• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

ADHD or PAID

Capitalist

Capitalist

Addicted to ArboristSite
ADD and ADHD have become very prolific. It is known to be extremely overdiagnosed.

I have a kid in my household being treated for it and I do not believe this child has it period.

If I was gonna call it something I would call it PAID, (Personal Application of Interest Disorder).

She cannot pay attention in school and does very poorly. She is off in her own world most of the time.

Doctors will say, "ADHD it's like she has no control of the remote changing channels in her mind."

Well, bullshit.
I am not saying ADHD doesn't exist.
I am saying though that every time a kid ignores and blocks out boring things that don't suit their enjoyment, they throw methamphetamine mixed salts at the problem and label it ADHD.

It irritates me to no end.
See the thing is when something interests this kid in passing conversation, her ears perk up, she is fully focused, and comprhends every word.

School is terrible for her.
Here's why...
School is boring as can be.

With her mind in a normal state, she is focused on what she chooses to think about. On ADHD meds it is sped up and can change channels more rapidly absorbing more info of even things she has no intetest in.

She is not hyperactive.
Period.
I was hyperactive as a kid. I still am.
It's not that I have ADHD. I am wound for sond and it has always been that way.

I excelled in school.
Right up until I decided I didn't care anymore. I was recommended for every gifted program and even that I be bumped up a couple grades.
I acted up until I was booted from public school.

When I finally took a placement test for a private school at 15 I was graduate level in most subjects.

I fit the bill for ADHD.
I excelled and acted up constantly.

Now this kid is meek as can be, never in trouble, and has always done poorly in academics. Soooo... Why would she be diagnosed with ADHD?

The fact that she was placed on meds really infuriated me and it has caused a lot of arguments in my household.

I do not like modern psychology.
They throw drugs at anyone different.
The other thing I cannot stand is the way academics are forced at those that will never come close to being anything but proficient at best, as a one size fits all.

We are all different.
Now given enough time and effort nearly anyone can become proficient at anything. Yet we all have natural talents that given more effort, we can excel and become masters of.

Everyone needs to learn the basics of course, but the forced application of learning subjects that someone will work their ass off to be proficient in at best, seems like a waste of time at a certain point.

The child I am speaking of will never be good at academics.
She is an absolute artist though and sees the world very differently than most. If half as much time is applied to furthering that natural talent as having chit crammed into her brain that it rejects, she will have a gift unlike any other.

Yes I will pursue that she applies herself to her interests to actualize her potential.
...But I really don't give a damn if she understands trigonometry. It simply won't serve her the way she is wired.

This article hit it square on the head.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...d-equal/14ac7fe7-3391-4786-8dc5-af64b7722667/

We are not all equal. The differences are what makes us special. The one size fits all of psychology and education is totally ignorant of this.
Our "Disorder," is the only thing that makes us human. Yet the world tries to quell it rather than expand upon it.

svk

Saw Hoarder
I agree completely. You can't throw meds at someone who may not need them and expect change.

Of my 5 kids, I have one very high achiever. He never caused trouble at school but was hell on wheels at home for about 8 years which he has only recently grown out of. Simply because he was bored.

I have another who is very artistic and also very bright but learns slowly. He has been a challenge in some aspects because he operates differently. He is the kindest, most thoughtful soul you will ever meet.

motorhead99999

motorhead99999

Jeepin tree man
I agree that to many kids get treated for it that don’t have it. I hated every aspect of school and couldn’t wait for the school day to be over so I could go home and work on something. If a kid isn’t interested in something they aren’t going to sit there and listen to what people hav to say about it. Most kids now a days I think just need a good swift kick in the ars and a lot of there problems would go away. Just my $.02

noodlewalker

noodlewalker

ArboristSite Guru
ADD and ADHD have become very prolific. It is known to be extremely overdiagnosed.

I have a kid in my household being treated for it and I do not believe this child has it period.

If I was gonna call it something I would call it PAID, (Personal Application of Interest Disorder).

She cannot pay attention in school and does very poorly. She is off in her own world most of the time.

Doctors will say, "ADHD it's like she has no control of the remote changing channels in her mind."

