A simple yet effective filing guide? Roller guide?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a Husqvarna roller guide in hand today, ready to purchase. The farm store salesman asked and I told him what I was doing. He talked me out of it saying it wouldn't work. I told him I thought it would with a little modification. That's when he condescendingly looked me from head to toe. I wanted to just walk it to the counter....but was a little steamed....and he sat a doubt in my head.

I'd rather not waste the $18 if they're easy to screw up. Sounds like modifying one to fit a Stihl RS chain shouldn't be too difficult or rocket science though, correct?
I've used em on Stihl RS without modifying them, but super easy to widen the slots a little.

Thanks, all. Once I had the thing in hand and played with it a bit, it was clear what to do and how easy it is. Anyway, I got it fitted and used it this morning. Quite slick! Works great. Easy.
BTW. I purchased from another store. It was $3 less and I didn't have to deal with the condescending guy. Win, win.

I love this little Husqvarna roller guide. So fast and easy to get what I feel like are good results.... from someone who otherwise couldn't sharpen worth a poo! I've never had a chain I felt compelled to wear gloves to handle. I do now! Sliced my thumb on Sat inspecting the teeth.

Probably the best $15 I've spent.

I realize this is a very old thread but I’m wanting to learn how to sharpen saw chain and I see there were quite a few of the expert saw fellas on this thread so I’m posting this here . I do have another thread on my new purchase of an Echo 355T and when I dull the chain I want to be able to sharpen it properly !
The chain on the 16 inch bar is .050 Gauge 57 DL 3/8 LP pitch . I’m to use a 5/32 file to sharpen .
I was looking in the manual and it says when using the Oregon file holder keep it flat . I thought you kept a file to the angle of the tooth 30 degrees to the bar and also angled the file slightly upwards . So I’m a little confused on this .
Would a Husqvarna roller file guide the little small one that sits on the top of the chain Be a good fit for me ? Also can you recommend a good guide for filing the rakers down ,like the old Carlton File O Plates ? Can you still buy those as NOS from somewhere ?
Thank You
WesternSaw

Lots of ways to sharpen; everyone has to find something that works for them. Have you checked out the Granberg style, clamp-on file guides? Very consistent, very sharp cutters. Just takes a little time to master, if you have the patience:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/granberg-file-n-joint-revisited.193630/
I was looking in the manual and it says when using the Oregon SureSharp file holder keep it flat . I thought you kept a file to the angle of the tooth 30 degrees to the bar and also angled the file slightly upwards.
Oregon does recommend a 10° 'down angle' (because you lower the handle down, even though you are filing up) on some chains; STIHL generally does not. ***However, the specific file guide you mention is designed to only be used flat ( 0° down angle). There is usually an *asterisk* somewhere that states that. Even though each, different, file guide kind of does the same thing, each has its peculiarities or limitations. I generally like that style of file guide, as it works with any chain that uses that diameter file, as long as you don't need that down angle. Personally, I am happy with chains filed or ground without it, although it may make a difference for some users.

Also can you recommend a good guide for filing the rakers down ,like the old Carlton File O Plates ? Can you still buy those as NOS from somewhere ?
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-progressive-depth-gauge-tool.336757/
Philbert

Hi Philbert Thanks for replying !
I will try to respond per your paragraphs in your response
#1. No have not tried the Granberg clamp on set up. I have not tried anything yet . I’m thinking you are recommending it . Would you say it is the better of the clamp on styles ?

#2. I’m sorry I’m not getting what your trying to say . In no way is it due to you , it’s my lack of understanding . So I get that when you are sharpening the cutters the file is to be placed at the recommenced angle for that cutter
( example 30 degrees) so this means 30 degrees from the bar . So as you are running the file along the cutter at 30 degrees is the file kept flat . Just not getting that. There is a whole whack of videos on YouTube but do you know of one that is superior to the rest that explains this ?

#3 I have seen the wider stand alone raker gauges and the narrower ones . Not sure what are the best . There is also the husqavarna little roller file jigs that include a depth gauge but not sure about those .
WesternSaw

#1. No have not tried the Granberg clamp on set up. I have not tried anything yet . I’m thinking you are recommending it . Would you say it is the better of the clamp on styles ?
I really like this style of sharpening guide, but read the other comments in the thread. And watch the videos referenced in that thread (the directions are not clear). I would try the Tecomec MS1 right now, but many similar styles are available.

#2. . . .So as you are running the file along the cutter at 30 degrees is the file kept flat
Yes. The value of the 10° down angle is a subject of debate. But that file holder needs to be kept flat. The clamp on file guides (#1 above) do allow the down angle, if desired.
Chain Filing Angles diagram.png

This illustration, from a chart for Oregon chains, shows: the file diameter; 'A' - the top plate (e.g. 30°) angle; 'B' - the down angle (0° or 10°); (ignore 'C'); 'D' - the depth gauge setting.

