Advancing ignition timing on a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn't about what can cause saw failures, it's about the benefits of advancing ignition timing. Bottom line, it's beneficial on many if not most saws.
Did someone mention saw failure ?

Just what we need. Another insecure saw builder with a delicate ego.
Are you referring to Hotsaws101 or myself ... He is the big Kahuna of this operation ... I’m just the East Coast franchisee !

I really don't care who you are. It's obvious your just here to stir up crap. Get a life.
In other news .... Canada running low on legal marijuana - sending some back to black market

Just what we need. Another insecure saw builder with a delicate ego.
Yah , no insecurities nor delicate ego here buster ! Did your friend Andyshine77 ever make up with Hotsaws101? Seems like ol Jack had to ask him to leave his channel ... ya know ... must be something in the water with you Ohio boys

This is actually a good question, I deleted the base gasket on a 10mm 044 since the replacement piston squish was too high, so now that I am at around 0.018, without changing the timing, the spark will occur closer to top dead center, so I should probably advance a bit? I have blindly done about 1/3 of the key in the past with decent results. The best gains I ever had was actually with a 455 rancher, turned it into a rather studly saw.

I have yet to see someone advance ignition timing, then show before and after pics of pre detonation damage on a piston.
I've over advanced saws and never witnessed anything like that.

I guess if you tell people it's dangerous to advance the ignition then fewer will build stronger saws.

I have yet to see someone advance ignition timing, then show before and after pics of pre detonation damage on a piston.
I've over advanced saws and never witnessed anything like that.

I guess if you tell people it's dangerous to advance the ignition then fewer will build stronger saws.
3CCA41AD-C10B-4D29-83E7-167E6A736B5A.jpeg

Yah , advancing the timing is not the “be all end all” that some claim ... yes some saws benefit from a small advance (261cm) while others don’t seem to like it (372xp) ... while others still like the timing slightly retarded ... it’s just one more piece of the puzzle after “flow-enhancements” have been performed ... by advancing it 5degrees (say .020 off keyway) it’s not going to make a turd into a bullet ... it’s like anything else you don’t listen to what the “so-called” experts say ; you think about it and then do it yourself ... then YOU have the knowledge eh ? you can try advancing (by grinding or filing the key) until you start losing performance ; purchase a few spare keys so you can always go back to stock ... it’s not a “one - size fits all “..... Experiment ! And then YOU will have the knowledge!

Back