A Tale of Three Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In fir sure, but not in anything I cut or burn.:msp_wink:

Stihlman - I thought you hadn't done the same chain in the larger wood. As Brad mentioned, a ported saw with a good sized bar in big wood makes a more obvious difference than in smaller wood.

Andy - I've used a very aggressive chain in oak, sycamore, ash, apple, elm, pecan, cherry, and maple with very good results. It won't last all day long, but it will cut enough to make firewood for a few weeks for a Taylor T500 furnace. Another thing east coasters forget is we do have hardwoods out here, we just have so much Fir that a lot of time is spent cutting that. And you really don't 'log' for hardwood here much. With 55" rain a year, a lot of stuff grows here and gets big. I have 3 Oaks on the property with trunks bigger than 3' DBH. But we let them stay coz they look awesome.

Here's our front 'yard', but it basically looks like this 360*:

medium.jpg

Cant do anymore with the modded saw for awhile its at the post office waiting for Australia Post to work out what they are going to do about the broken off oil cap tab thingy ,during being posted between Matt and me.:(

I usually stay out of these 'agument' threads, and what I'm about to post might me sound like an idiot (been there, done that, will do so again).

1. Get a broken-in stock 660 & the modded 660 in question in the hands of an experienced user.

2. Find a log of suitable size & wood type for the stock 660.

3. Find a bar & chain suitable for said log.

4. Do videos of both saws using the same b&c in the same log.

Then:

5. Find a log of suitable size & wood type for the modded 660 in question.

6. Find a bar & chain suitable for said log.

7. Do videos of both saws using the same b&c in the same log.

Then:

8. Let the folks viewing the videos decide if the modded 660 in question performs as well as expected compared to the stock 660.

Or am I overlooking something?

well, you seem to be the only one that wont let it die.

Video's and times from video's are too subjective anyway, don't know why you care so much about something that is none of your business. The guy bought said saw, and likes it. So wtf?

+1 wtf

Cant do anymore with the modded saw for awhile its at the post office waiting for Australia Post to work out what they are going to do about the broken off oil cap tab thingy ,during being posted between Matt and me.:(
I cant imagine my saw being stuck in postal i would freak out especially a 660

Stihlman441, does your 660 have a Mahle of Stihl topend? Just curious.

Not sure which one it is.
You put up a pic up back near the start of this thread showing the marking Stihl on the left side (if the intake is at the rear) of the topend.There is nothing on mine and the right side cant see unless i take the topend off,but there is numbers and letters on the top near the spark plug.B inside a cycle and T16M and a S under.

181111d1303556696-picture-1262-jpg

Last edited:
Back