Well, bullshit.
I am not saying ADHD doesn't exist.
I am saying though that every time a kid ignores and blocks out boring things that don't suit their enjoyment, they throw methamphetamine mixed salts at the problem and label it ADHD.

It irritates me to no end.
See the thing is when something interests this kid in passing conversation, her ears perk up, she is fully focused, and comprhends every word.

School is terrible for her.
Here's why...
School is boring as can be.

With her mind in a normal state, she is focused on what she chooses to think about. On ADHD meds it is sped up and can change channels more rapidly absorbing more info of even things she has no intetest in.

She is not hyperactive.
Period.
I was hyperactive as a kid. I still am.
It's not that I have ADHD. I am wound for sond and it has always been that way.

I excelled in school.
Right up until I decided I didn't care anymore. I was recommended for every gifted program and even that I be bumped up a couple grades.
I acted up until I was booted from public school.

When I finally took a placement test for a private school at 15 I was graduate level in most subjects.

I fit the bill for ADHD.
I excelled and acted up constantly.

Now this kid is meek as can be, never in trouble, and has always done poorly in academics. Soooo... Why would she be diagnosed with ADHD?

The fact that she was placed on meds really infuriated me and it has caused a lot of arguments in my household.

I do not like modern psychology.
They throw drugs at anyone different.
The other thing I cannot stand is the way academics are forced at those that will never come close to being anything but proficient at best, as a one size fits all.

We are all different.
Now given enough time and effort nearly anyone can become proficient at anything. Yet we all have natural talents that given more effort, we can excel and become masters of.

Everyone needs to learn the basics of course, but the forced application of learning subjects that someone will work their ass off to be proficient in at best, seems like a waste of time at a certain point.

The child I am speaking of will never be good at academics.
She is an absolute artist though and sees the world very differently than most. If half as much time is applied to furthering that natural talent as having chit crammed into her brain that it rejects, she will have a gift unlike any other.

Yes I will pursue that she applies herself to her interests to actualize her potential.
...But I really don't give a damn if she understands trigonometry. It simply won't serve her the way she is wired.

This article hit it square on the head.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...d-equal/14ac7fe7-3391-4786-8dc5-af64b7722667/

We are not all equal. The differences are what makes us special. The one size fits all of psychology and education is totally ignorant of this.
Our "Disorder," is the only thing that makes us human. Yet the world tries to quell it rather than expand upon it.
I agree 100% with everything you have said here. My oldest son went through that same thing, and I argued with the diagnosis and didn't allow them to cram drugs down his throat. He is a highly intelligent person and when the school tested him he scored higher than some of his teachers... We ended up moving him to one of those "alternative" schools and it seemed to change his perception of many things. "Teachers" for the most part are not educators in the public school system anymore, they are basically babysitters that are required to follow some preconceived notion of what kids are "supposed" to know and think and behave in a given situation... When someone enters their bubble and has a different point of view than them, then they don't know how to handle it and point them to some b.s. diagnosis ie ADHD. It turned out my son got past his issues once he was allowed to learn at his rate, and no longer bored by the curriculum. He now is employed by the state of Iowa as one of the lead I.T. engineers working side by side with high level government officials making a substantial salary. I thank God every day that I didn't allow that diagnosis to alter his life. I pray that you stick to your guns here and it turns out the same for her. It sounds to me like a similar situation, and the educators in her life need to figure out what it is that she as an individual needs to fulfill her as well.

Capitalist

Capitalist

Addicted to ArboristSite
She is the only kid we have that does poor in school.
Homework is so frustrating I can't describe it. After struggling for years to skim by to the next grade, I have accepted that she is simply different and yes she will have to be accepted for that and treated different to actualize her gifts.

Don't even get me started on common core education. More proof that academics gas become a one size fits all demand for mediocre people.

If your kid sucks at basketball and hates it you dont force them to play basketball. If your kid can run for days fast as a gazelle and wants track instead, you pursue that and encourage them to apply more time to that.

So you can either have a sub average basketball player or a track star....
Hmmm...but academics...

Common core method would say you need to spend less time in track and more time in basketball. Thats a surefire way to create someone mediocre in both.

