A Western Australian’s milling progress

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sundowners

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
66A4A543-45B0-4892-B986-7B6DEE261DBE.jpeg 78BE844F-0507-48AD-8DDC-9CF547353BD3.jpeg 13477DF8-2F52-41CC-8368-9AC6D27A0CA1.jpeg 1F380DE2-63BC-4952-B063-DD957C8ADCA7.jpeg 265233B6-4486-4F61-BD33-6F8F60A2A2FD.jpeg AD565486-F1C9-4434-A48C-7530ED6D931A.png AFCA1D89-FCEC-4777-83DF-3F0FA34ED94E.jpeg 2D87D40C-FBA2-40E2-890B-E6BC4FFDB06B.jpeg Long time ghost but first time post!
So a couple weekends before last I finally got to give my 36” GB a go on the 088 and second hand China mill I got off gumtree on a 4.5m by approx 700mm wide seasoned jarrah stick my dad dropped years ago. The first couple cuts went well considering I maxed out the cut width and I was pushing the mill.
The following weekend I started reading a bit about winching the mill and even a few setups as I already had the log on an incline and moving it wasn’t really after some recent rain.
After having a look around Saturday morning for a winch with no luck I ended up just going for a cut anyway, to find the ideal winch in my folks shed!
Found the winch really helped keep the cut at the perfect speed just going off rpm(the ear tacho). Last weekend I went one step further (now I only have half a log left and the skid steer can lift it) and set it up on our fab shop work horses, god the back was loving not bending over! I’m hoping to now mill most of my timber much the same way, unless I find some big bastards that can’t be moved, better get to ordering the 56” GB and a few loops.
Here’s a few photos from the course of the log.
I’m gunna log any other cuts and mods in this same thread aswell so anyone in a similar location, ie BobL feel free to chime on anything you’s see a miss.
PS the dog buggers off as soon as the saw starts, must notice I’m wearing earmuffs.

Cheers!

Attachments

• ACC4CCDB-5652-4CBA-81E4-BFD86D12791C.jpeg
    ACC4CCDB-5652-4CBA-81E4-BFD86D12791C.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 8
Thanks for posting the ice pics. Love the colour of Jarrah sawdust - it reminds me of when dad used to come home from work his boots and pockets were always full of it.

Instead of a winch consider setting the logs up on a slope, - if you get the chain setup right and put some plastic skids on the mill rails the saw should self feed.
Also get your self a remote throttle to reduce arms spacing as it reduces shoulder ache.

Thanks for posting the ice pics. Love the colour of Jarrah sawdust - it reminds me of when dad used to come home from work his boots and pockets were always full of it.

Instead of a winch consider setting the logs up on a slope, - if you get the chain setup right and put some plastic skids on the mill rails the saw should self feed.
Also get your self a remote throttle to reduce arms spacing as it reduces shoulder ache.

The remote throttle is something I’ve been reading about this morning as the weekend just gone I was noticing how uncomfortable it was holding the trigger and running the mill and that was only on a 4.5m cut.
One thing I would like a bit more explanation on was the progressive depth guages you’ve talked about before and how I’d set them up if that’s okay.

The remote throttle is something I’ve been reading about this morning as the weekend just gone I was noticing how uncomfortable it was holding the trigger and running the mill and that was only on a 4.5m cut.
A partial loose zip tie that you can slip on/off the throttle is a good start - I've used that on mates saws down south quite a few times.

One thing I would like a bit more explanation on was the progressive depth guages you’ve talked about before and how I’d set them up if that’s okay.
Rather than repeat myself have you see the explanations in the Milling 101 thread?

There's a super nerdy thread in the "Hotsaws" forum on progressive raker setting.
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...ly-progressive-depth-raker-generators.114624/
The thread title mentions a FOP - it's a Carlton chain "File-o-plate" raker depths gauge but the thread is mainly about progressive raker settings in some detail

If you are ever up in Perth I'm happy to run through it with you in person.

A partial loose zip tie that you can slip on/off the throttle is a good start - I've used that on mates saws down south quite a few times.

Rather than repeat myself have you see the explanations in the Milling 101 thread?

There's a super nerdy thread in the "Hotsaws" forum on progressive raker setting.
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...ly-progressive-depth-raker-generators.114624/
The thread title mentions a FOP - it's a Carlton chain "File-o-plate" raker depths gauge but the thread is mainly about progressive raker settings in some detail

If you are ever up in Perth I'm happy to run through it with you in person.

Thanks for that it was a decent read, I think I’ll be reading it a few more times with some chain in hand before it completely sinks in.

A568094C-136C-49EC-8C4F-B24CE85DF880.jpeg
94209F57-2361-4E41-B5E0-B527C58C5184.jpeg
The rather awkward cut I made on the weekend, but I guess that’s just chainsaw milling, the result was beautiful though.
53A6F6DE-7DF3-4291-904F-6E76894D95E7.jpeg
And the reason I need a bigger bar, very large Marri tree in decent condition.
There also happens to be a few nice pieces of Sheoak down in the surrounding area which will get further inspection.

Back