A tree covered in vines, should I chop the vines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to let you guys know, I did cut the vines at the bottom. Here a couple pics I took this morning. Thanks everyone!
0be2c86eabb0eb81465e91f2152b4c44.jpg
3084a391408654484e1802b0c6ce7ce7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. Since it does not sound like the tree is in mortal danger I'll let it continue. There are some birds up there who seem to enjoy the ivy. Thanks again!

Pointing back to the reply from the BC Coast Arborist, trees with ivy can be in more mortal danger han without the ivy. With extra weight and wind sail during storm, rain or snow being amplified.

Removal reduces sail and weight.

Pointing back to the reply from the BC Coast Arborist, trees with ivy can be in more mortal danger han without the ivy. With extra weight and wind sail during storm, rain or snow being amplified.

Removal reduces sail and weight.

Thanks Mario, seems to be doing pretty good now without the vines.

I would leave it alone, or at best pick a single vine and cut only one vine at a time. That would slow down the invasion and not be such an eye sore with a bunch of dead vines hanging on the tree. By cutting one at a time the rest of the living vines will cover up the dead one in short order.

I would leave it alone, or at best pick a single vine and cut only one vine at a time. That would slow down the invasion and not be such an eye sore with a bunch of dead vines hanging on the tree. By cutting one at a time the rest of the living vines will cover up the dead one in short order.

A little late sb47, vine were cut a couple yrs ago, but thanks for the advice

Latest posts

Back