absurd "pro" tips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was circa 1985-86, wasn't a whole lot of cameras running around then, have pictures of the aftermath somewheres, at my folk's place, but that would be like digging through the library of congress without a dewey decimal to guide me, just 7000 bags of pictures and nothing labeled.

When milling I often have to refuel once maybe twice per cut, saw needs a couple of minutes to cool down prior to being turned off, much quicker and easier to fuel while still running. The exhaust on the saw is still going be hot even with the saw turned off so the risk of a potential fire is still there. Only other risk may be from a spark, which should not be there. Gotta risk it to get the biscuit

And this brings us back on track to our next couple of Absurd 'pro' tips.
Try and fuel you saw running a couple of times per day to increase/maintain stamina and productivity.
*note; If the saw can be filled quickly without the RPM,s dropping and saw stalling then this would indicate an inadequate vent.

And now one of my fav's and yes it involves lighting gasoline on fire. It's one I thought about adding to this cool thread for awhile
This one was shown to me in '93 when I was tree thinning north island and it's called West coast lunch fire
All the kids are doing it.

You can use an oil jug or just a sandwich bag or wax paper in the ground also works really well too.
Cut the oil jug in half and put about 30% oil in it and the rest gas. Dig a hole and put your jug or whatever you choose to line it with and light it up. In those thinning blocks there never would be a chance at finding dry wood. We still do this all the time on $hitty days like today. May add a few sticks to help too.

When milling I often have to refuel once maybe twice per cut, saw needs a couple of minutes to cool down prior to being turned off, much quicker and easier to fuel while still running. The exhaust on the saw is still going be hot even with the saw turned off so the risk of a potential fire is still there. Only other risk may be from a spark, which should not be there. Gotta risk it to get the biscuit
I'd just turn it off after idling for 20 seconds, after all they're still makin saws.
Fantaski

Yeah they are still making saws but at a little over $3000 for an 880 I won't be risking it, after sitting at full throttle pulling a 72"bar for a full tank 20second cool down won't do anything
But your risking burning $3000 & epidermis for a few minutes anyway. By not really risking $3000 & losing a few minutes your pretty well guaranteeing your epidermis.
I'm a 50:1 runner so I know my saw is running cooler anyhow.
Tranks

But your risking burning $3000 & epidermis for a few minutes anyway. By not really risking $3000 & losing a few minutes your pretty well guaranteeing your epidermis.
Tranks

When arguing with your brick walls, do they ever talk back to you?

Because it is too lean for a saw that runs 8hrs full throttle under huge load only stopping long enough to sharpen the chain. I burnt one saw up running 50-1.

Fanks
I haven't had that misfortune, stihl run saws at 50:1 under full load for thousands of hours & warrant them for that mixture as well, plus they recommend stopping the saw for refuelling as well.
Maybe I should rebel these simple things in life & live on the wild side & somehow benefit from the experience
Thankinski

Tranks

Read your own posts!!......Your the one that stated that you've watch fuel boiling as you've fuel up your saw!!!.....And if I remember correctly you also stated you did this day in and day out!

Read your own posts!!......Your the one that stated that you've watch fuel boiling as you've fuel up your saw!!!.....And if I remember correctly you also stated you did this day in and day out!
Yes, but it wasn't running & it was very hot weather, fuel boils when it's hot in those magnesium cased 076's.
Thansk

Back