Adding a hydraulic log lift to my splitter.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Burnette

Muzzy17is
Reaction score
I'm looking at adding a hydraulic lift to my splitter. Just wondering if anyone on here has done this to their's and how did you plumb in the second valve. I'm thinking a couple of black iron pipe elbows and nipples and either join them with a union or having some real short connecting lines made up. Looking for recommendations and pics.

Black iron fittings are only good for return line (no pressure) applications. They are not pressure rated for the working side of the system. Use only hydraulic fittings and plumbing for the high pressure side.

That said, you could plumb in a second valve off the return line side of your original valve and it would work fine. Another option would be to buy a 2-spool valve and totally replace your existing valve. A lot of how and why you decide to do it one way or the other depends on funds and parts availability. If you buy a single valve or 2- spool valve, make sure the pressure relief setting is capable of high enough pressure for you to not lose tonnage on your splitting function. If you install a second valve and it has a lower relief setting, make sure you plumb it down stream from your existing splitter valve. If installed before the splitting valve the lower relief valve will pop open first effectively reducing splitting power.

Hope that helps and makes sense

Just to muddy the waters a bit, why is it recommend to use a power beyond port to a second valve instead of just hooking up two valves in series?

I have an idea but would rather have someone more knowledgeable explain it better.

Actually the power beyond valve would be the first one in line. The reason is if you put two valves in the series and you actuate the second valve the tank port of the first valve (which is going to the second) is seeing full pressure. power beyond sends unused flow through but has a separate tank connection for return if the function in that valve is used.

Some valves can be put in the series some cannot. it depends on how strong the casting is and if the T port can take full pressure.

also if you have a second valve it has to have a relief because the relief in the first valve references the tank port and it would no longer work. so you need a relief valve in the second valve. but you still need the relief valve in the first valve also to protect pump when the first valve is actuated.

with the power beyond as the first valve the relief valve in that valve would still work for both because it still has a tank connection as a reference pressure.

so two ordinary valves in series will work if:
a. the casting is strong enough on the first valve to take full system pressure on the tank port, and
b. if you have a relief valve in both valves.

It’s way better to have power beyond as the first one though.

Some valves have higher return pressure ratings. If you have a low rpr on your first spool, the pressure builds on the second spool and will acuate the idle cylinder on the first spool and may cause injury and most probably seal failure of first valve. Prince is near 500psi rpr and NTool/Chinese might be 50psi. The lift circuit might not reach 500 psi if using prince up front but most likely will exceed 50 psi.
The power beyond (I recommend using) will permit full hydraulic pressure to both "single" spools.

I feel safer with a hydraulic or cable powered lift platform over the cabled hoist since the lift/platform should fail in a controlled direction. There are youtube videos that show cable operated lift tables that are easy to copy. If you can weld or have someone willing to help you, my choice would be hydraulic.

I am building my 4th splitter with a lift and some other hydraulic assists. I have always used a manifold for the two spools I need with the main valve being at the end. You probably will need some restriction for the lift and a set of small hoses. I have used as little as 1/4'' and worked well. You do not want your lift to move fast. I do not like any black iron fittings of any kind because they leak. Hoses are cheap non leaking and they take the vibration. Thanks

My last splitter I put a tail gate lifting boom changed over to hydraulic with a grapple for big wood. I had a larger work table too. I got tired of picking up the bigger wood to split again. I sold it. My first homemade splitter lasted around 25 years. If I was going to build another splitter I would use one of my cub cadets so it’s mobile.

Latest posts

Back