A sad day...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did a bit of basement inventory this morning and determined I had enough oak down there to make it into mid-March, and enough elm to maybe make it into late April. That's just cuttin' it a bit too close... an extended cold snap could easily shorten that up... and it ain't unheard of to been burning into May.

So... sadly, I had to start moving wood from my LAST stack into the house... a sad turn of events for sure.

Since I had the truck fired up I decided it was a good day to haul the ash can out into the field and dump it also.

DSCF0051.JPG DSCF0050.JPG DSCF0052.JPG DSCF0054.JPG

I would really like to find me an old coal shoot door. My basement is about empty too. Skidloader is in shop getting serviced and fuel leak fixed. But, I got plenty wood outside and half cord in machine shed.

love them bias tires in the snow.:rock2:
I've been involved with firewood since before my teens and this is my 40th year running saws, and even though I learned a lot over those years, I joined AS 'cause I knew I could still learn some things and maybe help others out along the way. One pleasant surprise I found is the sense of humor displayed here, and that you can't always take things too seriously. Thanks for the laugh today Farmer Steve.

Spidey if not the treadmill, you need some kind of a chute in that basement opening. I built one out of plywood and lined it with tin. then you can stand up and just flip it through the opening. You (or your boy) must have to be on your knees to get it through that hole.

I did a bit of basement inventory this morning and determined I had enough oak down there to make it into mid-March, and enough elm to maybe make it into late April. That's just cuttin' it a bit too close... an extended cold snap could easily shorten that up... and it ain't unheard of to been burning into May.

So... sadly, I had to start moving wood from my LAST stack into the house... a sad turn of events for sure.

Since I had the truck fired up I decided it was a good day to haul the ash can out into the field and dump it also.

View attachment 484373 View attachment 484374 View attachment 484375 View attachment 484376
What is the fourth pic? You left it in gear after getting back from the elks

What'cha sportin for dig on that beast?
Cooper Courser Traction bias ply... but they don't make 'em anymore.

Green Diamond?? The tires with sand embedded in the rubber??

...had any further luck determining your permanent housing situation?
Not really... still looking around.

Someone once posted that around Feb 10th is the half way mark for the heating season and a person should have half of their yearly wood supply left. You picked a nice day to toss in some of that wood.. Looks like yo have a lot more snow then I do.

Someone once posted that around Feb 10th is the half way mark for the heating season and a person should have half of their yearly wood supply left. You picked a nice day to toss in some of that wood.. Looks like yo have a lot more snow then I do.
Yeah, pretty close to half way... but, 'round here anyway, mid-December through mid-February is the coldest time of the year. We'll actually start a slow warming up about now. Really, most years anyway, just what I burned in January alone will 'bout carry me through from here on out. I've got something over a cord and a half of oak and elm in the basement now... that should get me into spring.

Yeah, it was nice yesterday... mid 30s, lots of sun, light(ish) winds. Heck, I didn't even need a jacket, worked in a wool shirt and uninsulated gloves. But we're under a Blizzard warning all day today, expecting 30-40 MPH winds with some light snow. Those winds, along with the cold temps today, will get that snow moving... there's already a haze in the air from blowing snow.

Back