• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

Adjusting to a different type of work, at least for now

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I had the other post about how it was getting down towards crunch time for me if they would take away the extra unemployment money which they are still fighting over but like I said when this started if this nonsense is still going on in July when that happens I'll look for a part time job to pick up the slack. Well, I volunteered at the local Center for vision loss as a driver and did two "runs" last week to see how it went before they hired me, just in case I didn't like it or them me, but it went very well, the one woman had some sight left and the other was totally blind but it was no problem, and let me tell you they BOTH had better attitudes than 98% of people I know, just unbelievable, not down and depressed but happy, talkative, very easy to deal with, it made me think about how I look at things in life and am learning that this is a whole new world. They gave me some time to think about if I wanted to do this or not, they are so nice and easy to deal with, the driver scheduler called me both nights to see how it went, they understand that I am on layoff from my job of 21.5 years and that I might be going back, also that I had been called in 7 times since last March for short projects, but they are so understanding and said "we really can use you, you are great at conversation and that's what these people need especially now", so on Thursday I did my run and told them just give me a day or two but I was leaning towards saying yes, and they had a mock schedule for August for me IF I decided that I would want to do it and they are keeping me fairly busy and I get the impression that they would like to keep me very busy and there might be a slight chance this could go full time or near full time, this plague will determine that but we'll see what happens.

Anyhow, Friday I went into my "real" job, just to check out if there was any signs of hope of us getting going again, talked to a few of the people left there (not many), the computer guy was wearing a mask and I asked him why since no one there did when I was working the last few months and he said one of the volunteer firemen he works with tested positive for Covid to which I said "shouldn't you be self quarantining?"and his reply was that he saw him last 1 week ago, he is wearing a mask and social distancing so I just said "whatever", then told me that he is now on layoff too and was just in there doing a few things, and that they are looking at the end of the year to reopen, that our part of the business can "remain dormant" guessing the owner can afford to pay rent until then :surprised3: :( So I immediately, quietly in my head said "there's your answer", stayed for a short time talking to a few people I know and went right over and told them at the center for vision loss "put me on the payroll, I'll take the paid part time job" and the woman threw her arms up in the air and yelled "yeah!!!!" lol! I filled out the paperwork yesterday, have a run tomorrow, Tuesday and Thursday and then every day for the next two weeks, so this is what I will be doing now for awhile unless some miracle happens at my job but who knows if they'll even stay open? But at least I have this and can collect from unemployment, something told me to do something if this time of year came around and I wasn't back yet so I did, that's more than any of the others are doing that I know.

But it is a very much different type of work, and I am adjusting to it mentally and physically; I packed and shipped and received orders for almost 22 years which was physical, and I felt like I did my job when I was tired from being busy. Now, this is sitting and looking on Google to plot out the routes that I take to get to these people and get them where they need to go and back, and make sure that I get back safely, so the stress is more mental. I am a very careful driver, they have a really nice Dodge Caravan which is really a cool vehicle and nice to drive, they like me and said I was doing a great job after only two runs so it was an easy choice to make after I heard that news at my work, my head felt like a wash machine with things rolling around inside it but I realized it's either do this or sit around at home and collect, but it doesn't seem like I'll be called back even for a short project, I was supposed to go in Wednesday and Thursday the week before last and they emailed me and said "we won't be needing you this week, take care", and when I talked to a woman who worked with me for 20 years there who was working 1-2 days a week for the last 5 weeks said they came up to her that same day they emailed me and told her they don't need her right now either, but they hired a woman in the merchandising department which makes little sense but I guess the money is going to her now so we are out....and I also think it would've been nice if they would've contacted us and at least let us know what they were doing, I'm sure they aren't proud of the fact that they can't employ us but it's not their fault, being kept in the loop would've been nice but oh well....but I'm going to talk to my boss and let him know that I took a part time job because they'll see that come through on the unemployment claims, tell him I'm not quitting, if they need me just call, but I'm not sitting on my ass waiting and hoping on them, so for now I will just focus on this new type of work and I am very thankful that I saw that old fashioned want ad awhile ago in our little local paper and called them!!!

capetrees

capetrees

Tree Freak
There's plenty of work out there and probably exactly what you used to do. Fact is, a lot of people are refusing to return to work because they're making more by staying home and collecting even though businesses are opening again, big mistake on the feds part. Look for a job now before the layabouts realize the 400 isn't going to keep them fat and happy and return to work. Take their job before they return. F them.

