A simple but effective aftermarket parts saw build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The build, been a while since I had messed with these, but for some reason there was an interest so I scrounged up the parts along with a piece or two I had to buy. Yet another iteration of those MS660 aftermarket builds. HAVE to say BOTH the Hyway and Cross just eat up an as delivered 54mm from those kits. The 54mm top end had to be tweaked to get to where it is. Also have to say BOTH the Hyway and Cross were really nice running saws. The Hyway being cheaper and you could just push on it...I did to prove that. And the Cross runs a little higher RPM and is a definite improvement over the as delivered cylinders, and a match of any BB kits as well. Very well executed products. Both of them. The Cross is impressive BTW because not only does it run better...its smoother. Thing it will last as well. I liked the plating on the Cross the best. They are built at the same facility as the NWP cylinders BTW. Wanted to prove you could take the "bottom feeder" of the options for those saws and make it interesting....did I succeed???

Tweaked FT54mm

How does it run??
With Stock AS Delivered Hyway 56mm BB:

With Stock AS Delivered 54mm Cross Performance Cylinder:

No doubt the Hyway and Cross "tweaked" would recapture the advantage....or would they?

Back