Adding clutch brake to 031 AVE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skoglunc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there, new to the group. I recently picked up a 031 AVE and it did not have the clutch brake style side cover. I found a guy, however, who had some old 031 parts and pieces and he happened to have an 031 side cover WITH the clutch brake. So I cleaned everything up and went to install the new side cover and it doesn't seem to want to go. Is there anything special I need to do to make it work? There is a pin in the side cover that looks like it should go into the body of the saw, and it lines up with a hole, but does not go in. The lever does go up and fits in the slot in the safety bar, and it does have the spring action. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

There are 2 different brake setups for the 031's. There is the typical type with a brake band which clamps onto the clutch. The other one involves an "isolating clutch". It is a unique design. The 2 are not interchangeable. The clutches and side covers are both different.

I should be home in a couple hours and will post a couple pictures. I imagine that will definitely help. Thanks.

Update. I did a little tapping and the aforementioned pin went in and the side cover went on. BUT, how does it engage/disengage? I’m moving the safety bar back and forth and I don’t feel any difference. I can pull it all the way back (disengage) and when I let it go, it goes all the way back forward, to where I would think it would be engaged. Also, I’m not sure if all the pictures loaded so here’s one for sure.E47D8BB9-FF97-415B-BF1C-CBFBAF9C124B.jpeg

There are 2 different brake setups for the 031's. There is the typical type with a brake band which clamps onto the clutch. The other one involves an "isolating clutch". It is a unique design. The 2 are not interchangeable. The clutches and side covers are both different.

Any thoughts based off the pictures?

It looks like you have the correct clutch/brake cover match, however you are missing the cover for the brake spring and the plate on the bar mount. I think I would look for those parts before used it. This video gives a good view of the inside.

Is this the pin and hole you are referring to?
20200128_191007.jpg

It looks like you have the correct clutch/brake cover match, however you are missing the cover for the brake spring and the plate on the bar mount. I think I would look for those parts before used it. This video gives a good view of the inside.

Is this the pin and hole you are referring to?
View attachment 792905

Yes those holes. I did a little more aggressive tapping and it did go in. My apologies, I do have the cover for the brake spring. I just hadn’t put it back on yet for testing purposes. As is though, I slid the brake on, pin went in securely, and the bar went into the hand guard, but I don’t see how it functions. If I operate the brake by itself I can feel the spring “clutch”(if I may) operate, but not when I assemble it.

You should at least hear it click. A true test would be with a bar/chain on. No need to run it just pull the chain around by hand.
so I just did that and the problem is that the safety bar will not slap far enough forward for it to click. I took a video but it’s too large to share on here. Is there any way to send it?

Back