A Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WidowMaker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
for you trained welders or welders by trade..

Is there any reason one should not use shielding gas with shielded core wire???

TIA

for you trained welders or welders by trade..

Is there any reason one should not use shielding gas with shielded core wire???

TIA

Never heard of shielded core wire, I assume you mean flux core wire. You can use both, but why would you want to? Flux core was developed for uses where gas could not be used, namely windy conditions where the gas shield would blow away and contaminate the weld. It provides all the shield that you need, to add gas would be pointless and will not provide any better welds.
You aint going to hurt anything, but it is an unecessary expense.
Why are you wanting to run both?

Yes, Avalancher, I mis-spoke I do mean flux core wire. After more research I have come to the same conclusions you have stated. I could, but to no advantage.

I like the smoother, spatter free appearance of the gas shield welds, I now understand that the flux in the wire is what causes the spatter and smokey appearance of gasless welds.
Thanks for your spot on reply... :smoking:

If you are having a problem with excessive spatter with flux core wire, it may help to try different brands of wire. Some of the junk stuff sold at the big box store are some of the worst. Do a little experimenting with different brands, and make sure your stuff that you are welding on is clean. A good scrub with a stainless steel brush will often help with the spatter.
but, as you have found out,if you are in a position to use gas, you can often get a better weld, and it increases your welding capability.Flux core doent allow you to weld the real thin stuff, so gas in my opinion is the way to go.

I'd have to ask my welding instructor from college on it but there were times he talked about running "dual shield". There are times when it was needed but I'm not sure as to when, would have to ask an experienced welder that one.

trbo

A search for "Dual Shield" come up with this

====

"The third kind of wire is Gas-Shielded Flux-Core, usually E71T-1.
This is called Outer-Shield by Lincoln and Dual-Shield by ESAB.
This wire combines the properties of the previous two wire types.
It uses a Flux-Core wire and a gas shield, hence "dual" shield.
This kind of wire is the best for welding heavy steel in a shop.
The gas shield restricts it to indoor use, but it welds very heavy steel in a single pass with little or no spatter and near perfect welds.
It rules the industry in heavy shop fabrication.
You still have some smoke and the slag layer to clean up, but absolutely lovely welds.
Dual-Shield requires very high amperages and requires a heavy duty machine and a tougher gun to handle the amperage involved.

The wires that use a gas shield can be used with pure CO2 or Argon/CO2 mixes.
Pure CO2 is very hot and very cheap, but it does make a lot of spatter, which makes for a lot of clean up afterwards
Argon added to CO2 makes the arc smoother and cleaner.
The most common gas mix for steel MIG is C25, which means 75%
argon/25% CO2"

from here

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Welding-3487/Shielding-Bottle-MIG-Welder.htm

Thanks for the clue...

You are correct in that caption, but you are now moving on to production work, not repairing or fabricating in your own workshop.
Dual shield is used almost exclusively, bar some unusual welding materials, in spray arc where you are welding very heavy plate.The dual shield is generally used with a mixture of 98% argon 2% O2, and sometimes helium is also mixed in.
75% argon/25% CO2 is not a true spray weld,but rather a globular transfer.

The point behind the dual shield is to give a very fast travel speed, a very flat crown to the weld, minimal cleanup,and maximum penetration.In our workshop world, speed is rarely a concern. Also, most of us dont have the high amps required to weld the heavy plate in one pass, we are far better off beveling the heavy plate and making several passes to achieve the desired strength. The heavier amps needed generally also require a liquid cooled gun to handle the extra heat, although the older models were air cooled. An hour spent with an air cooled wire gun using spray arc will really toast your mittens.
I initially gathered that you are using a consumer grade machine for use in your own workshop, did you have something else in mind?

Last edited:
"http://en.allexperts.com/q/Welding-3487/Shielding-Bottle-MIG-Welder.htm"

====

You are correct, thanks again for clarifications.

Back