Advice needed for OWB pipe to house entry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Actually two questions.
I have a walk out ranch house and I am putting the OWB out the back so when I get to the house with the piping I can't come in underground very easily if at all so my thought is to come up the side of the house about 3' and then 90* into the utility room. I would then build an insulated waterproof box/chase over the pipe (it will still be insulated pipe up to the 90's.

Second question, I have a water to air heat exchanger, I will be bringing the pex in right at the rear of my hot air furnace so I can go right into the plenum with the exchanger but, I'm thinking I would rather not put it in the plenum, I am thinking about just building a box and putting a blower behind the heat exchanger and blowing the warm air into the finished basement through the utility room wall (I have room to do this and I like the idea of keeping the basement warm all winter) My wife and I prefer a cooler bedroom at night.

Just a FYI
My last set up was an outside hot air furnace that just blew into the basement and the house was very comfortable, it worked great so this is my reasoning for wanting to plumb the heat exchaner to blow into the basement instead of having it in the plenum.

Thanks

Well I decided to just bite the bullet and drill a hole in the concrete floor and dig under the footing and bring the pipe up right in the room where the furnace is. It was a battle and I thought a couple of times that I was sure to have another heart attack digging under the footings. I was on my knees in the ditch with a crobar and a short handle shovel. I had a friend stop over and give me a hand pulling it up through the floor. All in all it didn't go as bad as I thought it was going to.

Ya mine just go through the concrete about foot below grade.

I don’t think the whole heat the room, to have it pulled into the rest of the system is a great idea.

I have my rad in the plenum above the electric elements, and a second solenoid and thermostat to run just the fan so it cycles as per normal.

Keep on .... Runnin’ Load !!

What are you doing for pipe and insulation? Potential problem for at the bottom under the wall is that can also be where the ground is the wettest, foundation drains and all that.

Back