:chainsaw:

Capitalist

Capitalist

Addicted to ArboristSite
I agree 100% with everything you have said here. My oldest son went through that same thing, and I argued with the diagnosis and didn't allow them to cram drugs down his throat. He is a highly intelligent person and when the school tested him he scored higher than some of his teachers... We ended up moving him to one of those "alternative" schools and it seemed to change his perception of many things. "Teachers" for the most part are not educators in the public school system anymore, they are basically babysitters that are required to follow some preconceived notion of what kids are "supposed" to know and think and behave in a given situation... When someone enters their bubble and has a different point of view than them, then they don't know how to handle it and point them to some b.s. diagnosis ie ADHD. It turned out my son got past his issues once he was allowed to learn at his rate, and no longer bored by the curriculum. He now is employed by the state of Iowa as one of the lead I.T. engineers working side by side with high level government officials making a substantial salary. I thank God every day that I didn't allow that diagnosis to alter his life. I pray that you stick to your guns here and it turns out the same for her. It sounds to me like a similar situation, and the educators in her life need to figure out what it is that she as an individual needs to fulfill her as well.
Thats a great story man!

Mike Hunterts

Mike Hunterts

"Little man"
Changing the chemistry of a developing brain is, in my opinion, one of the absolute worst things that you can do to a child. Please please please consider getting her off that poison. (If she's taking anything) They are turning kids into zombies, in my opinion.

Sadly, my opinion is that these "doctors" just want to medicate everyone.

Do a little search, you'll be shocked that antidepressants/benzos are far and away the most taken and prescribed meds today. It's a multi billion dollar industry.

Sorry about the rant, I have some experience with these types of situations and I get a little worked up.

Capitalist

Capitalist

Addicted to ArboristSite
Changing the chemistry of a developing brain is, in my opinion, one of the absolute worst things that you can do to a child. Please please please consider getting her off that poison. (If she's taking anything) They are turning kids into zombies, in my opinion.

Sadly, my opinion is that these "doctors" just want to medicate everyone.

Do a little search, you'll be shocked that antidepressants/benzos are far and away the most taken and prescribed meds today. It's a multi billion dollar industry.

Sorry about the rant, I have some experience with these types of situations and I get a little worked up.
I am working on it and I agree.
Education should have diverse options.

The other thing that infuriates me is she is more hyperactive now and has trouble sleeping. That is supposed to be a dead sure sign to cease the medication.

I have explained all this a thousand times to her ma.

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
I agree completely,

Im 32 (in January) and i was of ripe age when Ritalin was being prescribed. I did poor in elementary and middle school.

Go figure. A little boy who’s life LITERALLY consisted of riding his bike all day is not interested in school. surprise surprise.....

Ritalin was awful. The years that I was taking it I literally remember the same exact scenario of I could remember the entire morning and up to lunchtime.

then when I took Ritalin at lunch the rest of the day is absent from my memory. I have no idea what I was even doing .... probably sitting there like a zombie.

And just so you know Ritalin causes CAD as well. . I have purchased WAY to many saws in the past 8 months

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM

TheDarkLordChinChin

TheDarkLordChinChin

My name Borat, I like you
I could not agree with you guys more.
Mental health and disorders such as ADHD and OCD are in my opinion used by the healthcare systems to make a quick buck.
It has gotten to the stage nowadays that "having something wrong with you" to put it bluntly is actually romanticized. I remember being in school and literally wishing I was "fcuked in the head" so I would get special treatment and be fussed over like the special needs students. Everyone in my school had to do the curriculum, get their homework done, show up on time and behave...except anyone with any sort of condition or "abnormality".

One of my best friends was diagnosed with ADHD and anger issues. If he ever messed up or did something plain stupid he would instantly fall back on "im disabled and dont know any better" , and their were people there backing him up, trained professionals who were supposed to be helping him. This guy would sit through leaving cert (thats Irish SATs) biology lessons 3 days a week and just draw random cr4p in his copybook, stare at the wall, eat chewing gum and sleep during double classes. And I did too because I was sat beside him. The teacher would never ask either of us to answer the homework questions and we never had to take experiments seriously all because he had ADHD and was not expected to be held accountable.

