A small score but a good story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Went to the local compost site this morning before the rains came (again) to cut some good-sized limbs down to size, and spotted a decent amount of nice Maple that someone had dropped off. I was getting the saw set-up on the tailgate and this guy pulled up next to the pile of Maple with a trailer, gets out, we said hello, and he asks "are you going to take this?"...you know how sometimes your mind thinks of like a billion thoughts in what seems to be a milisecond? Well one of the thoughts I had was that article that one of you guys posted about fighting over wood in a compost site lol...I said "no, I'm going to cut this stuff in the truck down to size". He said "are you sure you're not gonna take this?" and I said "maybe a piece or two"-I am one of the anal guys that HAS to have his pieces cut 18" or extremely close to it, and a lot of this stuff was cut smaller, and I also had the thought that God always seems to provide for me (not getting religious on you, but it's true) so I helped him load his trailer with the wood, and noticed that he had something in his ear and had what appeared to be a speech impediment, but otherwise was healthy. He told me as we were loading that he used all his firewood last Winter, and I told him I'm ready for this next Winter and then some, and that I always seem to get rewarded when I help others out with wood or just about anything, the old "what goes around comes around" routine, and he agreed. He said "something else shows up". Well, I noticed out of the corner of my eye this guy walking towards us, and I am sorry to say that my first reaction in my mind was "what the hell does this guy want" because I've seemed to become more cynical or "defensive" over time plus most times it IS something bothersome or annoying but this time I was wrong; this guy proceeds to tell us that they are dropping off big limbs of a wood "that has little nuts that fall from it" and sure enough it was Hickory! I said "oh yeah, we'll take that" and right away this guy that I let take the Maple pointed and said "yes, give it to him-he'll take it". I said "you see, we just talked about this and there it is" and we shook hands and he went home happy with a good load of Maple and I went home happy with a small but decent score of Hickory. I just wanted to share this story with you guys and to say that it actually restored some faith in my human battery....:clap: :)

Last edited:
Update!

Just a quick update on this original story; the rain FINALLY stopped this afternoon so I thought I'd scout out the compost site again, and low and behold there was another load of Maple like before-this time there was no "competition" for it, and I got a decent amount; I'd have gotten much more but the people that cut it cut it mostly small pieces so it was easier to handle, and you know I'm one of the "anal" ones that wants it 18" or damn close otherwise I'd have had more, but I got a decent score. I was kind of hoping that fellow from last week would've come by as I'd have loaded him up again, but since the weather was pretty crappy no one else was interested. If there was more time before they closed I'd have loaded up the small stuff and given it to a buddy, but thanks to Mother Nature and her frequent showers I only had a short time.

Moral of the story, as we stated before, what goes around comes around-God provides, even to the non-believers lol....:msp_tongue:

Back