 40:1, that's because oil at that time was adequate only for that mix. Moderns saws call for 50:1 because today's better oil will work at that ratio. It's the oil, not the saw, that determines what mix is proper.

I'm a 50:1 guy, in my newer and older saws. When you look inside, they all have a nice shiny film of oil. However, when I mix fuel I overdo it a little, so I'm probably running 46--47:1. Like Sundance said, a little insurance doesn't hurt.

When you work day in and day out with saws, the less exhaust you have to suck up, the better. So I don't want to burn that extra 40:1 or richer mix.

I use Husqvarna 95 pre-mix in all my saws and trimmers, but will add a little extra Sea Foam in the tanks of older saws, as it provides a little extra "smoke" to make me feel better. :)

I just bought a Husqvarna 35....for an ironic $35. It is the 300 anniversary edition. It is in emaculate condition, and runs really good. I know the 35 calls for a 25:1 ratio. I also have a Stihl FD80 that calls for a 50:1 ratio. The guy I bought it from recommended that I use either non detergent sae 30, or TC-W3 2 stroke oil for my 25:1 mix...He told me not to use modern 2 stroke oil. My main question would be...If I did use either oil that the guy recommended, how will this affect my FS 80? I really don't want to have to have two mix cans, I won't be using the saw enough to justify it. I am really hoping for the " she'll be a smoker" answer, but if I must have separate mix cans, then so be it.
Probably could get away with just using 50:1 or 40:1 and running what we call in the shop I work at sometimes a blow out run basically just before winter run some marvel mystery oil though the gas as well can use only one can

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Out of a Clymer service manual for the Husqvarna 35
Engine is lubricated by mixing oil with fuel. Recommended fuel:eek:il ratio is 50:1 when using Husquvarna Two-Stroke Oil. If HusqvarnaTwo-Stroke Oil is not available, fuel:eek:il
ratio should be 25:1 using a good quality SAE 30 oil designed for chain saw engines.
Fill chain oil tank with SAE 30 motor oil. Chain oil may be diluted up to 50 percent for winter usage by adding kerosene or diesel fuel to chain oil.

Attachments

• 33 35 37 sm.pdf
    537.6 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for all the replies. So I would would be good using the same mix for both. Good to know.
This by far is not an endorsement or recommendation. Just what works for me. I think I have one saw in the lineup that is newer than 30 yrs. And get a little bit of kidding about it. Just for kicks I do drop some 30 weight in the mix, well O. K. A little more than a little bit so that on starting I don't worry about flying critters, mosquitoes and the like for a while because of the blue 30 weight smoke coming from the saw. We do like to impress..

Just run a modern oil designed for air cooled two stroke engines and you will be fine. I used to mix 3oz of oil to 1 gallon of fuel. It’s easy to mix and gives a little extra oil at 42.66:1 vs 50:1. I added some Stihl 4 stroke equipment to my stable and switched over to 50:1 Stihl oil. None of my other equipment suffered.

One warning, if your husky is tuned to run well on 25:1 it may be a bit rich at 50:1 and require a little carb tuning.

Modern 2 smoke oils are an improvment on old tech.

25-1 is super rich...

If you worried run em both at 40-1 keep an eye on exhaust temps (use yer hand to feel the escaping gasses, not the actual muffler...) it will be hot but you should be able to handle it a second or two from a few inches away without pain. Or run it for a bit at wide open and check the spark plug color, should be a tan color, darker means more oil/fuel, lighter not enough oil/fuel.

As for 30w in the oiler, bar oil is more or less 30w some thicker then others, but there are tackifying agents added to help it stick to the bits wut need sticking too.

As a side note whenever any company tells you to use their specific branded oils...

Its so gullible people spend more on the same stuff, often packaged in the same facilities.

Although it was recommended that this be posted in the chainsaw section..... I am grateful it wasn't because I never would have seen it. I just had this come up about 2 weeks ago while borrowing a string trimmer. The borrowed one calls for 40:1 while mine wants 50:1. I did get roughly the same answer from one of the guys in my local general store, but a little better explanation from here. so thanks!

Back