A Tale of Three Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok i have been working on a couple of chains as in lowering the rakers from .022' to .035' in 25'' and 36'' Stihl and Carlton semi chisel chains,im going to run some in vids before i take the saw back to the sick bay at the post office on monday.
Stay posted.(Australia Post are wankers) sorry they make me angry :msp_mad:

The exhaust is pretty high on the newer ones like around 170°. It is hit and miss on if it's a mahle cylinder or a stihl cylinder in them now too. The one I had made in 04/10 had a stihl cylinder on it.

Ok you lot here we go again.
Same test but with a more aggresive chain.
Last time i used a Stihl semi chisel off the roll chain that had .022'' rakers,so this time i took them down to .040'' rakers and did it all again.First few cuts are with stock saw.
Last time hillbilly22 times were
Stock 8.13
Modded 7.78 in the pine (first)

Stock 21.56
Modded 19.0 in the spotted gum (second)

[video=youtube;Z31g3lLn7oo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z31g3lLn7oo&nofeather=True[/video]

In the second log I timed the cuts at:

It seems to cut a lot quicker in that log with lower rakers.

In the first log I timed the stock one at:

The modded one at:

I did time everything twice and most were within .010 one my phone stopwatch.

The modded one at:

If you'll notice, the cut times are directly proportional to the load that was put on the saw. The cuts with a lighter load and higher RPM "sound" faster, but always give a slower cut time. Those cuts made with a higher load and lower RPM are faster. I've always found that to be true with my ported saws. You have to give them a very healthy load to get the fastest cut times, exactly as you've seen here.

I still say you need to throw a 36" bar on there to show the real potential of the ported saw.

Last edited:
Ya i think you are correct there Brad,when i get the saw back from the post office i will find a bigger stringybark and make the rakers about .030'' with a full skip chain on a 36'' bar and have another go.

So with the second log dryish Spotted Gum

Stock 660 and standard chain .022'' rakers best time 21.56

Modded 660 and filed rakers at .040'' best time 15.10

Thats 30 % farster

How can ya say its a 30% gain w/no stock saw to compare too? The stock saw ran i think 20 seconds last run as compared to the 19 secomd run the modded did?

Furthermore, the times I got for the vid stihlman put up yesterday shows these gains:
8.22 vs 7.97 = 3.04% gain
8.78 vs 7.66 = 12.75% gain
8.19 vs 7.94 = 3.05% gain
I would just bet by these results that there is no way thats a 30% gain in that spotted gum. The last two runs show stock 20 and modded 19 i believe. it was hardly no gain at all. I just cant see a 30% from what it was just by lowerin the rakers? BTW, why no stock saw with the rakers lowered in the gum anyways?

And furthermore the last two modded runs were slower than stock.
not talkin about the spotted gum talkin about the last 2 of the 5 modded runs.

The modded one at:

Furthermore, the times I got for the vid stihlman put up yesterday shows these gains:
I would just bet by these results that there is no way thats a 30% gain in that spotted gum. The last two runs show stock 20 and modded 19 i believe. it was hardly no gain at all. I just cant see a 30% from what it was just by lowerin the rakers? BTW, why no stock saw with the rakers lowered in the gum anyways?

You can throw out the slower cut times on the modded saw. As I pointed out yesterday, he wasn't loading the saw enough to show its potential. It doesn't sound right when making the cuts, but the fastest cut times will have the saw majorly loaded down, more than I would in normal use. You have to put that extra power to work. Otherwise, you end up with a saw pulling 2,000 more RPMs in the cut and not much faster cut times, exactly as shown in these vids.

At any rate thats falt out ridiculous to say that was a 30% gain in that spotted gum.. comeon now guys.............
I know you didnt claim it Brad, but my goodness man......
We all know that the gains are still the same. There is NO stock saw to compare to that 660 goin thru that gum. But, you as well as I and everyone knows it prolly would have ran high 15's low 16's at worst.

I didnt say anything yesterday out of respect and not tryin to hurt Brads feelings. But start throwin around 30% gains.......well dont blame me!

You can throw out the slower cut times on the modded saw. As I pointed out yesterday, he wasn't loading the saw enough to show its potential. It doesn't sound right when making the cuts, but the fastest cut times will have the saw majorly loaded down, more than I would in normal use. You have to put that extra power to work. Otherwise, you end up with a saw pulling 2,000 more RPMs in the cut and not much faster cut times, exactly as shown in these vids.

I understand Brad. But if we do that it will take a 95 foot bar and a 100,000 year old redwood to show its potential. From whats been shown it just aint there. And furthermore, from what i understand its hard to get good gains out of a 660 because they run so well outta the box. now thats not to say it cant be done though.

There are more gains to be had there, but I don't put them in most customers work saw.

32" full comp 8-pin

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Vl77TVtfnaM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
How can ya say its a 30% gain w/no stock saw to compare too? The stock saw ran i think 20 seconds last run as compared to the 19 secomd run the modded did?

And furthermore the last two modded runs were slower than stock.
not talkin about the spotted gum talkin about the last 2 of the 5 modded runs.

At any rate thats falt out ridiculous to say that was a 30% gain in that spotted gum.. comeon now guys.............
I know you didnt claim it Brad, but my goodness man......
We all know that the gains are still the same. There is NO stock saw to compare to that 660 goin thru that gum. But, you as well as I and everyone knows it prolly would have ran high 15's low 16's at worst.

I didnt say anything yesterday out of respect and not tryin to hurt Brads feelings. But start throwin around 30% gains.......well dont blame me!

I understand Brad. But if we do that it will take a 95 foot bar and a 100,000 year old redwood to show its potential. From whats been shown it just aint there. And furthermore, from what i understand its hard to get good gains out of a 660 because they run so well outta the box. now thats not to say it cant be done though.

WOW, your really on quite the Rant here EH?

Latest posts

Back