advice needed killing poplar saplings/stumps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I also use the 50/50 glyphosate solution mentioned in the article with success on sweet gum.
I used to cut it also but found that, diluted, it wouldn't keep privet down. I finally just started using the concentrate right out of the container. That worked...

I used to cut it also but found that, diluted, it wouldn't keep privet down. I finally just started using the concentrate right out of the container. That worked...
You can spray the privet but have to do it a few times. This is what my neighbor did when it got out of control along a fence row. He told me he mixed around 6 oz. per gallon. That’s about 2% solution using the 41% concentrate.

You can spray the privet but have to do it a few times. This is what my neighbor did when it got out of control along a fence row. He told me he mixed around 6 oz. per gallon. That’s about 2% solution using the 41% concentrate.
That will do it, if you keep spraying. I have three wooded acres on top Monte Sano in Huntsville. At one point, probably one acre of it was in privet. At a certain point, nothing survives but the privet. A lot of them were closer to being trees. Cutting and treating was the only practical option...

That will do it, if you keep spraying. I have three wooded acres on top Monte Sano in Huntsville. At one point, probably one acre of it was in privet. At a certain point, nothing survives but the privet. A lot of them were closer to being trees. Cutting and treating was the only practical option...
I feel your pain. When it’s big like that you need something different for cut stumps because the roundup won’t work. I’ve pulled the big ones up with the tractor. I’m going to try the roundup up thing on some patches of it this year and see how it goes. But I think anything short of a full time herd of goats probably won’t work. Monte Sano is a nice area.

I feel your pain. When it’s big like that you need something different for cut stumps because the roundup won’t work. I’ve pulled the big ones up with the tractor. I’m going to try the roundup up thing on some patches of it this year and see how it goes. But I think anything short of a full time herd of goats probably won’t work. Monte Sano is a nice area.
We live about two blocks from the park. The Roundup brush killer will work. Roundup week killer won't. If you're familiar with Monte Sano, the bunkhouse for the old dummy line crews lies just off my property. My privet problem comes from a hedge they planted back in the 19th century...

Back