a story of two ladies and a subaru...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
You guys might get a chuckle outta this one.

I work in a store up here that has a rental dept. unfortunately this includes a couple chainsaws. a couple days ago a saw was rented out by Mark, and they came back and got a one of the Husky's... I was back there yesterday when the equipment came back. The girls did get some wood cut, and they admitted that the Subaru bottomed out a few times on the way out... Subaru?? Okay, then I looked at what is left of the chain on the saw... rocked out. No big deal, expected. They took off, and I checked out the rest of the thing. It takes dedication to burn up the bar. Looks like she was leaning pretty hard on the thing with that chain to get it to cut!:(

I talked to the management, and maybe perhaps I should get a small pile of wood down to the store so that I could atleast offer a short course in "how to cut".

I gotta give those ladies a E for effort tho. It takes some guts to buy a permit, rent a saw, and haul in a subaru! I should get ahold of them as they still have permits left and offer to provide the truck and I can do the cutting and get a couple loads out... idea!

You guys might get a chuckle outta this one.

I work in a store up here that has a rental dept. unfortunately this includes a couple chainsaws. a couple days ago a saw was rented out by Mark, and they came back and got a one of the Husky's... I was back there yesterday when the equipment came back. The girls did get some wood cut, and they admitted that the Subaru bottomed out a few times on the way out... Subaru?? Okay, then I looked at what is left of the chain on the saw... rocked out. No big deal, expected. They took off, and I checked out the rest of the thing. It takes dedication to burn up the bar. Looks like she was leaning pretty hard on the thing with that chain to get it to cut!:(

I talked to the management, and maybe perhaps I should get a small pile of wood down to the store so that I could atleast offer a short course in "how to cut".

I gotta give those ladies a E for effort tho. It takes some guts to buy a permit, rent a saw, and haul in a subaru! I should get ahold of them as they still have permits left and offer to provide the truck and I can do the cutting and get a couple loads out... idea!
some people,,think just cause they can get the saw started,, are experienced loggers....................and aren't even good backyard trimmers..............and I would persue your idea!!!

Many here fall into this catergory[emoji4]
Agreed! I've run into a few on here that often give their expertise but live in suburbia and pick up sticks in their 1/4 acre yard and burn them in their open fireplace but like to come across as experienced woodsman! :clap:
Regarding the women in the subaru that sounds like something my sister in-law would do. She will "try" to do everything that a man would normally do. I'm not against that but often times they do it with a chip on their shoulders looking to prove something.

When you guys rent out saws does it come with all the PPE required?

I'd be real worried about folks that have no training and no PPE hurting themselves and coming back on the rental place with a big fat lawsuit.

LOL
My dad called me today...

"Hey, I'm goin' to Waterloo today b'cause your mother burned up the microwave (huh??) and I was wonderin' what size file ya' use when ya' sharpen my saw??"
It's three-sixteenths dad.
"That can't be right son... three-sixteenths is pretty small."
It's three-sixteenths dad, trust me. Why ya' askin'?? I've got plenty of files; ya' don't need to buy me any.
"I'm gonna' get one for me..."
Oh??
"Yeah... so I can clean it up myself."
Dad, why don't ya' just grab one out'a my shop... mine are good files."
"I'm gonna' be at Blain's... they should have good ones."
You do know ya' need, or should get, files specifically made for sharpening saw chains... right??
"Oh?? Where do ya' get those??"
They should be right by the chainsaw accessories.
"Not in the tools??"
Probably not. Why don't ya' stop at the saw shop and get one from LeRoy... you're gonna' drive right by there.
"LeRoy has files??"
Yeah...
(long pause)
"Maybe I'll come up tomorrow and have ya' sharpen it again... and ya' can give me one of your used files, maybe give me a couple pointers??."
OK... probably best... but I'll give ya' a new file, not a used one.
"I'll pay ya' for it."
Yeah right... ya' gonna' pay me for the ½ dozen beers you'll drink also??
"I can start bringin' my own beer if it bothers ya'."
Just bring the saw crotchety old man.
"See ya' tomorrow."
Yep.

