A simple yet effective filing guide? Roller guide?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a simple file holder but don't think I'm able to hold the correct angles to do a good job.

I also have one of the little clamp-on contraptions by Oregon with all the adjustments. A little too involved for my tastes.

I had an attachment for my Dremel. Seemed slick....until I realized how different I was sharpening the teeth. Really screwed up a chain with that one.

If there's such a thing, I'd like something inexpensive, simple, quick to use, and effective (I can take it into the shop for a grinding every so often)

How about something like the Stihl or Husqvarna roller guides? Are they gimmicks? Is there something from Pferd or Oregon I should consider?

Thanks.

"Lots of ways to sharpen chain; everyone has to find something that woks for them" - Philbert

Most of the different sharpening guides work, if you understand what you want your chain to look like when finished, and practice a little. They may each create slightly different profiles, so going back and forth between different methods can be a problem.

The clamp on guides will provide very precise, very consistent cutter if used properly.

Maybe try to find someone close by that is satisfied with their method that can teach you - sometimes that hands-on, personal instruction/demonstration/coaching can make the difference.

Philbert

"Lots of ways to sharpen chain; everyone has to find something that woks for them" - Philbert

Most of the different sharpening guides work, if you understand what you want your chain to look like when finished, and practice a little. They will often create slightly different profiles, so going back and forth can be a problem.

The clamp on guides will provide very precise, very consistent cutter if used properly.

Maybe try to find someone close by that is satisfied with their method that can teach you - sometimes that hands-on, personal instruction/demonstration/coaching can make the difference.

Philbert
To the OP, listen to this man, he knows ALOT about chain sharpening!!!!

Now I would personally say get a Grandberg to help you learn the right angles and how to hold the file....then you will be able to "freehand" sharpen your chains....

Granberg makes a nice bar-mounted file guide called "File-N-Joint". Granberg part number G-106B

Oregon makes a similar product called "Professional Filing Guide". Oregon part number 23736A

I've used the Granberg and it is easy to use and makes very precise angles.

JQ

Husqvarna roller file guide has worked great for me for the last 3-4 years. It's inexpensive, but helps keep the file on the proper plan. Most of my chains have a line on the top of the cutter to show the proper angle. I've found with my old age, a proper vise, good lighting and my cheater glasses has helped immensely. File them at home and take your time, was the key for me.

Thanks, everyone! This may be a silly question but will the Husqvarna roller guide work with a Stihl chain?

I have been very happy with my husqvarna roller guides.

+ 1

Brilliant bit of engineering - nothing else you need ...

IMGP8489.jpg

Husqvarna roller file guide has worked great for me for the last 3-4 years. It's inexpensive, but helps keep the file on the proper plan. Most of my chains have a line on the top of the cutter to show the proper angle. I've found with my old age, a proper vise, good lighting and my cheater glasses has helped immensely. File them at home and take your time, was the key for me.

There are file handles with angle indicators as well, that you can combine with the angle indicators on the teeth - or use to file at a different angle (use the recommended one unless you know why you aren't). The exact top plate angle isn't that important unless it is different between the sides of the chain.

Regardless how you do the angles, the most important is to keep the file at the right height, usually 20% of the file diameter over the top plate edge. It also is important to look closely at what the file does to the edges, don't trust any guide to get it right.

Something that many people miss is that the chain will rock over when you file it on the bar - more so with well used chains and bars of course. Just tightening the chain adjuster isn't really good enough, even though it helps. I find it convenient to push them over with the left thumb (and hold them there) before starting the file strokes.
Best is of course to take the chain off the bar and clamp it in a purpose made wise of some sort before filing - but this is more time consuming, and often not practical out in the field.

Often, but not always.

You we'd to try it to be sure.

Philbert

Some times slight modifications to the guides are needed, to get the file at the right height.

It also is important to pick the right roller guide for the chain - there are several different ones out there, made for different chain models.

+1

to the Husky guide... sharpened some 3/8" Oregon LPX with ease. I tried putting it on a Stihl 3/8" chain and one side would fit over the fine, but the other side/notch wouldn't clear the rivets. I think a bit of filing to one of the notches and it would fit over and work just fine.

Another vote for the Husqvarna roller guide. I've used a bunch of different ones over the years, and this one hands down beats them all for accuracy, quickness, and ease of use. They also don't take up a lot of space in your tool box, and are cheap.

While the roller guide made by husky is a good choice for those who can't file a chain to save their life I never cared for it as it doesn't let the file deep enough in the gullet. Can make a much better cutting chain without that guide. I wonder if it would profile the tooth more to my liking with a 3/16 file. Only tried it with a 7/32.

Granberg makes a nice bar-mounted file guide called "File-N-Joint". Granberg part number G-106B

Oregon makes a similar product called "Professional Filing Guide". Oregon part number 23736A

I've used the Granberg and it is easy to use and makes very precise angles.

JQ
These are what I use and really like them. I should try the Husky roller guide though.

Another vote for the Husqvarna roller guide. I've used a bunch of different ones over the years, and this one hands down beats them all for accuracy, quickness, and ease of use. They also don't take up a lot of space in your tool box, and are cheap.
The best part of them actually are the raker guides that is part of the combo raker/roller guides. I use those a lot, even though I quit using the rollers much a long time ago. They simply are the best raker guides out there.

Back