A rare opportunity?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeX0rz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
:bowdown:

Boy, this one has potential!

Well, my brother in law works with a lady who burns wood for heat. As some may know, I'm trying to sell firewood for income. I sell her a cord of wood. Come to find out though, she knows a lady who needed some as well. BUT, she wanted someone to cut the wood thats on her property. I considered it, and had received her number.

I gave her a call today, and we discussed some details. As it turns out, they are living on a 95 acre property. Their landlord has given them permission to cut wood off of it for use. The deal is, for every 2 cord I cut for myself, I cut them 1 cord. From a-z I do it all for them. I get my 2 cord they get their 1 cord. Split and stacked for burning.

Not bad, I would say. They said they have a lot of cedar and birch. Some fir, tamarack and pine. I have no interest in the pine. They have been looking for someone to do this for them since the end of JULY! They had 2 guys take them up on the offer. 1 guy did a little bit and the other just cut a bunch of cedar and took off! They are both older people and retired. They are also both crippled up and not very able bodied. They spent $200 a month last year to heat their house with electricity! AS we all know, most of last year was pretty damn mild I say.

So, I offered them some of my wood. I downed the price, for a few reasons:

1. They do not have much income
2. I need to get rid of my pile of wood
3. I can make something of selling my wood
4. I can replace the space with better wood

I will be selling them my wood at $50 a cord!!!! They want atleast 3 cord and no more than 5 cord! I'm hoping that means they want no more than 5 cord of my wood and more from the land. I have no idea yet whether or not they will let me make this a consistent thing to do or if it is just until they are satisfied for the year...

Now, another thing too, is even though cedar is not the greatest to burn as firewood, I was thinking I could take 8ft cedar logs and make poles and sell them. I dunno how much I would yield for the work, but its worth looking into. Maybe even take some of the pine to the local mill for some money?

I meet them tomorrow, to deliver my first cord to them. I'm a little worried they won't be able to burn it. They have a fireplace and not a wood stove. My wood is seasoned and split, but it was not stacked and its been wet up here lately. I know that it would burn if it had a couple days under something to let it dry. I'm worried that it may not burn the best in a fireplace though.

So what do you guys think? I think it will give me a chance to have some fun with my 2 new saws! :chainsawguy:

Last edited:
I'm not sure your efforts will show up on the old balance sheet, but you get to help someone out while getting an opportunity to use your saws.
Is $200 for the year? Man, I'd sell all my saws and take up golf if that was my nut.

p's re-read shows it to be a monthly charge. More in line with around here.

Well, my brother in law works with a lady who burns wood for heat. As some may know, I'm trying to sell firewood for income. I sell her a cord of wood. Come to find out though, she knows a lady who needed some as well. BUT, she wanted someone to cut the wood thats on her property. I considered it, and had received her number.

I gave her a call today, and we discussed some details. As it turns out, they are living on a 95 acre property. Their landlord has given them permission to cut wood off of it for use. The deal is, for every 2 cord I cut for myself, I cut them 1 cord. From a-z I do it all for them. I get my 2 cord they get their 1 cord. Split and stacked for burning.

Not bad, I would say. They said they have a lot of cedar and birch. Some fir, tamarack and pine. I have no interest in the pine. They have been looking for someone to do this for them since the end of JULY! They had 2 guys take them up on the offer. 1 guy did a little bit and the other just cut a bunch of cedar and took off! They are both older people and retired. They are also both crippled up and not very able bodied. They spent $200 a month last year to heat their house with electricity! AS we all know, most of last year was pretty damn mild I say.

I will be selling them my wood at $50 a cord!!!! They want atleast 3 cord and no more than 5 cord! I'm hoping that means they want no more than 5 cord of my wood and more from the land. I have no idea yet whether or not they will let me make this a consistent thing to do or if it is just until they are satisfied for the year...

Now, another thing too, is even though cedar is not the greatest to burn as firewood, I was thinking I could take 8ft cedar logs and make poles and sell them. I dunno how much I would yield for the work, but its worth looking into. Maybe even take some of the pine to the local mill for some money?

I meet them tomorrow, to deliver my first cord to them. I'm a little worried they won't be able to burn it. They have a fireplace and not a wood stove. My wood is seasoned and split, but it was not stacked and its been wet up here lately. I know that it would burn if it had a couple days under something to let it dry. I'm worried that it may not burn the best in a fireplace though.

So what do you guys think? I think it will give me a chance to have some fun with my 2 new saws! :chainsawguy:

Well,I will give you my two cents worth,but dont let it sway your decision.After all, its your equipement,time, and gas money.

First off, you cut,split,and stack three cords, and you keep two?I would pass.Call me lazy if you like, but I would pass on that deal if you have other wood available and it sounds like you do.Lot of work in a cord of wood if you have to do all the work.I would maybe consider it if it was loose thrown in a pile, two piles for you,one for them.But when you consider the stacking on top of it, not a very fair deal for you.Maybe I would consider three for you, one for them.
And fifty bucks a cord?I have no idea what firewood runs in your neck of the woods, but fifty bucks is awful cheap.I wouldnt bother if that is all we could get around here.The going rate around here is $150 a cord thanks to all the weekend warriors with a Wild Thing selling green wood out of the back of their Toyota at the local farmers market,we used to get $200 per cord.I know you probably cut them a deal because you want to cut them some slack,and good for you.Shows you got a good heart.But having a good heart is not going to put food on the table, and you have to be able to show a profit or you might as well be flipping burgers at McDonalds.

