Accepted ribbon colors to mark trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My paint gun is modded. I ground off the lower finger-hold on a steel handle, and hung the longer trigger from the plastic kind. Means less tired hand at the end of the day. I don't share that thing at all.

I prefer the Tree Coder paint guns. Actually, I think they are really ink guns. To use paint, you have to do a delicate mod. You take something with a point, and pound out the screen on the bottom. Then they'll work fine in paint, and clog up less than a Nelson. They chew right through most of it. The forty million year old chunky paint that's been sitting in a van box might cause a bit of a clog....

They have fewer parts and a non mechanical person like me, can take them apart, fix stuff and put them back together without any "spare" parts left over. They last.

In a sense I actually feel a little bit of pity for the dude. This nonsense of his didn't just start when he joined AS. It probably goes back many years. It should have been addressed when he was a kid. I think if nobody responds to anything he post just maybe he'll go away for good. The ban won't last forever will it?

In a sense I actually feel a little bit of pity for the dude. This nonsense of his didn't just start when he joined AS. It probably goes back many years. It should have been addressed when he was a kid. I think if nobody responds to anything he post just maybe he'll go away for good. The ban won't last forever will it?

From what I understand the ban is permanent this time.

He'll probably come back with a different user name. I think he was Superfire, or something like that, before he started posting as HBRN. If he shows up again he won't be hard to spot.

I agree...he has some serious problems. And I agree that they should have been addressed at an earlier age. Maybe they were and it just didn't take. But that doesn't mean that his foolishness has to be condoned by the rest of the AS tribe.

Most of us on here know, to one extent or another, what we're doing when we go to the woods. We knew his methods and his advice were bad. Some of the newbies wouldn't know that, however,and blindly following his advice could get them hurt. Or worse.

It was time for him to go.

I have ran across a few persons before in the real life, who have given a false impression of themselves as fallers/tree workers, and they have made me wonder what on earth might have been their motives to do so. Pretending to be the low-rank, broke, uneducated, probably dead or crippled at an young age blue collar riff raff - what's the point? I mean, posing a doctor, lawyer, pilot, banker, test driver, whatever, it might be even profitable, at least has some prestige in it. That makes me sense. Besides there is plenty of information to be found in the web about those trades - to get the facts right on line. When it comes to the bush, the only way to get the facts right is the hard way.

I wonder if the dustmen meet often the characters saying - "Hey, I've done that too as a pro, you know. And that's not the way to empty a bin right."

I can't believe I missed the end of HBRN ! We here adopt British Standards guidelines and rules when dealing with tree retention on site although most developers went with the " make sure it will stand long enogh for us to get out of here" method ! Along with a bust country we now have loads of dead / diying trees on half finished developments.

I have ran across a few persons before in the real life, who have given a false impression of themselves as fallers/tree workers, and they have made me wonder what on earth might have been their motives to do so. Pretending to be the low-rank, broke, uneducated, probably dead or crippled at an young age blue collar riff raff - what's the point? I mean, posing a doctor, lawyer, pilot, banker, test driver, whatever, it might be even profitable, at least has some prestige in it. That makes me sense. Besides there is plenty of information to be found in the web about those trades - to get the facts right on line. When it comes to the bush, the only way to get the facts right is the hard way.

I wonder if the dustmen meet often the characters saying - "Hey, I've done that too as a pro, you know. And that's not the way to empty a bin right."

Courage is a hard thing to come across, show, learn, develop and for some to see or observe or witness, that said, I think a lot of these types that want to fake something they are not, usually subconsciously pick a career or hobby choice that reflects a courageous or "manly" appearance. This is or has been primarily observed to be done by those that lack their own genetic courage and/or it certainly wasn't developed to any degree by their father or surroundings, or in short a coward, therefore they try to "make up for it" by the telling of BS or coming off as more than what they are. Ideally, they hope to not come across others that know the difference between the real thing and the fake. Those that get good at playing this game, likely want to test their "craft of BS" against other unsuspecting folks and see how far or what they can get away with.

