A sad sight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why no 4wd? especially in a one ton class truck.
the extra weight? 200 pounds is minimal compared to the 500 you added for the engine.
something else to break? grandpa said the same thing about roll up winders too. they are quite reliable as long as they are used occasionally.
hurts fuel mileage? 1 to 2 mpg on most modern vehicles. You loose that much typically with the parasitic losses of an automatic transmission.

I have a couple of reasons.
Intended use.I purchased this truck for two basic reasons.tow the family camper ,and use as a family vehicle on the rare occasion when we all go somewhere together.This truck will probably be driven less than 5000 miles per year

Four wheel drives generally cost about 4000-5000 more than a two wheel

fuel mileage,while not that big a difference it will add up.

I currently own two four wheel drive,96 toyota forerunner,2000 ford f-150
so i have a 4x4 if needed.

but the biggest reason ,, Bed height,the big 3,,ford,dodge,chevrolet have an insane idea that four wheel drive trucks must be at least six foot high off the ground.this makes it hard two get a fver camper level for towing without hitch modifications.If they are not close to level when towing then camper and bed contact becomes a problem.
several in my area have 4x4 tons they pull campers with.to make their camper tow level they have had to do axle flips and numerous other thing.

most people don't give it a second thought but if you raise a camper roughly six inches .this will make the first step in the camper a heck of a stretch

Last edited:
If that truck cant drive off the lawn without spinning the tires, it's time for a tire upgrade. I have a 4wd at home. I use 2wd almost all the time. I drive diesel trucks at work. They are 4wd. They get driven off the pavement. We never lock them in either.

I've got a buddy that way. I lock the 4wd in when I think there's a possibility that I might need it. He locks his in as a last resort. He takes pride in how much he can get through without using the front gearbox whereas I'm the "ounce of prevention" kind of guy. :D

Ian

I've got a buddy that way. I lock the 4wd in when I think there's a possibility that I might need it. He locks his in as a last resort. He takes pride in how much he can get through without using the front gearbox whereas I'm the "ounce of prevention" kind of guy. :D

Ian

got that right ian--and if you get into a situation--hubs in,lever out--1/2 second to smack lever in--stuck sucks---

Been there done that

My first GMC dually was 2 wheel drive and would get stuck at the drop of a hat.

I sure wish I could have given you my $.02 worth before you did what you did.

But none the less summer is around the corner and camping will be great

Just make sure you stay on solid ground.:D

I mean if it even looks slippery I put it in 4wd. I don't have manually locking hubs. I pull the lever in the cab because I might need it rather than when I definitely need it. If it starts slipping there's nothing else to do because it's already doing what it can. :)

Ian

Ian

I mean if it even looks slippery I put it in 4wd. I don't have manually locking hubs. I pull the lever in the cab because I might need it rather than when I definitely need it. If it starts slipping there's nothing else to do because it's already doing what it can. :)

Ian

I'm of the same mindset. I don't like to get someone to pull me out when I could have avoided it. But like you said, sometimes 4wd doesn't help...been there.

Kevin

when I purchased this truck back in the summer I turned the country upside down looking for a two wheel drive.
my logic was ,1 It is intended to tow our family F.ver and will probably never be off blacktop,,,2 I don't need another 4 wheel drive because I have a 2000 model F 150 that hardly gets used,, 34,000 miles.
why waste money buying another four wheel drive.well here she sets .I love my truck but it is basically stuck right in its own track.The diesel engine is so heavy in the front that they tend to stick easy.

guess I'll just let it sit until camping season.because when I hook the 12,000 camper to it It all becomes perfectly clear why I purchased it.

worst part is payments keep coming whether I'm driving it or not..

thinking of selling that ford at all?

Start that thing at least once a week, if i were you. Diesels never do good sitting.. Make sure your tank is full of good diesel, prevents moisture and hopefully no jelling..Just an f.y.i...

I have a couple of reasons.
Intended use.I purchased this truck for two basic reasons.tow the family camper ,and use as a family vehicle on the rare occasion when we all go somewhere together.This truck will probably be driven less than 5000 miles per year

Four wheel drives generally cost about 4000-5000 more than a two wheel

fuel mileage,while not that big a difference it will add up.

I currently own two four wheel drive,96 toyota forerunner,2000 ford f-150
so i have a 4x4 if needed.

but the biggest reason ,, Bed height,the big 3,,ford,dodge,chevrolet have an insane idea that four wheel drive trucks must be at least six foot high off the ground.this makes it hard two get a fver camper level for towing without hitch modifications.If they are not close to level when towing then camper and bed contact becomes a problem.
several in my area have 4x4 tons they pull campers with.to make their camper tow level they have had to do axle flips and numerous other thing.

most people don't give it a second thought but if you raise a camper roughly six inches .this will make the first step in the camper a heck of a stretch

:agree2: sound logic for the intended use. The first time I saw a dually superduty at the auto show, the tailgate was at my nose, it reminded me of kilroy. Good job on the forethought.

Pull it out with one of your 4x4's.

Start that thing at least once a week, if i were you. Diesels never do good sitting.. Make sure your tank is full of good diesel, prevents moisture and hopefully no jelling..Just an f.y.i...

I try to drive truck at least once a week.I also use a good fuel additive and I'm very picky about where I get my fuel.these new diesel engines can really be messed up with a load of water or crappy fuel.

At this point I really don't care if I drive it or not.it seems the majority of my hobbies all require warm weather and I get the blues when I see my toys sitting around and it to blasted cold to use them.One conclusion I have come to is that ,,, Harleys and two wheel drive ton trucks are really useless with a snow on the ground ..LOL

Back