He was on meds from I dont know how young until he was 17, then he was taken off the meds and nothing changed. The meds had not been doing anything. After a few months he began to realize that his "disorder" was a joke concocted by some moron in a laboratory somewhere. Towards the end of his last school year he actually began to take his studies seriously and do a lot better, at least in the subjects he cared about, not because he was cured but because he came to the realization that the only thing that could help him was his own free will and desire to learn something.

If you are sh1t at maths or spelling or whatever they just tell you that you are disabled and put you on medication straight away and thats it, you are in their vicious circlejerk of lies and profit at any cost.

I know another guy who surely would have been diagnosed with ADHD and put on drugs if his parents hadnt been smart enough to disregard the test results he got. Again he never did very well in any subject, not even the ones he liked because he was too busy trying to learn about really niche aspects of the subjects to actually do his work. He never got his homework done because he was too busy with more important things like learning how to shoot and hunt.
He left school with terrible grades and now he works as an outdoor instructor and makes good money.

When I was in college in Dublin (I dropped out after a year lol) there were people walking around with T-Shirts saying things like "Blame the a-a-a-anxiety" or suchlike. So many people I met would tell me that they were OCD or ADHD or whatever almost as soon as I met them like it was something to be proud of. People treat this kind of thing like a crutch, even when they are not even disabled in the first place. Being autistic and not being able to string half a sentence together while playing with your **** in public is a disability, not being crap at maths. But they dont care because they can use it as a way to sell you medication.

This video sums it up pretty good. The guy is a bit swishy but he makes some excellent points.

Capitalist

Capitalist

Addicted to ArboristSite
I could not agree with you guys more.
Mental health and disorders such as ADHD and OCD are in my opinion used by the healthcare systems to make a quick buck.
It has gotten to the stage nowadays that "having something wrong with you" to put it bluntly is actually romanticized. I remember being in school and literally wishing I was "fcuked in the head" so I would get special treatment and be fussed over like the special needs students. Everyone in my school had to do the curriculum, get their homework done, show up on time and behave...except anyone with any sort of condition or "abnormality".

One of my best friends was diagnosed with ADHD and anger issues. If he ever messed up or did something plain stupid he would instantly fall back on "im disabled and dont know any better" , and their were people there backing him up, trained professionals who were supposed to be helping him. This guy would sit through leaving cert (thats Irish SATs) biology lessons 3 days a week and just draw random cr4p in his copybook, stare at the wall, eat chewing gum and sleep during double classes. And I did too because I was sat beside him. The teacher would never ask either of us to answer the homework questions and we never had to take experiments seriously all because he had ADHD and was not expected to be held accountable.

He was on meds from I dont know how young until he was 17, then he was taken off the meds and nothing changed. The meds had not been doing anything. After a few months he began to realize that his "disorder" was a joke concocted by some moron in a laboratory somewhere. Towards the end of his last school year he actually began to take his studies seriously and do a lot better, at least in the subjects he cared about, not because he was cured but because he came to the realization that the only thing that could help him was his own free will and desire to learn something.

If you are sh1t at maths or spelling or whatever they just tell you that you are disabled and put you on medication straight away and thats it, you are in their vicious circlejerk of lies and profit at any cost.

I know another guy who surely would have been diagnosed with ADHD and put on drugs if his parents hadnt been smart enough to disregard the test results he got. Again he never did very well in any subject, not even the ones he liked because he was too busy trying to learn about really niche aspects of the subjects to actually do his work. He never got his homework done because he was too busy with more important things like learning how to shoot and hunt.
He left school with terrible grades and now he works as an outdoor instructor and makes good money.

When I was in college in Dublin (I dropped out after a year lol) there were people walking around with T-Shirts saying things like "Blame the a-a-a-anxiety" or suchlike. So many people I met would tell me that they were OCD or ADHD or whatever almost as soon as I met them like it was something to be proud of. People treat this kind of thing like a crutch, even when they are not even disabled in the first place. Being autistic and not being able to string half a sentence together while playing with your **** in public is a disability, not being crap at maths. But they dont care because they can use it as a way to sell you medication.

