A question for OWB owners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Wayne

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Now that it has been 0 and below for a while, do you have trouble keeping a hot efficient fire when you are tossing in
wood that is 0 or colder. I ask because I want to build one, but wood that I throw in the basement now does not burn as well as the wood that was thrown in last fall.

Now that it has been 0 and below for a while, do you have trouble keeping a hot efficient fire when you are tossing in
wood that is 0 or colder. I ask because I want to build one, but wood that I throw in the basement now does not burn as well as the wood that was thrown in last fall.

I have not been having any trouble.

Your issue right now may have to do with the wood having moisture in it.

I'm sure loading the stove with wood stored below 0 lowers the firebox temp initially, but not noticeably. Unless it has snow on it, of course, but that stands to reason. I keep my wood as dry and snow/ice free as possible. I agree it sounds like a moisture issue.

With an owb just throw wood in and it will burn. Don't worry about what you burn. Owb's make it easy on the owner in many ways.

When it's cold outside it's easier to keep the fire going. The only time I ever have to relight the fire is when it's warm outside and it's not calling for enough heat to keep it lit.

Even though the OWB can burn less optimal wood than a woodstove, it works far better with wood that has been dried to the proper moisture content.

No trouble witb mine either. Fill it twice a day. Set temp. is at 185 deg. on boiler.

Ours did fine down to 10 F. You just have to add a lot more wood at lower temps. Season your wood like you would a wood stove and you will get a lot more heat and less smoke/creosote.

Yes it would feel damp I guess for the same reason my glasses fog up. Glad to hear all positive answers. I am not burning
this year, we built a new house & dont want the mess inside. But it pains me to hear the furnace run so I want to build a OWB.

Thanks
David

Back