A story about fellas that don't accept gifts well

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
A co-worker buddy of mine that I go firewood cutting with occasionally mentioned in conversation shortly before X-mas that smoke started rolling out of his old old circular saw the night before and that he had to finish up a dog house project with a Sawzall. That afternoon, I was in Lowes, as I often am, wandering aimlessly up and down the tool aisle leaving a trail of drool behind me and I stop in front of the circular saws. I think, what the heck. It's a perfect X-mas gift with perfect timing. I pick up a middle of the road Porter Cable saw and go over to his mom's place where I know he'll be on X-mas day and stash it in the garage on the workbench with a short note scrawled on the box in magic marker. He called and left a message on my answering machine thanking me. I thought that was the end of it.

Apparently it's been eating him alive for over a month now.

His Stihl 029 has seen it's better days, so he had a Bailey's catalog at work, mulling over the Makita 6401s, vs another 290, vs a 361. We were flipping pages and when we got to the skidding tongs, I mentioned that I had been looking for a pair of those on the cheap but had never seen any in the junk shops or flea markets I've been to.

A day or two later he starts talking about ordering himself a set of tongs and how they were on back order. Today I asked him what he was going to do with skidding tongs and he said, "Nothing, they're yours." I asked him what he did that for.. he said something about saws appearing in his mom's garage, whereupon I said, "But it was X-mas!" He said, "You don't celebrate X-mas.", whereupon I countered, "But YOU do." After a bit I said, "Ok, but I'm keeping them at YOUR house." He said that I could keep the tongs at his house if he could keep a saw at mine.

It went on for a few minutes like that till we were both tired of whining about uncalled for gifting.

Neither of us accept gifts very well,
Ian

P.S. He ended up with a 361.

Last edited:
I used to be the worst. Then one of my friends, as serious as I have ever seen him said, why do you deprive others of the pleasure of giving?

Changed for life

I'm thinking about having the Stihl dealer call him and say that they forgot to give him something with his 361. When he gets there they'll give him the dual dog/roller chain catcher with a note from me that says, "Tag, you're it."

He'll say something like, "You dirty dog!"

Ian

Ian,

I had to do that with a buddy, but with the help of the local Stihl dealer.

I knew he was eyeballing a 361 so I went in and put $$$ on a saw in my buddys name, and told the dealer to write it up as Discounted.;)

All went well untill my buddys Dad went running in to pick up a 361 for such a great price and the Cat got jerked outta the bag! LOL!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

A co-worker buddy of mine that I go firewood cutting with occasionally mentioned in conversation shortly before X-mas that smoke started rolling out of his old old circular saw the night before and that he had to finish up a dog house project with a Sawzall. That afternoon, I was in Lowes, as I often am, wandering aimlessly up and down the tool aisle leaving a trail of drool behind me and I stop in front of the circular saws. I think, what the heck. It's a perfect X-mas gift with perfect timing. I pick up a middle of the road Porter Cable saw and go over to his mom's place where I know he'll be on X-mas day and stash it in the garage on the workbench with a short note scrawled on the box in magic marker. He called and left a message on my answering machine thanking me. I thought that was the end of it.

Apparently it's been eating him alive for over a month now.

His Stihl 029 has seen it's better days, so he had a Bailey's catalog at work, mulling over the Makita 6401s, vs another 290, vs a 361. We were flipping pages and when we got to the skidding tongs, I mentioned that I had been looking for a pair of those on the cheap but had never seen any in the junk shops or flea markets I've been to.

A day or two later he starts talking about ordering himself a set of tongs and how they were on back order. Today I asked him what he was going to do with skidding tongs and he said, "Nothing, they're yours." I asked him what he did that for.. he said something about saws appearing in his mom's garage, whereupon I said, "But it was X-mas!" He said, "You don't celebrate X-mas.", whereupon I countered, "But YOU do." After a bit I said, "Ok, but I'm keeping them at YOUR house." He said that I could keep the tongs at his house if he could keep a saw at mine.

It went on for a few minutes like that till we were both tired of whining about uncalled for gifting.

Neither of us accept gifts very well,
Ian

P.S. He ended up with a 361.

Haha, I do this kind of stuff with my friends too. I usually offer money or vice versa. We both refuse it non-stop. I usually tuck it under a armrest in the guys truck or just leave it somewhere to be found later. They get mad and try to pull a fast one on me the next time I see them. :hmm3grin2orange:

Haywire thats a great story, That,s just two good freinds wanting to do good things for each other. He made a great choice in his new saw also. :greenchainsaw:

I am tough about taking gifts as well. I am usually the guy who snow plows out the neighbors. Most have given up trying to give me anything, but we had a new guy move in, and he would try to give me money, then tried to give it to my son. I was sure proud when my 6 year old spouts off "neighbors help neighbors, we don't want your money".

I did get a lot of help when I built my addition, and I sure did appreciate it too. One neighbor showed up with an excavator, a couple others showed up to help with concrete and framing. It all comes around in the end.

I have a besta friend who we play the same game, but I trumped him drilled a well set a pump and filter for him. He was b*llsh*t that I would not tell him how much. I do remind him occasionally that he has a nice m-4 with a scope. If only his wife was alittle thinner:)

Back