As is/was observed with HBRN in this setting/forum, his crap got called out basically everytime, as this is a hard audiance to spread BS to about logging and other chainsaw related practices, do to the level of real people that actually do this stuff for a living or trade. It was quite apparent he got his kicks off of it. It was also quite apparent he was attempting to make up for something that was lacking either genetically or in the raising of him, I speculate to a degree it was courage. He attempted the logger theme and then it was the firefighter with a saw theme, then he tries the "thinker" theme, using his brain over his back (because its injured) theme.

That said, little quarter is give in the "hard trades", after you turn 18 years old, as at that point you are an adult and you should know right from wrong and overtime, the smart, learn their limitations, as has been coined, "A man has to know his limitations." and I might add, "and be realistic about those limitations". Basically, don't BS yourself, about yourself, and you will not likely find it necessary to BS others. Some people are never taught this, due to the weak society that we live in, nobody calls a bluff and conversely few ever have to prove their mettle (Mettle = A person's ability to cope well with difficulties or to face a demanding situation in a spirited and resilient way).

As was easily noted everytime HBRN was asked for personal knowledge or experience there was an immediate failure to produce, and what was produced (videos) proved that BS had been spewed, poor tools in use, lack of handling skills and lack of knowledge and experience were all observed, easily.

My reasons for such writings is I have 15 years in the bull riding business and every week for years, I observed quite possibly the most premium attempts at BS'ing and Con'ing about courage or manlyness, that was then minutes later "Called out", without fail, to the point of some uncontrollably shaking or whizzing themselves or thowing-up due to lack of genetics or upbringing or both to cope with what is involved or required in such a sport, which involves little by way of smarts, yet quite a lot by way of courage and/or in many cases, just shear stupidity, but it is most always given the title of courage and manlyness, however inaccurate it can be at times. Many people like to study different things in life, that others will simply look past, I have been known to look past some key ingredients found in a successful human, but I have always been a student of courage, as it truly does separate the men from the boys in many cases, and its hard to BS it, to those that know what it is, and it isn't ever judged by words, but by action, and thus it appears to me to be one of the easiest things to test for, and one of the hardest things to BS or lie about if you don't have it, and conversely, to hide if you do, truly have it.

Saying that to say this, in bull riding, after awhile it becomes very easy to see the pattern, there are slight variations to the pattern, but usually you can spot the individual/s from a mile away, without them even saying a word, and if they opened their mouth, it only removes all doubt, if you see them begin to "perform" or actually go through with it physically, it only fulfills the prophecy with 99% accuracy the other 1% was chalked up to shear, dumb luck.

The faking to be a doctor or lawyer or wise businessman certainly happens, but it usually happens by someone who is more likely a "thinker", and is more conscious and thought out, what is lacking there is much less likely to involve the courage ingredient and in some cases might actually be more sinister or striving to achieve more materialwise, than something like the want of respect due to courage found. Usually there is a clearer goal in mind for the "thinking" BS'er.

It has been my observation in logging or the cutting of trees "en mass", it requires at times loads of smarts and loads of courage and many times a calculation of both, and in its truest form, "dumb luck" does NOT get you very far in either production or in staying alive or injury free when attempting to perform at a profitable speed or production level, which is not to say, you won't try something stupid every now and then, after you have calculated your odds and figured your skills will pull you through, so you push on. Therefore it appears that on many levels the chainsaw trades or logging type of skills, are somewhat hard to BS to any successful degree, as there are so many different ways to observe the lack of the skills, knowledge or experience.

Just a thought, LOL.

Sam

Weealll, he had me worried that I had missed the changing of the fire triangle into more of a line.:msp_biggrin:

I think I will miss him. He was fun to deal with, although he seemed to be getting more upset at the end.

Back