What ever you decide, best of luck for you, and have some rep for a good heart!

If you get 50. a cord, I'll take 20 cords right now.........................In this area right now it going on average for $240. and you pick it uo yourself.

As for your deal, I personally wouldn't touch it, unless you are willing to bend because of their situation. Your choice for sure.

:bowdown::bowdown: it is a chance to help someone out and that is a good thing,,,i have 2 cords set aside for donation purposes,,my wife works for the local hospital with hospice,,and some of them burn wood for heat and a lot of them have very little money,,so if for some reason they don't have the money for wood right away i have some wood to give to them to get them by until they can buy some

I would also check with the actual owner of the property. He might not like someone cutting on his property keeping some of the wood when all he did was give permission to these old folks to cut for their use.

I would also check with the actual owner of the property. He might not like someone cutting on his property keeping some of the wood when all he did was give permission to these old folks to cut for their use.

:agree2:

My thoughts exactly. Especially if you're thinking of doing some logging with the pine and cedar. The tenants are probably on the up and up, but the owner still calls the shots.

Hey all, thanks for the feedback. IMO This is my first year doing firewood. The wood I was so ignorantly choosing is the dreaded pine, spruce and poplar. Around here everyone has the idea that if they do not get their fir, tam, or birch, it is junk.

Pretty much means I will have a hard time selling it. This year, if all my wood was the better species, I would have sold all of it already.

The biggest reason I'm selling my wood so cheap is because I want something out of it soon. Because I'm moving in the spring and I do not want any of it sitting here when I leave. People in the spring do not think about buying wood for next year. They are focused on other things like cleaning and sun bathing.

I'm taking a look at the place today to see what is all going on with it. I may be able to do 1 cord for every 3 cord with them, who knows. If I get 2 cord for every 1 cord, granted, I do the work, I can make about $160 a cord.

That would mean that my 2 cords are actually only worth $80 when I incorporate the cord I do for them for free. So I may see if I can do 3 for me and 1 for them.

The tenants are actually good friends with the landlord. The landlord knows all about the deal and whatnot. He has given permission to do it. As well, if I do a little "logging" it wont necessarily matter as the wood I bring out is like I were doing firewood. I just dont buck the log up into rounds.

:agree2:

Do the old folks a favor if you wish, but keep that separate from your BUSINE$$.

I think this deal is a recipe for serious headache.

That's what I was thinking.

At least get something in writing with property owner.Many people may not mind you "getting a load or two" but when you start getting larger quantities things may change in a hurry

Especially if they see you making money off of it. It's amazing how a person's attitude towards something they had no use for themself changes when they see someone else turn it into cash, no matter how small.

Well, I got back from delivering the first cord of wood. Tomorrow, I will be doing the other 2 cords. He is also going to pay me $25 a cord to stack. It comes out to the equivalent of my senior citizen discount. I usually deliver and stack for free with a wood discount. So it turns out to equalize just right.

There is aloooot of birch on the property with nice access to it all. I can borrow his chain and drag the logs to a landing spot for easier working area.

I'm gonna give it a whirl and see how it turns out. If I spend a day up there and get a buttload of good sellable wood, I don't think I will go wrong.

As for the landlord, I will be meeting him tomorrow and making sure that we can see eye to eye about everything.

Being responsible is doing the right thing

Do the old folks a favor if you wish, but keep that separate from your BUSINE$$.

I have to agree with Mark.
Every time I see someone that needs a break I'm the guy who gives it to em. I'm also the guy that works for expenses and not much else too much of the time. Do right by others, but also do right by yourself and your family. Kind of tough to tithe on Sunday when you don't manage your affairs Monday thru Saturday.
Steve W.

The Woodsman~ Alcove b4burn

sounds like your a swell guy, i find wood thats underpriced seems like a good deal for the guy who is keeping his butt warm with it, huh...i mean whenever i undercut myself, seems i am the only one gettin undercut! the fella who is eyeballin the woods as it flys into its alcove b4 burn seems to be so happy to get such a bargain! while i am sayin "yeah whatta feelin!" ripped and dried and burned for dirt cheap~ word from the wise~ do yourself a favour~ get what its worth at least!cause chillybuns is savin already!:bang:

Poulan Pro BRO~ BIG MF
Stihl Cuttin' Cottonwoodsman

I have to agree with Mark.
Every time I see someone that needs a break I'm the guy who gives it to em. I'm also the guy that works for expenses and not much else too much of the time. Do right by others, but also do right by yourself and your family. Kind of tough to tithe on Sunday when you don't manage your affairs Monday thru Saturday.
Steve W.

Yep.

I think it just works out better overall if you run your business as a BUSINESS (fair, honest, but profitable), and keep the charity work as charity work.

Muddy waters are harder to navigate safely. They can hide snags that can rip the bottom out of your boat.

Keep the business waters clear by keeping the charity separate.

Thanks for the input guys. I will be sure to make my charitable things set aside and my business in front. I will be posting up on here my progress I have cutting some wood from their land. Stay tuned!

Latest posts

Back