A Reason to switch bars ...... <pics>

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iCreek

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
... decided to put my 18" bar and chain on my old 028 AV Super, replacing the old 16", giving me a reason to buy a new 20" bar and chain for my 361. Stayed with the .325 pitch so it is the same chains for the 20" on my 029. Thought hard about going 3/8 but did not want to have that many different configurations of chains, so I always have a few sharp spares sitting around. I think the 028 will make a great backup saw, especially now with the 18" off the 361, it is built like a tank. Hope you enjoy the pics, after the bar swap, 028 and 361.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Yep, you are addicted :) LOL. Nice looking saws. How do you like the 20" bar on the 029.

How do you like the 20" bar on the 029.

It was my FIL old saw, he had a 20" bar on it and his 066.. I like the 20" seems to be less bending down with cutting limbs etc.. I think that was one thing I noticed about the new 361, although much lighter than the 029, I was bending alot more with the 18" bar... So I solved that problem, at least that is what I keep telling myself. Would still like to have something light, like a 180, 210 or 250.... Then I'm done !!! Thanks for the reply...

It was my FIL old saw, he had a 20" bar on it and his 066.. I like the 20" seems to be less bending down with cutting limbs etc.. I think that was one thing I noticed about the new 361, although much lighter than the 029, I was bending alot more with the 18" bar... So I solved that problem, at least that is what I keep telling myself. Would still like to have something light, like a 180, 210 or 250.... Then I'm done !!! Thanks for the reply...

A clear case of denial.

You just think you can be done.

:cheers:

It is an addiction; I just got my MS310 and I was cutting through a nice 18" (thought it was 16", nope) oak round the other day. Saw slowed to a crawl and I thought to myself, "well, it might be time to get another one..."

I mentioned it to my wife and she almost backhanded me. Crap, that is going to take some work ;-)

Tes

No no, you'll definitely need a 70-80 cc after that. Trust me, running the 372 is like wiping your ass with velvet.

The star from this past weekend's cutting: The venerable auction house 036...but I "Stihl" want a bigger one!:greenchainsaw:

The star from this past weekend's cutting: The venerable auction house 036...but I "Stihl" want a bigger one!:greenchainsaw:

My guess is that 036 is heavy? I know this old 028 sure is, but they just don't make em like they used to. Buy hey I see you have a 170 for the light work :)

Not at all...the 036 is a lot more manuverable then the 290. The 170, for a light HO saw, is wonderful....need a 180 for backup tho...

Latest posts

Back