#3 I have seen the wider stand alone raker gauges and the narrower ones . Not sure what are the best .
The Carlton 'File-O-Plates' are no longer available, as far as I understand; they were the originals.
Husqvara also makes stand alone, progressive depth gauge tools, if you don't use the roller guides.
The STIHL tools have to be imported from Europe.

More info in that thread, above, and:
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...epth-gauge-filing-guides.334238/#post-6957347
Philbert

For me the Oregon works only without the wooden file holder handle. No way to keep the file stable with that handle attached... I hold the chain portion (on the bar) with my left hand and file using the right firmly holding the holder frame. A little less stroke but a lot more precision.

For me the Oregon works only without the wooden file holder handle. No way to keep the file stable with that handle attached... I hold the chain portion (on the bar) with my left hand and file using the right firmly holding the holder frame. A little less stroke but a lot more precision.
That's why I like to use a stump vise, or something similar, to hold the guide bar steady if filing on the bar, Lets me use both hands to control the file.

I have bore cut or noodled into a round to improvise in the field.

IMG_0271.jpg

Philbert

Philbert . Thank You for taking the time to post detailed replies , much appreciated ! I will check out the Tecomec in detail ,man it sure is cheaply priced . Have you or anyone you know used it ? .I will have more questions
LOL ! This site always was a wealth of information due to the fine members on here ! Have been away for sometime due to life and other interests .
Western Saw

Lawrence -

Husqvarna makes a small roller guide that works well on the smaller chain such as what is on your Echo. The older Windsor chain manual recommended the 10 degree tilt on the file (demonstrated in picture B of Philbert's diagram) for
cutting frozen wood, rather than for general cutting. I think the Husqvarna smaller roller guide and raker guide would be the best combo for you. Focus on maintaining a consistent top plate angle (picture A) and file depth and you'll
be good to go.

Philbert sorry to say that the Tecomec does not get very good reviews . Flimsy plastic .
This one: (Tecomec MS1 - very little plastic)
Screen shot 2020-07-12 at 10.32.27 AM.png

Not this one: (Oregon 23820, or Tecomec 1107902 - more plastic, but these still work if you let them position and guide the file, and don't try to force it / fight it)
Screen shot 2020-07-13 at 9.25.36 AM.pngTecomec 1107902.png

These also have more metal (Oregon 557849; Tecomec 1107902; Granberg G106B)

Oregon 557849 .png Tecomec 1147981.png Granberg G106B.png

There are hundreds of variations of these (I have more than a dozen, but I have special issues). Kind of like chainsaws: they all kind of look alike, but have different features, construction, etc. Lots more on eBay, including 'vintage' styles!

Philbert

WoW. It’s like a high school reunion .Philbert , Jacob J , good to see the older members still here and offering good advice !
Thank You !
I will check out the Tecomec and have a look at the Husky roller guide !
Western Saw

Philbert sorry to be a pain I have been on the Tecomec website and it is still a little confusing as to which bar clamp guide is the best/sturdier more metal.
Does the MS1 have more metal or the Tecomec 1107902 which I think may also be called the DELUXE ? They are both listed as PRO models
Thank You
WesternSaw

Does the MS1 have more metal or the Tecomec 1107902 which I think may also be called the DELUXE ?
I can't access the Tecomec site right now (have to upgrade my browser. etc.). But there are also physical size differences between some of these products. The Oregon 557849 and Tecomec 1107902 are much larger than the 'standard' size models (check out some of the photos in the Granberg thread, referenced above). Some of the STIHL models (available in Europe) are HUGE! The Tecomec MS1 is more of a standard size, and what I recommend.

Phibert

I can't access the Tecomec site right now (have to upgrade my browser. etc.). But there are also physical size differences between some of these products. The Oregon 557849 and Tecomec 1107902 are much larger than the 'standard' size models (check out some of the photos in the Granberg thread, referenced above). Some of the STIHL models (available in Europe) are HUGE! The Tecomec MS1 is more of a standard size, and what I recommend.

Phibert
Thank You Philbert !
WesternSaw

Lawrence -

Husqvarna makes a small roller guide that works well on the smaller chain such as what is on your Echo. The older Windsor chain manual recommended the 10 degree tilt on the file (demonstrated in picture B of Philbert's diagram) for
cutting frozen wood, rather than for general cutting. I think the Husqvarna smaller roller guide and raker guide would be the best combo for you. Focus on maintaining a consistent top plate angle (picture A) and file depth and you'll
be good to go.
Hi Jacob
I have looked on Husqvarnas web page and there are 2 such small roller file guides 1 is for 3/8 and the other is for a mini 3/8 LO . I’m assuming the 3/8 LO would be the one I would want as the chain on the Echo 355 T 16” bar is an Oregon .050- 57 DL - 3/8 LP it calls for a 5/32 file
Thanks !

Phibert
Hi Philbert
It does not look like Tecomec is that popular in Canada . I will keep looking .Looks l8ke if I want the Tecomec MS1 I will need to order from the good ol USA
Thanks
WesternSaw

Latest posts

Back