Advancing ignition timing on a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yah , advancing the timing is not the “be all end all” that some claim ... yes some saws benefit from a small advance (261cm) while others don’t seem to like it (372xp) ... while others still like the timing slightly retarded ... it’s just one more piece of the puzzle after “flow-enhancements” have been performed ... by advancing it 5degrees (say .020 off keyway) it’s not going to make a turd into a bullet ... it’s like anything else you don’t listen to what the “so-called” experts say ; you think about it and then do it yourself ... then YOU have the knowledge eh ? you can try advancing (by grinding or filing the key) until you start losing performance ; purchase a few spare keys so you can always go back to stock ... it’s not a “one - size fits all “..... Experiment ! And then YOU will have the knowledge!
No one is going to take the bait and teach you how to do it.

No one is going to take the bait and teach you how to do it.
Huh ? Remove pull-start cover ... impact gun ; remove flywheel; grind or file key desired amount ; reinstall key and flywheel ...reinstall pull-start cover ... make cuts ... rinse and repeat until satisfied ... so simple even a monkey can do it !!!

Huh ? Remove pull-start cover ... impact gun ; remove flywheel; grind or file key desired amount ; reinstall key and flywheel ...reinstall pull-start cover ... make cuts ... rinse and repeat until satisfied ... so simple even a monkey can do it !!!
And this is the part where I'm supposed to fill in all those ... blanks you just typed? Lol

And this is the part where I'm supposed to fill in all those ... blanks you just typed? Lol
I’m not asking you to fill in any “blanks” - in fact I haven’t asked you for assistance at all ??? ... Are you the guy on YouTube cutting by the garage ? If so keep on trucking

Some real "rod-benders" in this bunch!!!!
You cannot tell someone anything who knows everything already ! Seems like a regional thing especially guys from the state of Ohio ... must be something in the water ! We had a few transfers up from the Cincinnati area ... big-mouth arrogant know it alls ya know the type ... well one skinny punk was talkin thru his beer at the local watering hole to the wrong guy ... kept gettin in his face with the finger - pointing routine ... well the dude finally had enuff and ending up knocking the punk out cold ... fractured jaw ... next time I seen the punk he had seen the light and had a newfound respect for his fellow man ... amazing the attitude adjustment one has when one is sucking his meals thru a straw for 6 weeks ! Lol

Nah.......
Lake Perch and Walleye!!!
Yeppers ... gotta have a boat though ! Sold my islander a few years back ... got the itch for another one ... the fishing on my end of Erie was phenomenal this summer ... 6lb smallmouth; buckets full of perch and walleyes (once you pattterned them) galore !!!

I went fishing on the shore/harbor once while staying with my grandfather on Lake Eirie. Kept bringing in these huge mutant catfish.. My grand-dad kept insisting that I let them go!!!
Of course we were in sight of the nuclear reactors.....
No wonder I can pee in the dark now........

I went fishing on the shore/harbor once while staying with my grandfather on Lake Eirie. Kept bringing in these huge mutant catfish.. My grand-dad kept insisting that I let them go!!!
Of course we were in sight of the nuclear reactors.....
No wonder I can pee in the dark now........
Lol ... actually northern pike make for excellent table-fare ... get the y-bones out and you are good to go ... some even like em better than perch or Walleye ... trick is to “sweeten” the filets overnight in a mixture ... all the junk floats to the top and the fillet are tasty when pan-fried !!!!

Lol ... actually northern pike make for excellent table-fare ... get the y-bones out and you are good to go ... some even like em better than perch or Walleye ... trick is to “sweeten” the filets overnight in a mixture ... all the junk floats to the top and the fillet are tasty when pan-fried !!!!
Yeah, I have tried all of them.
Perch and walleye are the lobster of the bunch.

Yah , advancing the timing is not the “be all end all” that some claim ... yes some saws benefit from a small advance (261cm) while others don’t seem to like it (372xp) ... while others still like the timing slightly retarded ... it’s just one more piece of the puzzle after “flow-enhancements” have been performed ... by advancing it 5degrees (say .020 off keyway) it’s not going to make a turd into a bullet ... it’s like anything else you don’t listen to what the “so-called” experts say ; you think about it and then do it yourself ... then YOU have the knowledge eh ? you can try advancing (by grinding or filing the key) until you start losing performance ; purchase a few spare keys so you can always go back to stock ... it’s not a “one - size fits all “..... Experiment ! And then YOU will have the knowledge!
Hi I'm new here, what a wonderful place with such knowledgeable folks. Now I wanted to play with timing & wanted to know where Frank purchases the 'SPARE KEYS WTF' can you get me a part number for the spare forkin keys pls? You have done this before haven't you? Which bit do you retard, do you start retarded, or finish retarded or just be a little tarded while your offering advice on the spare key.

Back