This video sums it up pretty good. The guy is a bit swishy but he makes some excellent points.
Its not only romanticized, its an excuse for sub par behaviors.

The girl I was talking about has blamed her medicine or lack of medicine 20 times for sub par performance, I.e. totally ignoring assignments.

"Its my medicine it makes me forget stuff" or "Its because I'm not on my medicine anymore."

I see through a kids manipulation immediately. That's most of society today.
Sorry it's my ADD, ADHD, depression, childhood, hormones, bi polarity...

I just named 99% of the public. Look at the statistics.

I guess I may be one of the last people without an excuse for my behaviors, though I can go get meds for all of the above tomorrow.

I put myself where I am and every step I make from this point forward is a direct result of my actions. I am a man responsible for my actions snd no one or condition is responsible for the resulting consequences.

This is how I knew I was a man.
The day I told myself that and accepted responsibility.

;) sorry getting off track.

Capitalist

Capitalist

Addicted to ArboristSite
Exactly.
"I'm _insert condition_ oh well, guess I will go drink a whole bottle of vodka and drive a car into a wall"
Lol!
I get in trouble for getting irritated at loud kids.

I will use autism as an excuse.

"Shu TF up kids! I am mildly autistic and you are upsetting me!"

If they dont listen I will start screaming for five minutes and throwing things.
Not my fault. Its my autism.

"Dad you cant even remember what you had for breakfast dont try to fool us!"

Yeah thats cuz of past childhood trauma I had. I block things out.

I can play their games and get away with murder.

TheDarkLordChinChin

TheDarkLordChinChin

My name Borat, I like you
During the mock exams in my final year of school I was sat behind an autistic kid.
There were 30 pupils to a room because the school was short on space.
Anyways this meant we were crammed in tight and this kid in front would often lean back with arms outstretched and accidentally hit me in the fcuking face.

Andyshine77

Andyshine77

Tree Freak
Some of the issues comes down to poor nutrition "over processed foods", allergies and in some cases bacterial and fungal infections. Some research even suggests that some sever mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, maybe even autism, is caused by bacteria similar to meningitis. Some of this may have transmitted from the mother to the child during birth.

With the industry 100% all about profit, treatment is the goal because that brings in money, until that changes cures will be a thing of the past.

And yes much of it is overdiagnosed, again to drug people up.

CR888

CR888

Addicted to ArboristSite
The big elephant in the room as well like capitalist mentions is that school for the most part is absolutely boring as hell. You think kids a really meant to sit down, shut up and focus on a teacher for 6-8hrs a day. They occasionally get let out to run around a playground. I think the whole approach needs re-thinking. This 200+y/o method of teaching is stupid. Creativity is taught out of kids these days. Do you know 80+% of us were most creative at age 5 than we'll he for the rest of our lives!! And how quickly you'll walk out of a doctors office with a script for amphetamines for a kid is a bloody joke. Most of the diagnosis is OPINION.

Capitalist

Capitalist

Addicted to ArboristSite
The big elephant in the room as well like capitalist mentions is that school for the most part is absolutely boring as hell. You think kids a really meant to sit down, shut up and focus on a teacher for 6-8hrs a day. They occasionally get let out to run around a playground. I think the whole approach needs re-thinking. This 200+y/o method of teaching is stupid. Creativity is taught out of kids these days. Do you know 80+% of us were most creative at age 5 than we'll he for the rest of our lives!! And how quickly you'll walk out of a doctors office with a script for amphetamines for a kid is a bloody joke. Most of the diagnosis is OPINION.
If you say "my kid is rambunctious and doesn't listen" you have amphetamines and adhd.

Thats all the screening they get from most docs

Del_

Career arborist
Where are the parents in all of this? Schools can't and never could correct the issues being presented. The teachers are being used as scapegoats. If your kids have problems then spend several hours a day with them. If you don't have the time to be the parent that they need don't take the easy way out by blaming others. If you have issues of your own you will teach them to your kids. Blame big pharma, doctors, schools, teachers, etc., just avoid looking in the mirror.