A reminder is in order here (or) go scrub your chimneys.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennsywoodburnr

supreme scrounger
Reaction score
I hope with the warmer weather we're having for the next day or so everyone is taking the opportunity to run the brush through the pipe. Let the fireplace burn out yesterday afternoon and switched on the space heater as it was warm enough by then for it to keep up. Went out today and cleaned everything up real nice. Chimney cap had some serious creosote buildup on it but nothing that couldn't be taken off with elbow grease. Had to clean up a ton of it too when the brush knocked it loose from the piping. All in all though a productive day and it only took me a little over an hour to do. Be safe my friends. :msp_thumbup:

Did ours last week, figured since the snow had all melted it was a good time for it. Chimney was ok, had some creosote in the cap as well. I suspect its cause the mesh is so fine, that should do it until spring when I'll do it again so its ready for next fall.

Did mine Saturday, bought some rods and a wire 12x12 square brush last year. That investment has already paid for itself. Glass door masonry fireplace, flue is clay tile in a cement block chase with a brick veneer. Burnt a couple of those chimney sweeping logs a week ago waited a week as per instruction then swept. The stuff came off rather easily. Most the mess was vacuuming the smoke shelf. Just like last year, i did inspect before burning those sweeping logs, the top of the chimney was coated with a layer of a tar like material. Followed instructions and waited a week before scrubbing, the stuff had hardened to the point that it was removable with only minimal elbow grease. Will the sweeping logs work for eveyone?, i dont know, but im satisifed to this point.

I was thinking of checking the chimney this week. But apparently the rain is going to turn instantly to ice.

Cleaned mine 2 weeks ago, had a few boogers where the pipe enters the flue. I have a exterior clay flue lined masonry chimney that is easy to check by just opening the cleanout door and having a look up there with a mirror, I do this every 3 or 4 weeks just to make sure.

I just got my stove installed 2 weeks ago so I'm good for now. One question though, only way I will be able to clean the chimney will be from inside the house. How do you all accomplish this with out making such a mess?:msp_confused:

I ran 24' of SootEater up the flue from my basement yesterday. Got less then a half a gallon of 'sote. It was the first time using the SootEater and I am impressed as it cleaned the flue very well. It was almost 70 yesterday, tomorrow it's back into the 20's. 2" of rain today so the place is flooded again.........ahhh Winter in all it's glory!

Keyless..this is what you need:
http://www.amazon.com/Gardus-Inc-RC...UTF8&qid=1359593738&sr=8-1&keywords=sooteater

and a drill...you will be all set.

Last edited:
AWESOME!!!!! :rock: You got volunteers to clean it for you. You da man.

Cleaned both of mine last week during the heat wave.

Km did you look at MP's pic's? Fire is not the "volunteer" you want.

How bad MP?

Km did you look at MP's pic's? Fire is not the "volunteer" you want.

How bad MP?

Yes, I did, that was a good one. I figured MP was on the fire crew and I was being facetious about the pics. Is that your chimney on fire MP? :msp_scared:
I know how a chimney fire goes from first hand experience. It ain't purdy.

did mine this past weekend and im glad i did. Had about a 1/4 inch of build up in the liner and got probably a gallon of creosote out of the chimney. i'd cleaned it 5 weeks prior so obviously i have some issues in my system that need to be addressed. Hopefully i'll only have to do it one more time before spring is here.

Brushed ours around the first of the year when there was a break in the weather. Shouldn't need another cleaning until spring when the stove is put to bed for summer.

Still getting buildup on the cap screen but the flue pipe wasn't hardly dirty at all.

I just got my stove installed 2 weeks ago so I'm good for now. One question though, only way I will be able to clean the chimney will be from inside the house. How do you all accomplish this with out making such a mess?:msp_confused:

I put a plastic bag over the 1st cleaning rod.I slide the bag up the rod and over the pipe just as the brush enters the pipe.Tape the bag to the pipe and start moveing the brush,add the extensions as needed. You will get some creosote on the floor but by far most goes in the bag.Shop vac cleans that up.I've been doing it this way for years.Of course my pipe and chimney is a straight shot from bottom to top.

I already did mine on the 21st of this month, 3 days after we received 7 and 1/2 inches of snow. Since there was still snow on the roof I was able to see any places that need additional insulation. As for the chimney, I lowered an LED battery operated lantern down the length of the chimney liner to see how badly it needs cleaning and to check for any creosote buildup. The only creosote I found was at the top, the same as many others have stated, but it removed fairly easy. The rest was soot and really didn't require cleaning, but I figured as long as I was up there and had everything I needed to do it, I might as well get er done. After I finished the chimney, I also cleaned out the stove pipe and even vacuumed inside the top end of the stove, but not in the actual firebox.

I am so looking forward to the end of the heating season when I can do it all over again n turn black! :msp_scared: But such is the nature of the beast!

Yes, I did, that was a good one. I figured MP was on the fire crew and I was being facetious about the pics. Is that your chimney on fire MP? :msp_scared:
I know how a chimney fire goes from first hand experience. It ain't purdy.

10-4

Yes those pic's sober one up real fast.....scare-eeey.

Back