Actual Arborist Advise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4seasons

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I cut down an Ash tree a few years ago due to it being right at the corner of my tool shed. It had been struck by lightning a couple of times and it was dieing from EAB. I love ash trees and hate that they are dieing. This stump is sprouting new growth now. I would like to save it but not where it is currently growing. Is there a way to move some of these fresh sprouts and keep them alive?
I have a tree in my field in the same condition. I was thinking of some kinda graft or digging up part of the stump and moving it.
817a9c767245246b4aedfde679d4ddfb.jpg
ac0892fabf46e85a5643295a81e2372e.jpg
ea848769623caa0ee690662f8006c815.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

yes! it is quite simple actually. take cuttings. use a root stimulator and plant them. you have enough for a good sized ash sapling nursery. I have an evergreen shrub in one area of my yard that was started as a cutting. also, have a good sized tree that was a cutting from a hedge. plenty info online on the ins n outs on taking cuttings and prepping them to grow. good luck! ~

You could try rooted cuttings.

You won't be able to successfully transplant (easily) those. They are attached to a very large root system...not like a seedling. I'd collect seeds and start those instead if it were me.

You will have to plan to treat it for the long-term to prevent EAB...

Back