Lord I love that old man... even if he ain't always the sharpest stick in the pile.
I can't wait to hear the story how mom burned up the microwave :laughing:

LOL
My dad called me today...

"Hey, I'm goin' to Waterloo today b'cause your mother burned up the microwave (huh??) and I was wonderin' what size file ya' use when ya' sharpen my saw??"
It's three-sixteenths dad.
"That can't be right son... three-sixteenths is pretty small."
It's three-sixteenths dad, trust me. Why ya' askin'?? I've got plenty of files; ya' don't need to buy me any.
"I'm gonna' get one for me..."
Oh??
"Yeah... so I can clean it up myself."
Dad, why don't ya' just grab one out'a my shop... mine are good files."
"I'm gonna' be at Blain's... they should have good ones."
You do know ya' need, or should get, files specifically made for sharpening saw chains... right??
"Oh?? Where do ya' get those??"
They should be right by the chainsaw accessories.
"Not in the tools??"
Probably not. Why don't ya' stop at the saw shop and get one from LeRoy... you're gonna' drive right by there.
"LeRoy has files??"
Yeah...
(long pause)
"Maybe I'll come up tomorrow and have ya' sharpen it again... and ya' can give me one of your used files, maybe give me a couple pointers??."
OK... probably best... but I'll give ya' a new file, not a used one.
"I'll pay ya' for it."
Yeah right... ya' gonna' pay me for the ½ dozen beers you'll drink also??
"I can start bringin' my own beer if it bothers ya'."
Just bring the saw crotchety old man.
"See ya' tomorrow."
Yep.

Lord I love that old man... even if he ain't always the sharpest stick in the pile.
I can't wait to hear the story how mom burned up the microwave :laughing:
My mom is 94 and I can tell you the stories just keep getting better the older they get. Enjoy them while they are around.

my son loaned out a saw to a friend of his. it came back with a dull chain...installed backwards and the chain adjuster has busted right thru the chain cover! apparently they tightened the two nuts with the adjuster facing OUT and not in the bar.

lesson learned.

I told him that's why I never loan a chainsaw to any one.

So helping these ladies, what kinda loads are you hoping to get out? Hopefully you bring the proper PPE!!!!!!!!

If you give out instructions then you are opening the company up to even more law suits. That's why there is always a waver on the contract.

I'm real surprised at what our local Service Star Hardware store rents out to the average Joe homeowner. Those pull behind aireal lifts are pretty dangerous and they'll rent them to anyone. Home Depot around here rents out stump grinders of all things. I'm pretty used to machines and equipment and a stump grinder flat out scares me. I'm sure Home Depot would rent a stump grinder to the Subaru girls with out any instructions.

probably not interested in my load... sly, but I git the meaning.
In answer to the question, about proper PPE, we have several gear bags that contain chaps, hard hat with screen/muffs. Provided with saw. Not everybody takes it, can't say we didn't offer it.

Yes, If I were to go a cutting with these gals, I have my own ppe, and use it!

I did hand them a card and mentioned that I sell firewood (a lot of it) now that they have a taste of what it takes to process it...!!

as for opening up more liability... I am not certain of that. How about the liability of NOT instructing someone in the safe operation of equipment??
I think it would be wiser for us to show them not how to "drop start".... and, how to handle the saw safely.... as well as how to use the saw in such a manor to achieve good cutting technique and not abusing the equipment...

Stump grinder without instruction?? YIKES!!!!

I worked at an electrical supplier years ago and we were specifically instructed to never give tips on wiring. Aside from saying, You'll have to talk with an electrician.

If you offer advice on safe operation and the machine is operated unsafely you are opening yourself up to renting something unsafe. Let the product manufacturer be the expert on " safe operation"

Oh, I see your point on not giving "tips". We could post a sign:
dumb looks are free
answers $1 each
better answers are $2 each.
Correct answers are $5 each.
guaranteed answers are $100, after we consult with legal counsel.

To be honest about this, this is a relatively small community. I (along with others in the store) are known for being relatively helpful, Reasonably honest, and if we don't know something we tell them that. To my knowledge thus far, we have not had a lawsuit filed upon us for giving out advice. And I will tell you, I have heard some good ones about what people are trying to do, and the "ideas" they come up with... Plenty of disasters have been averted by steering them into another direction.

