A suprising scrounge and some "respectful" observations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
For weeks I had been driving by a potential scrounge under some phone lines up a bank by a farmer's field (Lower Macungie Road for you local yokel lol!); I could see Cherry from the road but also recently noticed some more small-medium trunks laying down too so I stopped and talked to the nearest homeowner and he told me the farm was owned by the next neighbor up the street, a 96 year-old woman and he said "you may have to talk to the State about it". I called the Township and explained it and they referred me to call PenDot who did do the cutting and they gave me the okay to take it. I went out yesterday to get it and as usual I surveyed the whole scene before I got started and made a plan of action in my empty head, and upon checking it all out found that about 98% of it was Hickory! So a good scrounge turned great-none of it was huge but it was nice, clean straight Hickory in sizes that were easy to handle and carry out once they were cut to size. Man, I grabbed all that I could because it was becoming grown-in and will only get worse if left go. I left there with the Bronco filled with 18" rounds and took some "odd" sizes and branches to my friend at the local stoveshop. When I was done, I do what I usually do when done scrounging off-field; I stood there by the truck (I had driven into the field and drove down the "shoreline" to get as close to the area as possible even though I still had to hike the wood back-the field for some reason was not plowed and planted as the old stalks of corn and weeds were abundant), and I paused and appreciated the scrounge (although only guys like you would attempt it lol!) but I also thought about the 96 year-old woman and her family and their history here. Across the street I saw a sign advertising 54 acres for sale/development on the edge of a property that used to belong to a fellow that owned Farr's shoe store in Allentown-he passed away years ago, and years ago I remember stopping at the house of the now 96 year-old woman asking her about another tree and who owned it and she said it was Farr's property! I guess it just hit me that I was VERY fortunate to get this great wood and also thought about those people mentioned and how they had lived and one day I'll be older and then gone too....

I guess the moral of the story is to APPRECIATE and be THANKFUL not only for a good scrounge but for the land and the people who are and were associated with it....it all has history that needs to be acknowledged. :msp_thumbup:

I guess the moral of the story is to APPRECIATE and be THANKFUL not only for a good scrounge but for the land and the people who are and were associated with it....it all has history that needs to be acknowledged. :msp_thumbup:

I'm the 6th generation on my family farm. I have a full time job non ag related that requires alot of hours. So many times I've thought about hanging up farming altogether. One of the things that drives me to do it is just what you've mentioned. I think about my ancestors, and how they made thier livelyhood soley from our farm! No secondary income [my wife works full time also]. Granted times are different now [you can no longer support a family on just a couple hundred acres]. But it is amazing to walk through a freshly worked field, smell the soil in the air, and know the for the past 100+ years my decendants have all done the same thing.

So I'll keep up the farm, and teach my children what my father taught me. Maybe some day if my children are so inclined they will teach thier kids about farming, and about the many generations before them that did the same.

Back