A sad sight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadthestove

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
when I purchased this truck back in the summer I turned the country upside down looking for a two wheel drive.
my logic was ,1 It is intended to tow our family F.ver and will probably never be off blacktop,,,2 I don't need another 4 wheel drive because I have a 2000 model F 150 that hardly gets used,, 34,000 miles.
why waste money buying another four wheel drive.well here she sets .I love my truck but it is basically stuck right in its own track.The diesel engine is so heavy in the front that they tend to stick easy.

guess I'll just let it sit until camping season.because when I hook the 12,000 camper to it It all becomes perfectly clear why I purchased it.

worst part is payments keep coming whether I'm driving it or not..

:agree2:

truck is sitting in my yard about ten feet from blacktop drive.I havent started it in three weeks .besides i hate to tear my yard up.My ground is so poor you couldnt raise a fight with your neighbor on it and I dont want to have to fix big ruts and try to get grass to grow.

Thanks for the info..

hurry and scrap the snow off the yard to let the frost get into the ground for a couple of weeks.

once the gorund freezes, you shouldn't have a problem.

that is, if you'd like to move it yet this winter...

*edit

oh wait, i seey our in kentucky, maybe that won't work...

Well, you could load about a full cord of firewood in the box and that will put enough weight on the truck so it would crawl right out of there. :)
Years ago I used to own a old C30 Chevy with a flatbed on it. It was worthless in any snow. So, I used to load up a load of snow and carried that around for weight, because it was self unloading once it warmed up.
Anyway, put a few chunks of firewood on the back end and you will solve the problem. The big problem with trucks is that they are designed to haul stuff and are too light in the back when empty.

I understand your thinking on not getting 4x4
I dont agree as I really depend on the LOW gearing when backing my 5ver in tight campgrounds. I also have to back my 5ver up my driveway where I park it on side of house. Even though I have manual hubs and dont use them much the low gearing is key to me. I shift it into 4 low but leave the hubs in free mode at campgrounds when backing in

Load, you ain't that far from me and my bottomland pastures are frozen like concrete. This would be the best time to move it during this deep freeze. By thur temps are going to be up in the 40's & the ground will turn back to soup.

Throw some sawdust under them tires & get 'er moving!

RD

I suppose if the ground is soft you may not want to rut the yard, although you did drive it to where it is now didn't you..? Unless I'm not seeing the same picture as you, there appears to be perhaps 3" of snow and the truck is sitting on level ground. Drop it in low and idle on out of there. I've owned both a two and four wheel drive dually while here in MN. Never had a problem getting around in either. Some weight in the bed will sure do wonders. Now ice, or inclines changes things a bit and that is where the 4x4 really comes in handy.

loadthestove, Since you have a 4wd 150, just hook a tow strap or chain to that, and go easy. Its supprising sometimes, how just the a little extra pull is required to get a vehicle over the hump to speak, and unstuck. You will obviously need 2 people.:) looks like your very close to the driveway anyway,

:cheers:
Gregg,

loadthestove, Since you have a 4wd 150, just hook a tow strap or chain to that, and go easy. Its supprising sometimes, how just the a little extra pull is required to get a vehicle over the hump to speak, and unstuck. You will obviously need 2 people.:) looks like your very close to the driveway anyway,

:cheers:
Gregg,

Exactly what to do!

My first pickup was a toyota compact 2wd with a 22R engine. I swore I'd never have a 2wd truck ever again. I spent too many mornings laying on the ground putting chains on to get to work.

Now I have a 4wd F150 with open differentials front and back. Almost, but not quite, as useless in packed snow. One tire loses traction and the other stops pulling.

Now, I've changed "never have a 2wd ever again" to "never have an open differential ever again". I've been threatening to put a Detroit truetrak in it off and on for a couple years.

Ian

If that truck cant drive off the lawn without spinning the tires, it's time for a tire upgrade. I have a 4wd at home. I use 2wd almost all the time. I drive diesel trucks at work. They are 4wd. They get driven off the pavement. We never lock them in either.

Yep unloaded duallies will always float and slop around.

My dodge gets a bunch of cinder blocks put in it in the winter.

But I have this little lever thing next to the stick shift that comes in handy on occasion too :)

I was surprised you could even find a modern 2wd F350 dually anymore.

My first pickup was a toyota compact 2wd with a 22R engine. I swore I'd never have a 2wd truck ever again. I spent too many mornings laying on the ground putting chains on to get to work.

Now I have a 4wd F150 with open differentials front and back. Almost, but not quite, as useless in packed snow. One tire loses traction and the other stops pulling.

Now, I've changed "never have a 2wd ever again" to "never have an open differential ever again". I've been threatening to put a Detroit truetrak in it off and on for a couple years.

Ian

I went through the same process, but now I'm up to "I'll never own another truck without a winch"Nothing more frustrating than seeing all four wheels spinning with no forward progress.

This post made me think:
A couple of years ago I went to an auction in March. Ground was already soft but doable in the morning especially with 4WD. Starting raining about mid day and by afternoon 4WD or not everybody in the field was stuck. Amazing to see big jacked up 4WD truck helpless and 60 year antique Farmall tractors pulling them out.

This post made me think:
A couple of years ago I went to an auction in March. Ground was already soft but doable in the morning especially with 4WD. Starting raining about mid day and by afternoon 4WD or not everybody in the field was stuck. Amazing to see big jacked up 4WD truck helpless and 60 year antique Farmall tractors pulling them out.

You know that had to make the tractor owners fell 10 ft tall.

why no 4wd? especially in a one ton class truck.
the extra weight? 200 pounds is minimal compared to the 500 you added for the engine.
something else to break? grandpa said the same thing about roll up winders too. they are quite reliable as long as they are used occationally.
hurts fuel milage? 1 to 2 mpg on most modern vehicles. You loose that much typically with the parasitic losses of an automatic transmission.

I went through the same process, but now I'm up to "I'll never own another truck without a winch"Nothing more frustrating than seeing all four wheels spinning with no forward progress.

ya, and a old friend of mine, had a cj7--true tracs front and rear--he said if i get stuck!!---he did--deep!!! 4wd tractor to get him out--and 100 smacks!!!!!:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:i never let him live it down--then job change moved him to arizona--kelly was a clown!!

Latest posts

Back