About to buy this Homelite XL chainsaw - opinions needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenazes

Reaction score
Hi there

I'm about to buy a used Homelite chainsaw. It has a sticker with XL on it and 10722-E that must be the model number.

It is a 14" blade saw

The saw is almost as new. The seller told me that it didn't work for several years. At first he wasn't able to get it to run, but after a fuel change and spark-plug cleaning it ran.

This is my first saw and I'm a virgin in this stuff. My goal is to cut some firewood and some old tree branches but nothing larger that 8-10"

Is this a good reliable saw that will not brake down easy?

I can't find manuals or tech specs anywhere... does it have the power to cut what I need?
Does anyone have one of these? or maybe can send me the manual?

Being a few years on the shelve is there anything I have to test/try or parts need changing (I have no idea how many or even the manufacturing date of the saw)?

Thanks !!

Attachments

• saw.JPG
    saw.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 40
They sell here in the US around me for 50-100 bucks. They'll cut what you described. You can get a good one and if you treat it right with good fuel, oil, and a sharp chain you'll have a usable tool. My dad has a Homelite 3.7 from the the early 1980s and that thing is still a beast. They are marketed to homeowners who do occasional saw work; they're not professional saws. You didn't mention the price...but a running chain saw beats a hand saw or axe any day in my opinion.

They sell here in the US around me for 50-100 bucks. They'll cut what you described. You can get a good one and if you treat it right with good fuel, oil, and a sharp chain you'll have a usable tool. My dad has a Homelite 3.7 from the the early 1980s and that thing is still a beast. They are marketed to homeowners who do occasional saw work; they're not professional saws. You didn't mention the price...but a running chain saw beats a hand saw or axe any day in my opinion.
Where are they sold?

Thanks for your help guys
Selling price will be around 100 bucks
I've searched a lot about Homelite chainsaws and I've found bad reviews about the new ones and good reviews about the older ones. Does anyone had an idea about how old this saw would be?
Are there any details I should check?
Around here there is not much offer on chainsaws, you have the expensive good ones like sthil and then the chinese that are rebranded in Europe. the rebranded chinese sell for around 170 bucks as new
My goal is not to spend much on this tool as I will be using it just from time to time.
thanks

Thanks!
They are cheaper over there... you have a lot of offer on used saws and around here there are only a few on them and people tend to sell them at high prices
Homelite just got here and you can only find the most recent models. This particular saw was brought from Canada a few years ago.
This is why I just don't know anything about this being a good saw or not and about how old it could be...
I can't even find specs like CC for this model.
If anyone has a manual, please ...

considering that they sold for $69.99 25 years ago, and most parts are NLA, $20 is the top price, $100 is insane.
Hell, 10 years ago when some of the parts were still available, Homelite sold the fuel cap for $25.....

No, $20.00 is NOT the top price...I just showed you examples. Truculent much?

Your original post made it sound like that they are for still for sale "new" here somewhere, I was just curious as to where. I would have bought several, and parted them out on E-bay and made some good money, as they haven't been for sale for at least 15 years, and most replacement parts are NLA.
Most of your examples aren't even of that model, had to look "truculent" up though.
So your posts do contribute something,
at least.......

I'd guess the saw above is 1970s. And $100 is way too much, even in Portugal. A big problem in these old saws is the oil pump assembly. The diaphragm goes bad and you can't find one. I had a 28cc (or maybe 25cc) Homelite XL that was perfect except for oil pump assy. Ending up parting it out - and made more money than selling as a good runner.
By model #, here is the parts list.
http://www.partswarehouse.com/Homelite-Super-2-XL-Chain-Saw-UT-10722-E-s/15651.htm

I think I'd buy a Chinese copy saw before above Homey.

Thanks guys!
it will definetely be hard to get parts... and 70's are long gone... it is older than I thought

I think that if the saw is working really well I will offer a lower price and go from there

Back