Advertising? What do you do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Maas said:
If you're slow, take a day or two off during the week, and then go out and do some tree work on a Sat. or Sun.
There's something about the sound of a chipper and/or chainsaws that attracts neighbors and passer bys.
We seem to have a general agreement on that.This is a personal way of marketing and advertising
Xander said:
I don't knock on doors, cold call or bulk mail. Most of the clients that respond to these are price minded. I want service/quality minded clients. You need to define your target clientele and then figure out how to appeal to them.
Perfect. Summed to a fine point. This is another personal approach, in contrast to more traditional and thought-of 'shotgun' methods to advertising. Remember this key nugget of wisdom: Impersonal ads cost money and produce marginally. Personal approaches generally cost nothing and produce magnificently. Personal marketing approaches are many, they're custom-tailored to the setting and conditions and truly become more a way of being, as well as a way of doing.
Max said:
Mailers. Sent 1,000, spent $1,400. Calls: 0.
Shotgun approach.

Max said:
What worked:
Servicemagic.com. Spent $300 so far, sold over $2500.
I would see this as the cutting-edge for advertising a tree service. Still a shotgun approach.
jazak said:
ad in yellow pages, fliers, signs, lettered up trucks, ext.
Shotgun, shotgun, shotgun, shotgun, verging on personal.
John464
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFD34
They look just like those metal real estate signs that you see in peoples front yards. Mine were $140.00 each to have made up but the return has more than paid the cost of the 4 signs that we have.

You should look into corrugated plastic signs with step stakes. I pay $4 per sign and that way I dont have to go pick it up. I just tell the customer to leave it there a week or more and they can dispose of it. If i paid $140 per sign Id have to take a full day to gather signs we leave each week. less the headaches of keeping track where they are all at!
This is one of the most sensible approaches. You couldn't have said that better. Still shotgun.

ROLLA If you rely on word of mouth you will starve period!!
Rolla??? You're a success and a legend where you live, but that's because you do your gig a certain way, and it works! Pretty much everyone here agrees word of mouth is numero uno in generating a magical, drop-in, call outta nowhere call from a client you don't know, but who says. These calls are like ....life blood. They have a very, very, Very high sell rate and are themselves self-propagating. You can have these as an innate part of your marketing forefront. If you're fully dialled-in, word-of-mouth, and business cards ARE your marketing campaign. You spend Zero on advertising. Your clients do your marketing for you. The more NEW clients you add, the more word-of-mouth referrals you get out of that. Your base clients grows, and they never forget you.

Getting to that place, I think, is the jist of the question for most any startup Tree Service. Ryan's difference is that he just HAD what I described above, and has left it to start fresh, Where again, Ryan? And how far away are you from your old stomping grounds? What are you gonna do with you stomping ground calls? They don't stop just because you've stepped away. You've left behind a machine in motion, a self-generating, self-perpetuating referral machine that needs managing in your abscence. Is your client base in some written form somehow, computer or on paper? Is your stoming ground phone number available? You left behind a gold mine. You're gone, but it's still there. The potential problem is the time-suck of AGAIN, politely declining someone who cares and wants you to care for their trees.

or

the potential solution of you selling it to someone who wants a jump-start and wants to live near where you did, which from what I understand is areally nice area for a lot of things, especially suited for hardwood, deciduous trees. Long growing season.

Advertise that at the forestry urban forestry schools in your region. I'll bet there's a Dad out there who'd invest in his son's assured and secure future. An ad in TCIA. Or offer your database and customer base to a local tree service. What you worked to build has value. But it can be a liability, like I say, because the phone will keep ringing.

Again, on the positive side, Ryan brings with, his full experience of having done it one already. And Arboristsite. Plus you've already got jobs in progress and jobs on the book. You're rollin, and you're fine because you understand the very bare minimum basics it takes to succeed; Treat people right, and do your job in excellence.

Word-of mouth is based on just that simple formula. When you understand that it takes fuel to run any machine, treating people right, and doing your job in excellence is the fuel for your referral machine. Part of it has to do with the trees, but mostly it's a human-to-human thing. Your impression, as well as what you left behind.

Getting your first jobs is the absolute hardest part. The rest is just about being out there and then implementing some effective strategies, each of which should be optional and a choice based on 'flexible' choice, not because you have to, but because you see an easy and free opportunity to create more business. Come from a place of abundance; You only need to support you and your family and get off to a strong start. If you approach your journey from a standpoint of scarcity it will not be as much fun. You'll feel like you're moving forward, but you might starve. Ryan Willcock is not gonna starve.

Last edited:
Tree Machine, I'm back in my old stomping ground. I have been gone for four years but am now back. I've got work slowly starting to roll in now. Gave a $1250 quote for a nast TD, just put it on the ground no clean up. I have a 50-50 chance on it. Best way to take it down would be a bucket truck or a lift but no access for either. I have room to flop one half but the other must be climbed. Forgot to mention that its a 26'' DBH soft maple with a CD about 10' up and each side is about 18''. The right side has split out and is hung up in a large whiteoak AND a red oak. You'd have to climb the RO first clear it then put a line in the white oak clear it THEN finish blocking of the rest of it.... THEN the other half can be felled.

Referals and good work ethics keep our business busy. Currently, I have 17 different tree jobs lined up- but can't get started on them due to my deployment. My wife has just been taking the calls and making a list. Of course, I should shudder due to the fact I have yet to see the trees. Cards in local businesses( Western Auto, etc.) and bulletin boards have netted good results also. I have the pattern for our logo for the side of our truck- bluetick hound treeing- all set up for the truck when I return.:cool:

Hook up w/ a local landscaper or nrusery that only sells new trees and landscaping. I get some calls that come from there as people come in to buy new stuff and ask if they know anyone to call.

