Advice Needed: Chainsaw for an older woman

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems the lady has left the discussion long ago, so it’s mute anyway.
Yep. Somehow (?) we managed to scare another one away . . . .

You guys can defend the plastic Stihls all you want. They are not near the saw as several Echos or Dolmar/Makitas for less money.

We ran the snot out of MS250's doing storm clean up with volunteers. I guess that neither the saws (nor the volunteers) knew that they were not 'Pro-grade'!

Not all of the modest saws perform as well. But the MS250 class, and the Husqvarna 350, were both models that did not know that they were 'homeowner' saws.

Philbert

I was pleasantly surprised by the nice overall power of the MS250, tho the antivibe and "feel" were sorely lacking in comparison to say, my ps420. Also, the ps420 felt slightly more powerful when buried.

anyhow, i am one of the few replying here who have run more than one of the recommended saws...

imo, there is no reason whatsoever to buy an ms250 for more money than a better quality saw of another brand. That being said I would not hesitate to buy an ms250 if I got it cheap enough.

I think battery powered chainsaws have their place, but cutting 8 cords of 10-12" trees annually into firewood isn't working to their strength.
Cutting like this puts a long and high current load on the battery which shortens it lifespan, and a replacement AP300 battery for the MSA 200 saw has a MSRP of just under $200.
If the lithium chemistry battery failure mode is anything like those I've experienced over the years with hand tools, it works until it doesn't. Then you plug it into the charger it gives you the battery failure prompt and it becomes a brick.

Battery powered saws can get the job done period. A few years ago I never believed I could say this. I helped a guy that owns a ranch that I have been working on the past couple of years. A couple of older guys volunteered to help out with tree trimming. They kept their 16'' saw going almost non stop for two days. Battery saws will some day be the normal. Cutting eight to ten cords a year with an electric saw no problem. I however am not going to get rid of my gas saw in my life time though. Thanks

You guys can defend the plastic Stihls all you want. They are not near the saw as several Echos or Dolmar/Makitas for less money.

After i posted i looked on ebay for 1 of the dolmar makitas and that was all i found, new for $400+.
Again i expect they are very nice saws but so is the ms250 for what it is. I would be surprised if the dolmar was as capable when it comes to applying it to the purpose. Ms 250 has a good power to weight, peppy, record for reliability and longevity, availability as a saw, parts and dealer service and price + EZ start.
THE new echoes are built nicely to last, easier to pull start vs a non easy start, less vibes but the ms250 vibes don't bother my old carcass and for me fit my frame and style which makes for easier work without getting a sore back which is usually the purpose for using a tool.
If the lady has axis to good Makita Dolmar dealer,and can find 1 cheaper then the ms250 , can comfortably start and use 1 might be her best choice but i doubt it if it all adds up to that in the long run.

^ :yes: ^
I've used an MS 250, have neighbours with MS250's and have cut wood with MS250 owners plenty of times ... they are a popular consumer grade saw that runs quite well ... but I own a Makita EA4300 ... enough said! :dumb:

IMH0 i think your daughter could start my neighbors ms250 ezstart easiar.
I am not trying to knock the dolmar. Dolmar has been 1 of my favorite brands since i was introduced to sachs dolmar in the 1980's. I don't even know of any makita dolmar dealers anywhere at this time, was 1 25miles from here but last time i was there i think he was down to 2 saws and quitting them. Couple others didn't last long.
Sounds like it runs good but so did every well tuned 025 or ms250 i run. So where do i buy 1 of these cheapish compared to the ms 250. Last i looked good looking 025's seemed to be going about $175, If they were an ms250,about 50 to $75 more in similar condition.

It's not my daughter nor is it my video that I posted, but you make a decent point about dealer availability. However, the Makita/Dolmars are pretty easy to work on and parts should be able to be ordered by any saw shop. MS250 is a decent consumer grade saw that will cut lots of wood, but I far prefer the robust build of the ea4300 mag case saw.

I used an early version 43cc o28 for 15 years or so and cut wood bigger than this lady is after. It was used when I bought it and I sold it for about the same I paid and it still ran good. There is a Makita ea4300 on eBay right now to end in a few hours, item 124021867561, setting at 135$ + 40$ shipping. It’s anew saw. Also have a Makita 520i and I bet it would keep up with an o26 without much trouble. I have o28 super and I usually grab the 520, It’s lighter and with 3/8P, I think it’s quicker in the cut. Have seen a 520i set on eBay with no buyer at 200. It looked nice. Local Stihl dealer has new o25 at 350$.

I used an early version 43cc o28 for 15 years or so and cut wood bigger than this lady is after. It was used when I bought it and I sold it for about the same I paid and it still ran good. There is a Makita ea4300 on eBay right now to end in a few hours, item 124021867561, setting at 135$ + 40$ shipping. It’s anew saw. Also have a Makita 520i and I bet it would keep up with an o26 without much trouble. I have o28 super and I usually grab the 520, It’s lighter and with 3/8P, I think it’s quicker in the cut. Have seen a 520i set on eBay with no buyer at 200. It looked nice. Local Stihl dealer has new o25 at 350$.
Shut up, i was high bidder

Shut up, i was high bidder
It went for $210 + $40 shipping, refurbished saw, on par with the price what i see them asking for nice looking used ms250,s. Couple years ago i bought at a local dealer reduction auction a brand new in the box echo cs400 with case,and i believe oil and a hat also, for $210. Then i bought a used 1 about $165 with shipping which was higher then i wanted to go but i wanted to keep the nib saw unopened until i detetmined if i wanted it in my line up. Since then snagged 1 at a yard sale for $30, with a new bar and chain, wouldn't turn the chain cause of sprocket wear. Fixed that,used it some, sold it $165 if i remember right.

Back