A short story of "this"....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Story..
Big Printing and Lot's of Pictures makes it even better..

Thanks for all the replies and likes :rock:

I chucked the ol' noodl'r station together in a few just to get past the issue at hand. Like "Gunn'e" used to say' "adapt and overcome" :flag: :soldier:

Heres some of the Ol' noodl'r station in action featuring a tried an true American Poulan 3.7 Craftsman counterpart VS horrid Elm=ness

[video=youtube_share;qqALpRAns8I]http://youtu.be/qqALpRAns8I[/video]

Last edited:
Would love to take you up on that challenge re: the elm. Elm's my favorite wood to burn by far (plus it's still plentiful 'round here and plenty free!) and thus my favorite to split. Sure, it can be a bear at times, but that's sort of like life in general.

Having said that, my body has forced me to finally break down this year and buy a hydraulic splitter. I can still split just about any piece I come across, but I just can't seem to do it non-stop for hours anymore. Picked up the splitter last weekend and had a ball with it. Even with that, I still ordered a Fiskers X27 today to try out and to introduce to my 14 yr. old. He showed interest two weeks ago in splitting and I started him with an 8-lb. maul and wedges. He showed a natural talent for it and had a ball, but I could tell the weight was a bit for him to keep up with it for too long. Just turned 14 years old and he's about 5-10" and 140-lbs with not an ounce of fat. Man, I was nowhere near that big when I was 14! What in the world are we feeding our kids?!?!?! :dizzy:

Even after reading about the Fiskars for so long, I've always enjoyed using the maul and felt no need for anything else, even with spaghetti elm. If I'm into a particularly knotty piece, noodling as needed, or tossing it into the firepit is always an alternative too... Now that my son is getting into it though, I'm interested to see how the Fiskars lives up to the hype.

Will know more this weekend as I just came across another couple of elms that were taken down this weekend and bucked. All we have to do is load 'em up and bring 'em home to split! I'm on a roll this season and starting to plan for another area to store/cure! Having a hydraulic splitter and another set of arms to swing will make this a very interesting summer! :rock:

z50guru great thread and PICS! I was wondering on your noddle stand are those steel post supporting the stand. If so just judging by the video when you clear the cut and the pieces fall away it looks like it would be hard to keep them from occasionally having your saw make contact with them. Is this a problem or am I just seeing things?

ELM!!! I love it!!

Yes I own a Fiskers and a 22 ton TSC but there are times for the boys and women to stay in the house. My main splitter has a 6" diameter cylinder and a 16" tall wedge, 40 years of cutting and splitting Elm has taught me a few things. :)

ELM!!! I love it!!

Yes I own a Fiskers and a 22 ton TSC but there are times for the boys and women to stay in the house. My main splitter has a 6" diameter cylinder and a 16" tall wedge, 40 years of cutting and splitting Elm has taught me a few things. :)

Yup... And a ram that pushes all the way to the wedge... Or 1/4" past if ya can swing it...:msp_thumbup:

With a sharp thin wedge on the splitter my American elm is about the same as black locust to split.
Rare that I see the bad hair day elm splitting adventure, mine just the occasional split ends :)

With a sharp thin wedge on the splitter my American elm is about the same as black locust to split.
Rare that I see the bad hair day elm splitting adventure, mine just the occasional split ends :)

temp at 0 or below helps a lot too,, back when I split with a 8lb maul and wedges I would pile the Elm up and split it when it wasn't really fit to be outside. Pops right apart at 20 below, LOL

Women, kids, mauls and 8 way wedges stay at the house! Men tangling with Elm!
297721d1369839014-35mqus9-jpg

That built in kindling/tossing handle is just a bonus! I've got a pickup full I need to split, and the splitter is over at my little bro's place. I think I'll just unload it for now.

Butch(OH),

Yeah elm just needs a bit of planning or knowing when to split and with what to split it to make it just another splitting subject.

Oh yeah nothing wrong with splitting American elm on a real cold day.
Any of the stringy woods split much better the colder it gets.

And a great thing to do when cabin fever sets in mid winter is to have an elm splitting day. :)

Back