Also, you havent been gone that long so you should still have friends around. Give them some cards and ask to hand them out for you.

I also advertise in the local paper in a service directory. get calls there.

Sure word of mouth works, but it takes a long time to rely soly on that.

Good Luck!

Coming up in two months time from now is a really good public profile opportunity (at least is is here) and now is the time to get involved.

Lion's Clubs, Rotary's, etc., hook up with shopping malls and shopping centres to dispose of Christmas trees for a donation to the public service club. You donate your services to the service club, they get every penny of donation, you get local market visability, free advertising in front of a large audience and brownie points for community service.

It's a win for the consumer, it's a win for the charity, it's a win for the shopping centre, and it's a win for you.

Plus kids in the 8 to 11 range just dig seeing their Chistmas tree go through the chipper!

Time to set it up is right about now.

RedlineIt

Last edited:
Menchhofer said:
Unfortunately yellow pages works for us even though it is a bit expensive. Referrals are also a good source but they are not constant. Yes, we get the shoppers, but in the end it usually works. Our current advertsing costs run about $15,000 per year.

Same as Mench,word of mouth is good but you can't rely on it,unless your a very very small outfit...

I've tried just about every form of advertising imaginable,when it boils down to the nitty gritty ,'its not what you know its who you know'

RedlineIt said:
Lion's Clubs, Rotary's, etc., hook up with shopping malls and shopping centres to dispose of Christmas trees for a donation to the public service club.

Now there's a twist I've not seen. I've thought about fliers to get on a property to leave an est'y. "Recycle your Christmas tree for $10". Then leave a quote for some tree work with the bill/invoice. "

Remove all lights and orniments please"

In my experiance, local fliers, weather on a door or in the mailbox will yeild the best results per dollar spent.

If you do it tastefully and state that you were working in their nieghborhood it seems to work better.

If you have a website, ensure that it's on the flier. Email along with phone.

I have a few friends/clients who do it in neighborhoods they want to build buisness in. High-end developments with established canopy, or smaller trees that are have been in the ground for a decade and may need some work.

I do YP ad, cards, fliers, signs, pens, matchbooks, and calenders.

The absolute best is ........

Well,.... it works so good I'm reluctant to share.

Business cards with calenders on the back side.

They pass themselves out, dont get thrown away, are usually kept in a place that is memorable and easy to find [wallet, purse].

What i do is order 10 to 20 thousand per year, nice glossy color print. They come in boxes of 250, so I turn all the cards face down, calenders up. Take them to all the local stores , they each get one box near the register. People snatch those little calenders up so fast. Later they look at the other side and say "hey i need tree work done"

I've given my card to many people, only to hear "I've got that card in my wallet right now"

It is a shotgun method, and you will get some price shoppers. But hell the cards are only like .02 cents each. This time of year is the time to do it too. Christmas shoppers will take all the cards before new-years!

Of all my paid advertising, 65% calls are from these cheap card/calenders.

woodchux said:
Business cards with calenders on the back side.

They pass themselves out, dont get thrown away, are usually kept in a place that is memorable and easy to find [wallet, purse].

What i do is order 10 to 20 thousand per year, nice glossy color print. They come in boxes of 250, so I turn all the cards face down, calenders up. Take them to all the local stores , they each get one box near the register. People snatch those little calenders up so fast. Later they look at the other side and say "hey i need tree work done"

I've given my card to many people, only to hear "I've got that card in my wallet right now"

It is a shotgun method, and you will get some price shoppers. But hell the cards are only like .02 cents each. This time of year is the time to do it too. Christmas shoppers will take all the cards before new-years!

Of all my paid advertising, 65% calls are from these cheap card/calenders.
Wow. That is truly a new one. Very original and I can see the public appeal, the reason why your cards do not get thrown away and how they stay with the client where they know right where it is all the time.

It IS a shotgun method, but with a personal flair. You have given someone something for free. People LOVE freebies and cool things. Your card has all that. I moved over to a new chipper knife company because they gave me a pen. When you give something for free (and this is just my personal theory) people innately want to reciprocate a favor, either by calling you when they need work done or telling a friend about you. When your 'freebie' costs you next to nothing, and produces for you, your goose has laid you a golden egg.

I haven't advertised in 3 years and have more work than I can handle. That said, you guys have posted some great ideas, which I may use if I'm going to hire on another fulltimer next spring.

I've always said the best advertising is concentrating on the job at hand. Satisfied customers are the best.

i dont advertise, i have a core group of customers and the other customers come from recomendations by them. Even with just that little word of mouth advertising, i have to turn away customers. I'm upfront and honest, tell it like it is, professional and use all the PPE that ius required.

nuff said.

Tree Machine said:
Wow. That is truly a new one. Very original and I can see the public appeal, the reason why your cards do not get thrown away and how they stay with the client where they know right where it is all the time.

It IS a shotgun method, but with a personal flair. You have given someone something for free. People LOVE freebies and cool things. Your card has all that. I moved over to a new chipper knife company because they gave me a pen. When you give something for free (and this is just my personal theory) people innately want to reciprocate a favor, either by calling you when they need work done or telling a friend about you. When your 'freebie' costs you next to nothing, and produces for you, your goose has laid you a golden egg.

VERY TRUE!! i once gave a free 1/4 cord of dry wood to a customer, simply because i needed my truck to move a huge BBQ. That free load turned into a bi-monthly cash purchase of wood.

Back