A reminder is in order here (or) go scrub your chimneys.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This fall was the first time I cleaned the chimney liner on my stove, got about a coffee-cup of creosote when all was said and done. I have inspected the liner every fall, but I think that since I burn almost 24/7 (I heat with only the stove) and use seasoned wood the creosote doesn't have a chance to build up. The occasional woodburner will have more creosote than those that keep the fire going long and hot. FWIW it's a 2 story chimney as well.

This fall was the first time I cleaned the chimney liner on my stove, got about a coffee-cup of creosote when all was said and done. I have inspected the liner every fall, but I think that since I burn almost 24/7 (I heat with only the stove) and use seasoned wood the creosote doesn't have a chance to build up. The occasional woodburner will have more creosote than those that keep the fire going long and hot. FWIW it's a 2 story chimney as well.

I'm right with you. We have a two-story chimney and heat only out of our stove, which burns close to full-time from late Sept to late March. We burn fully dried maple, beech, cherry, oak, birch, and some polar. I check the chimney every Fall, a couple times during the winter, then again in the Spring. I haven't had to clean for a couple years, though I might need to empty out a coffee can of creasote that might fall to the bottom of the chimney.

Back