A question for you tractor guys.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlarge54

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just got a tractor at auction, it was advertised with approx 100 hrs. on rebuild and water in the oil. The tractor is a 1968 Case gas 580ck and from all appearances the block has been out of the tractor. When I filled the radiator to test run I could hear the water running into the crankcase. I cut the radiator hose and filled the block with water and it appears to hold water up to the top of the block. What are the chances I'm lucky and just need a head gasket? When I went to do a compression test I discovered that neither set of threads on my tester were large enough. Pulling the head doesn't look to be too bad of a job, should I spend the time on a compression test or just go on and yank the head off?

Personally I'd go with the compression check first. That way you can rule the head gasket out (or in) right away. It sounds like you'll prolly find the head gasket is bad but, I have better luck following all the steps when troubleshooting...it seems to keep Mr. Murphy away.

If the compression is good then you have to look at sleeve seals(less likely) or (God forbid) a cracked block.

Here's hoping it's something easy and cheap!:cheers:

Last edited:
If that motor has wet sleeves, and your head gasket is okay, its in the o-rings that seal the sleeves in. I would remove the oil pan and look in there to see if you have any seepage around the sleeves. If it has dry sleeves, or bore then I would suspect the head gasket. If someone has had the tractor and the block has froze, it could be in the jacket. There are a few places I would look into.

I like to use a leakdown tester for finding leaks but to save you some money, here's an idea.

get yourself an adapter to go from your compressor hose to a spark plug. You can make one with a short length of airhose and an old sparkplug and a welder. Put the thing in gear with the ign off and if you got a bucket on that thing, dig it in. Roll it over until you're on the compression stroke. Pull one plug and hook up your adapter and give it about 30 psi. Now when you pull the valve cover and the pan you can listen for where the air is coming from and maybe isolate which cylinder.

Sounds all to familiar, I bought a 560 from some jackass in Wisc. and meet him ILL. only to find out whenI got home that the head gasket was toasted:chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw: I'll bet you have a head gasket, if you need a larger adapter i can probably hook you up with one.

Sounds all to familiar, I bought a 560 from some jackass in Wisc. and meet him ILL. only to find out whenI got home that the head gasket was toasted:chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw: I'll bet you have a head gasket, if you need a larger adapter i can probably hook you up with one.
I'd be really happy if it's only a head gasket, I knew it had some issues as it was advertised. I stopped over at your place last sunday at about 6:30pm you had tools scattered everywhere and not a soul in sight. Friday on my way home you were pulling out in the truck as I went by. I drive a gold saturn or a crappy old blue F150. Eventually our paths will cross. P.S. I am and always will remain an organ donor.

I'd be really happy if it's only a head gasket, I knew it had some issues as it was advertised. I stopped over at your place last sunday at about 6:30pm you had tools scattered everywhere and not a soul in sight. Friday on my way home you were pulling out in the truck as I went by. I drive a gold saturn or a crappy old blue F150. Eventually our paths will cross. P.S. I am and always will remain an organ donor.

Hmmm. I can't think where I was last Sunday, probably went for a 4-wheeler ride around the neighborhood trails with the kid. I bet my wife was there though. I've seen that gold Saturn, did you wave as you went by?

Organ donors save lives!!!!:cheers:

Back