A question on comfort

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applefarmer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What is more comfortable, more volume of HOT air for a shorter duration or less volume of WARM air for longer? I have an older fuel oil furnace with my 140,000 btu water-air hx in it and have the fan set pretty slow. I have my boiler set to cycle between 130-160. The register temp checked with ir thermo is between 120 and 145. It takes about an hour to pull from 68 to 72 in the house. House is 2500 sq ft. My question is, 1. I could increase the speed of the furnace blower 2. I can turn the boiler up to cycle between 160-185. 3. I could do both to lower the time to pull from 68-72 but which one will feel more comfortable sitting on the couch? Outside temps are running between 25 at night and 35 day so it is not all that cold out yet.

When my house is cold I run my fire hot and hard, once I get the temp up to 75° I shut it down and let it burn slow, and let the heat just trickle up through the vents no blower. But I have a inside the basement wood furnace, but it should be the same thing, if you have forced air.
75° is 75° comfortable to me.

Last edited:
This is something about myself I don't understand...

In the summer, I am comfortable with the air conditioning in the house set to 68. Warmer than that and I am hot!

But in the winter I like it to be 72. Cooler than that and I am cold!

???

i run the woodstove until i'm nekkid on the couch (6' from the stove), then cut it back and go to the bedroom-where it's cooler. love opening the door on a sub 20 day to let the heat out...and not have to worry 'bout a meter spinning.

woodburning is most efficient and cleaner at higher temps, but it takes a swedish masonry type stove or "rocket stove" to take full advantage of that--for my app.

i just try to get the stove gutenhot (that's german you know) once a day to desootify (not german) the stack.

and i'm only working with 864 sq ft.

(while we're at it) i use lighter wood to get it rolling and denser wood to keep it up all night.

getcher mind outta the gutter.

yo.:hmm3grin2orange:

Part of the equasion is getting the Structure heat soaked, and maintaining it.

Heat is the positive, and surrounding mass is the negative.

Get the hootch heat soaked, and what comes outta the stove or furnace isn't lost to the buildings mass.

Crank up the wind or drop the temp outside and you're back at the fight, and will need a quick warm up to heat soak the house again, and then enough volume to maintain that soak. ;)

My answer? Both.:D

Where are you growing the Apples in this finest of states?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Not sure if this helps or not, but I currently have just the one heat source, my 1557M wood/coal furnace... it has the stock twin 550cfm blowers on it with a honeywell limiter set at on 150 and off 85... if I crank it the blowers just run constant but they don't blow very strong... if it get's too cold in the house for whatever reason (below 68) I have a secondary blower in parallel that runs around 1800 cfm.. I will kick that blower on for about 10-15 minutes till the house get's back up around 75 and turn it back off and just let the small blowers take command.

Isn't what's considered comfortable more of a personal choice that varies...?

I'm personally most comfortable when it's in the 20s outside and wish it would stay that way year 'round. However I don't think many would share my sense of comfort :hmm3grin2orange:

(Just try both and see which way you like batter :D)

Warm air circulating almost constantly at a low not really noticeable speed. It is very relaxing and running the blower almost constantly seems cut done on the air-borne allergens and keep the duct work cleaner. It does consume more filters. Consistent house temperature is an excellent thing.

Hey dingeryote- I am in SW lower, about 10 miles East of South Haven. I also grow tart cherris on the hills and blueberries on the low ground. Apples are our largest acreage though. Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will just leave everything alone (for now). I just always feel compeled to mess around with things. My wife thinks I have a problem!

In the summer, I am comfortable with the air conditioning in the house set to 68. Warmer than that and I am hot!

???

I couldn't describe myself more accurately:agree2:

Try living in my house,the misses works in an office that(in the summer time) they keep cold enough to hang meat,I work outside.whats hot to her is cold to me.same thing in winter she says house is cold ,but I'm very comfortable.hard for us to find a middle ground.House is comfortable for me around 70 degrees.She wants it around 65 in the summer and 75 in the winter.just cant understand that.

???
You and me botl brother, except I prefer 65 or less in summer!

Part of the equasion is getting the Structure heat soaked, and maintaining it.

Heat is the positive, and surrounding mass is the negative.

Get the hootch heat soaked, and what comes outta the stove or furnace isn't lost to the buildings mass.

Crank up the wind or drop the temp outside and you're back at the fight, and will need a quick warm up to heat soak the house again, and then enough volume to maintain that soak. ;)

My answer? Both.:D

Where are you growing the Apples in this finest of states?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Hell, a transplanted Minnesootan can raise apples in good Whizconseen soil, I betcha blooberrries would work well too. Wanna trade berries? I have better than an acre covered in raspberries and blackberries.

About 5 miles from here is where Leonard Swenson made growing grapes in the frozen north possible and popular. He made the U of MN a ton of money, almost as much as the apple business has!

good night all!

Last edited:
Hey dingeryote- I am in SW lower, about 10 miles East of South Haven. I also grow tart cherris on the hills and blueberries on the low ground. Apples are our largest acreage though. Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will just leave everything alone (for now). I just always feel compeled to mess around with things. My wife thinks I have a problem!

LOL!!!

You're around the corner from me.

Holler if ya need anything.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back