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
There's plenty of work out there and probably exactly what you used to do. Fact is, a lot of people are refusing to return to work because they're making more by staying home and collecting even though businesses are opening again, big mistake on the feds part. Look for a job now before the layabouts realize the 400 isn't going to keep them fat and happy and return to work. Take their job before they return. F them.
I don't understand how anyone can refuse to return to work, I thought once your employer said you can come back you had to and if you didn't they let you go AND cut off your unemployment? I don't get that part, how is it up to the employee to make a decision, to me it's either "come back or you're fired", no?

But honestly, I kind of like this change of pace, been doing the physical stuff for many years now and there is plenty of physical things to do at home like of course firewood, so I like this change of "scenery". And I most likely will be called back to my job albeit months from now, but who knows, I might be full time at this new one and say "thanks but no thanks", time will tell.....

Please explain the first part to me if you can, I am perplexed by that!!

capetrees

capetrees

Tree Freak
I don't understand how anyone can refuse to return to work, I thought once your employer said you can come back you had to and if you didn't they let you go AND cut off your unemployment? I don't get that part, how is it up to the employee to make a decision, to me it's either "come back or you're fired", no?

But honestly, I kind of like this change of pace, been doing the physical stuff for many years now and there is plenty of physical things to do at home like of course firewood, so I like this change of "scenery". And I most likely will be called back to my job albeit months from now, but who knows, I might be full time at this new one and say "thanks but no thanks", time will tell.....

Please explain the first part to me if you can, I am perplexed by that!!
How does an employer MAKE a person come back when the employee can claim fear of corona or claim that they have been exposed again and again and have to stay home and quarantine? The $600 was an epic failure by the feds and sadly, the dems wanted it to continue. Small department store near me closes early on Sundays because they can't ghet employees to come back to work. Once the gravy train runs out, they aren't taking them back if someone else comes in for their jobs.

Keep in mind, some people have seasonal jobs like cooks, waitresses, and hotel workers in vacation areas. they normally go on unemployment during the winter or take on another part time job. If they didn't work this summer, what will they base their unemployment check on this winter??? They didn't work.
Lots of kids aren't going back to school this fall, all online. They are scooping up the jobs that seasonal workers would normally be employed at now and in the winter. Kid I know is working at a seasonal store and a grocery store this summer. She will continue this winter at the grocery store once the seasonal store closes. She's making big bucks working both, not only because she's working more but she's making a higher wage because employers need people. And she's doing her college work online.

The normally season workers who normally will be on unemployment this winter are SOL. All by their own lazy doing.

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
How does an employer MAKE a person come back when the employee can claim fear of corona or claim that they have been exposed again and again and have to stay home and quarantine? The $600 was an epic failure by the feds and sadly, the dems wanted it to continue. Small department store near me closes early on Sundays because they can't ghet employees to come back to work. Once the gravy train runs out, they aren't taking them back if someone else comes in for their jobs.

Keep in mind, some people have seasonal jobs like cooks, waitresses, and hotel workers in vacation areas. they normally go on unemployment during the winter or take on another part time job. If they didn't work this summer, what will they base their unemployment check on this winter??? They didn't work.
Lots of kids aren't going back to school this fall, all online. They are scooping up the jobs that seasonal workers would normally be employed at now and in the winter. Kid I know is working at a seasonal store and a grocery store this summer. She will continue this winter at the grocery store once the seasonal store closes. She's making big bucks working both, not only because she's working more but she's making a higher wage because employers need people. And she's doing her college work online.

The normally season workers who normally will be on unemployment this winter are SOL. All by their own lazy doing.
Thanks for the explanation, I guess they can say that, that they are afraid of being exposed to the virus. So weird all this stuff.....

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I stopped in to work today after I had my client run and talked to my boss, told him that I am working part time, that I'm not quitting, but I need some money and something to do and he told me "that's good, do whatever you have to do" and he understood and appreciated that I went in to tell him not via email or phone. We then talked about how things were going there and it isn't good, he himself even scaled back his hours and verified that we might not reopen until the end of the year or until they get a vaccine or if by some miracle things pick up, so I am so thankful that I saw this little old fashioned want ad in the local paper and did this, at least I have something to do and if we do go under I won't be without at least something.

