A stronger/better splitter foot?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isaaccarlson

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Has anyone here left 8-10 inches of beam sticking out past the foot and then welded in three or four triangle-shaped braces 1/2 or 3/4 thick? I am collecting part for a splitter and just thought I would throw this out there and see what you guys think.

Has anyone here left 8-10 inches of beam sticking out past the foot and then welded in three or four triangle-shaped braces 1/2 or 3/4 thick? I am collecting part for a splitter and just thought I would throw this out there and see what you guys think.

It should work pretty good and be strong unless you are making a splitter that flips up to use in the vertical position.
If it was me, I'd put some flat stock in front of the angles to have a solid foot for the wood to press against. Or you might get some wood stuck between the gaps in the "foot".

I have bent a 1.5" thick x 8"tall x6" wide solid steel foot, but the real problem is the beam itself twisting in nasty gnarly stuff. This is a problem that all horz/vert units share do the the round being captivated between the foot and the wedge, the forces tend to be transmitted back to the beam. Most of what I get my hands on (free ) is nasty. My beam is bowed, slightly twisted, and the flanges have been mangled also, new beam being assembled - 2, 3" wide flange by 6" high ( 1/4" thick vertical) I beams welded side x side plus a 3/8" plate welded on top. The 3/8 plate will be perforated to allow welding to the beams flange surfaces as well as down the sides , additional straps welded across both beams on the bottom for more re-enforcement against twist forces. Flange re-enforcements will also be added in splitting area. Overkill to be sure.

Last edited:
If I understand what you're trying to do correctly, braces behind your foot should definately make your foot stronger and less likely to break or bend, although you may still have trouble with your beam twisting and flexing if you haven't done anything to stiffen it up also.

That'll definitely help. The problem arises if you're going to have a vertical/horizontal, that now your foot is 8" off the ground, which pretty much negates any advantage to going vertical, you still have to lift the round, and will be bent over and akward lifting as well.

If you're going horizontal only, welding the wedge to the beam and having a moving push plate is simpler, and gives you the ability to just keep pushing the wood off the back of the machine as it's split, onto a conveyor if you're getting fancy. Adding a 4 way wedge is easier as well.

Just my thoughts. I'm on the lookout for a cheap H/V to use in the woods behind the ATV but the big splitter behind the tractor is horizontal only, and I like it that way.

Back