Plumbing... electrical... mechanical.... etc. We get them all. "can I use this hose on my house??" "sure, it's only gonna go pop in about a week..." Or "my 40A breaker is tripping, can I replace it with a 60A ??" "sure, I'll call the fire department for you, what is you address?" Last summer these guys were going to use bailing wire to tie the steering box back onto a Ford E250.... WTF??? I am NOT making this up.... Did you really want me to calmly sell them a roll of bailing wire?? They needed to get it home... On a Sunday. No shops open. I explained the forces involved. and "steered" them into a better plan to get the van home. Get one bolt back into the box (rest were sheered clean off) no way to get the busted pieces out. Then get some chain and a bolt to tighten it... They wrapped it around the frame and chained it on, and were back in about 1/2 hour for more chain. Said it worked better than expected. Advice?? You bet. I'd rather someone rig something good than leave it to their means and simply say "they need to talk to a mechanic". I did say that there really are only two things on a vehicle that are important. Brakes and Steering. almost everything else is optional. Gotta be able to steer and stop the pile. I don't care if it will start, or the driveshafts are falling out of it. or the radiator is blowing steam. I probably would not tell someone to fill their AC with propane either.... (but it would work)

Oh, and the electrical things.... I spent 20 years playing with light fixtures, and helping various electricians with a bunch of projects. I know more than a little, and literally will explain why things are done the way they are. 14 ga wire on a 20A breaker (not a great idea). Or any number of other ideas people get into their heads. I have drawn plenty of schematics on how to change a ballast, or wire a 3 way switch. How about the little old ladies who need a new cord on their table lamp? Could we put a new one on for them? Yes. Liability? Probably... but we do a few a year. Taking care of the older folks.

You could not count the number of times we get paged to go go help someone. either it is me to isle 5, or someone else to plumbing. Just the way it works. The customer is NOT always right. But they are still the customer.... have to be respectful (reasonably).

The managers and I are discussing the idea of doing a little more "instruction" on how to use the saws correctly. I think it would be better than what we got now.
We rent sewer snakes and explain as best as we can, how to use them things... And the brush hog, and the rototillers, and the trimmer, and pressure washers, circle saws, drills, etc. What is bad is when someone is renting something to somebody and has no clue how to use the thing. Sometimes the customer has a better understanding how to use it than we do. The texture gun for instance...

It doesn't matter how insistent someone is, if they have a "hair brained" idea, I am going to tell them that. Water runs down hill, payday is Friday, don't lick your finger. It don't matter, you simply have to have 1/4 inch drop per foot or it's gonna back up. You hook a Dimmer to your radiant heater and it's going to go up in smoke. Explaining why there is a brake on a chainsaw is better than them wondering what that handle is for... We have a electric saw in rental as well. I have explained that chaps are still probably a good idea, but they need to be aware that the electric won't stall, and likely go thru the chaps....

Flame me if you want, but I have worked for Chuck and Mark for years. This is company policy, and a LARGE part of why I was hired.

Heck yes Patrick62, I'd do the same. Better to instruct a neighbor (small town, everybody's your neighbor) on how not to hurt themselves than to say nothing and visit them in the hospital (or worse).

I know of a local Christian man who helped a scared woman stranded when her car went into ditch on a frigid snowy morning ... He hooked up some rope and a few tugs later ,her car was out safely and she was on her way .> Fast forward a week later he gets a letter from her lawyer that he somehow damaged her car and she's seeking money in court ! Keep in mind We live in the middle of nowhere it doesn't get friendlier or more rural here ..Don't believe that because everyone in a small community helps each other that you won't be sued or libel .id be concerned lending or renting anything with a motor or rotating cutter of any kind these days

...a week later he gets a letter from her lawyer that he somehow damaged her car and she's seeking money in court !

Iowa has a Good Samaritan Law...
613.17 - A person, who in good faith renders emergency care or assistance without compensation, shall not be liable for any civil damages for acts or omissions occurring at the place of an emergency or accident...

However, applying it to the above example may be difficult.

Back