Strange days indeed.....

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
In ‘83 I closed the machine tool building company. I was laid off. I got a job at another machine tool building company. The first tool company called me to comeback, I refused. I was three months from a pension at the First tool company. All I could think was I had three kids to feed. Two weeks later the second tool company laid me off. Stupid me I should of worked two jobs. One was days the other was nights. I was cutting firewood too.

kyle1!

kyle1!

ArboristSite Guru
With the craziness out there that is why I still keep working the 3 jobs that I have. One could shut down or at least slow down cutting hours but I would have the other 2 to rely on. Keep control of your destiny by having options...HuskyBill shows you the proof.

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Never let being laid off get you down, my chainsaws were always sharp ready to go. You are in control of your destiny. Never give up or let it get you down, don’t show the pressures of life to your kids. Interview the prospects of a new job the sametime there interviewing you to see if you want to work there. I just didn’t take any job to have a job. Once I got past the rut I was in ‘83 i was on a roll. By the end of ‘86 I was out of work over a year. Those huskys were smoking with the wood chips flying. By then I was buying, fixing and selling anything mechanical I could get my hands on too. Tractors was a good hustle too.
My point is don’t sit and wait for things to happen. Go out and make it happen. You can do this. Just don’t give up.

I purchased my husky saws in 1980. I had a pickup truck. I was getting free firewood from all directions. Duh watcha going to do? Sell off the excess. The following year I had comeback customers. The rest is history. Selling files, chains, bars plus sharpening chains and squaring bars at the flea market is another was to bring in ext cash.

I also hunted estate sales for the flea market.

Here’s a saying I always here, this is all I’m ever going to have, this is all I’m ever going to be, I say bs, get to work.

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've been doing really well with this driving job, and it does give me a sense of accomplishment helping out people who can't drive anymore but need to get places so for now things are fine, I am driving as much as they give me and also collecting from my "real" job. I stopped in there today to get something and talked to 3 different people and I commented to them how well this job was going and said "so God forbid if we close at least I have my foot in the door and something to build on" and all three of them very seriously and calmly said "we won't close" but how do they know for sure? So I said "well maybe but we seem to be stuck in neutral, not any better but not any worse". One of them was the boss and he said he'd probably call me in September for a project and I told him that's fine and that I'd have to work it around this driving job, and they told me that we are going to be busy in September so this could get interesting!

It's going to go one of a few ways:

My real job calls me back full time so I quit the driving job.
They call me back part time until we get rolling 100% so I work both jobs part time.
They don't call me back so I do the driving and collecting thing as long as I can.
The driving job offers me full time and I quit my real job.
I find another part time job to do while doing the driving job and quit my real job.
Or, I see another full time job and quit them both lol!!

Time will tell where this goes.....but for now and the next few months I will be fine I am sure.

BC WetCoast

BC WetCoast

Addicted to ArboristSite
₩Why not? Im older than you, just studied and got my folding crane (hiab) certification. I would love to find somewhere around here that teaches welding for hobbyists. I should probably learn a new computer language, maybe python.

Hang around with younger people youll think and act younger. Hang around with old farts....

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Talked to the owner of the company today, he said he is planning on getting going again and even opening new stores, is flying to Seattle tomorrow and then Denver and said he is looking to open up around November 1st and "we're looking to get you back full time mid November" but of course many things can affect that so we'll see.

I was relieved to hear that but then also sad, I wish that I could piece something together to go with this driving job so I could still do it but it is too erratic, some weeks very busy and others not so much, but I am keeping my eyes and mind open to opportunities.

But it was nice to finally get some information from THE head guy!

Reactions: svk
PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I sat in on a demonstration today by a guy who sells equipment to help people with low vision see things a bit better, one was a closed circuit computer that actually could read books to them but it costs $3,995.00 and another hand held magnifier that sells for $595.00 and a few others. I can't tell you the feeling that I had as I sat there and looked around the room at these people who have very poor vision, my heart sank and I wished that I could help them restore their vision, but yet they deal with it with a grace and spirit that just amazes me, and it makes my problems seem insignificant compared to what they must deal with, but they don't let it stop them or get them down, truly amazing what they bring......