Advancing your TIP (friction saver)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreEmergencyB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have been trying to use my ring to ring FS on every climb prune or take down for obvious reasons. My problem is moving it, now i think im pretty good with my throw ball but how often can we really hit our final TIP from the ground. Besides moving it by hand is there a better way? Prolly a pain to carry throwline with you, do any of you do that? I know i feel like a dinosaur using a ring to ring non adjustable FS are any of the other systems easier to advance?

traverse from tree to tree, branch to branch

I have been trying to use my ring to ring FS on every climb prune or take down for obvious reasons. My problem is moving it, now i think im pretty good with my throw ball but how often can we really hit our final TIP from the ground. Besides moving it by hand is there a better way? Prolly a pain to carry throwline with you, do any of you do that? I know i feel like a dinosaur using a ring to ring non adjustable FS are any of the other systems easier to advance?

You may find the link to the thread below helpful. Be sure to check out the video Moss posted. Using a similar technique I climbed 65 feet into a pine, secured a double line with leather cambium saver to the pine tree 25' away, traversed over to that tree and descended. I use the same concept for limb to limb when a limb walk is not reasonable or even getting up a steep limb that is difficult for me to just grasp and ascend.
I have attached a photo of the line I set and tried to brighten and accent the leather cambium saver. I was doing it in the dark so the photo is not great.
The application of this is varied and only you can decide if justified. Is it faster to take the tail of my rope and move over to the adjacent tree or limb or is it faster to go down, walk over and set a new line and ascend. All questions you must ask and answer. I do find the leather cambium saver much more convenient for this, it fits over the end splice on my rope, unlike the caterpillar type and much less work and confusion then the ringed false crotch type I think you are referring to.
Check out the Wesspur and Sherrill Tree catalogs for poles, hooks and other devices for setting your line. Throw bags, monkey fists and tossing a coiled rope and others are techniques commonly used.

traverse from tree to tree

attachment.php

View attachment 256130

I put throw line on a old fly reel. That way you can carry it on your harness and use it up in the tree if needed, then you just rewind it back up. I can get 60' of dynaglide line on it.

I put throw line on a old fly reel. That way you can carry it on your harness and use it up in the tree if needed, then you just rewind it back up. I can get 60' of dynaglide line on it.

I like that idea. So rather than a throw bag you just use the old fly reel. Don't let it hit you in the head when it comes down. Just kidding!
I tried one of those Line Tamers from Sherrill, they are modified fishing line winders. So far, a two thumbs down.

I like that idea. So rather than a throw bag you just use the old fly reel. Don't let it hit you in the head when it comes down. Just kidding!
I tried one of those Line Tamers from Sherrill, they are modified fishing line winders. So far, a two thumbs down.

Oops, thought this was 101.................going to 101.................

...how often can we really hit our final TIP from the ground...

How patient are you? It may take 20 minutes to get everything set some times, but I make up that time by having a good TIP for the whole job.

If I can't get it isloated easily to get the friction saver, I'll just tie off the other end of the rope and SRT up to the TIP.

Oh...and as far as friction saver: i have looked at some of the adjustable friction saving devices, and I am not sure I have reason to leave the 2 rings...until I find a huge limb, but then that is just a longer friction saver.

...I tried one of those Line Tamers from Sherrill, they are modified fishing line winders. So far, a two thumbs down.
I cut a slit in the top so I can be inserted midline. I have been happy with it. I use zing-it and dynaglide throwlines - that may make a difference.

Jameson poles, short slick line, Caterpillar friction saver. Those things are great, the Caterpillar, they are so easy to get out and back in. Depending on the app, I will use the poles with the hook to reset my TIP, or use a old slick line that cut/snapped in half. I will have another lanyard sent up, so I can stay doubled in, then use one of the two, or both together to set the line, then the friction saver and I just pull it into place with a slipknot on the back side, once I have it in place just pull down on both sides, poppin the slipknot out.

I'm tellin ya, those things are way better than the rings, in many different ways, but the best is the glide, my rope slides thru that thing with ease. Ya don't have a tight bend ratio, so its way less friction. Better for you, the tree and the rope.

I cut a slit in the top so I can be inserted midline. I have been happy with it. I use zing-it and dynaglide throwlines - that may make a difference.
That is an excellent suggestion!
Sherrill Tree is suppose to be sending me a new one, I have used it on (well tried anyway) both the zing-it and dynaglide lines but the motor is much too weak and regardless of what I do, it will not feed, I almost have to pull the line thru making it totally useless. Tried changing batteries and everything, just got a lame motor I guess. Good to know there may be some hope, I like the idea.

Use of a cheap throw line

I use some very light cord, 1.4 and the Line Tamer would work with that, not real well but ok. I just think I got a really weak motor.

That brings up another thought I will share.

I have a throw line that I keep in a tree and in several others actually. For example to access my "Zen" lounge chair I secure my climbing line in three separate crotches and anchor to a nearby tree. It was a considerable amount of work to get this line exactly where I want it and I don't want to leave an expensive throw line in the tree, even one of the black stealthy ones as it could be stolen plus I would have to do all that work again getting it set.
So I purchased 3,000' feet of 1.4mm line that works well and I leave it out there. Sometimes I will even pull my climb line up with it as it has a 75# breaking strength, but most of the time, I use it to pull my regular throw line up and then the climbing line.
This maybe handy if a guy is working a tree and can't finish that day and needs to come back tomorrow. Don't want to leave my regular brightly colored line in the tree or my climbing line, good chance the kids will get it, hurt themselves climbing it or even have a squirrel take it home. (those clever little bastards!)
3000 feet of this stuff only cost me about $12.00, so if it does get stolen, broken or eaten by the squirrel, it is only a few cents.

Pictures below to save thousands of words.

attachment.php

My "throw away" line is attached to a dead branch making it easy to get to, but if someone is not paying attention, they don't even see it. you have to look closely to see the line above the dead branch.

attachment.php

I'm not about to leave climbing lines in the tree, and it took me a bit of work to get a triple crotch set for this so I can get to my chair.

attachment.php

Sitting in one of these would be a TOTAL bore!

attachment.php

Ever since my trained falcon flew away I have been setting my TIP from the ground by throw or bigshot. I keep about thirty feet of throwline and a small throwball in a pouch on my saddle to advance my TIP up in the tree or I will use my polesaw. I have also set my line from the bucket to get up higher on some stuff. I like the good old two ring friction saver. Simple

Instead of posting 3 one sentence posts put them all in one post. You can edit a post and add something if you forgot it.

May I also suggest the "delete" function of that button also.

While I'm trying to consolidate my posts..........are one of you an administrator reading this or does anyone happen to know what the time parameters are on that edit button? How long does it stay available? It seems to disappear in about a day or less. I know it is a function that is set by the moderator or administrator.

Hello. I'm a recreational climber. I came across this technique for placing a multiSLING. I imagine it's the same...or can be modified for a Friction Saver. It's in French, but you can clearly see the technique. It works like a charm. I'm curious why I haven't seen that approach posted elsewhere. I then remove it with a retrieval ball, as it passes through the Revolver Carabiner, and catches on the small ring. Below are some good links...

Placing the multiSLING

Removing the multiSLING

Working with a multiSLING

Back