Advice on drying cedar poles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jean W

Reaction score
I’m going to be clearing a bunch of smaller cedar trees roughly 6” & under in diameter, I’d like use them to make natural railing by my walk and possibly, if there’s enough, a natural pergola. I have no clue what needs to be done to dry them properly. Any help would be seriously appreciated Thsnk you

I would normally use the trunk for woodwork, but I think the idea of using the branches is great.

a) Because they grow densely in a J-shape I'd assume to make the natural railing WHILE WET and tie / tension them on a wooden frame & allow to dry in the sun. (Just like black-wattle natural railings).
b) The trunks could just be cut to the length of the finished product (eg.6'ft or 8'ft) plus 1"inch and then stored on a Drop sheet/ Damp Proof Plastic in a shed in the /\ vertical position, to airate/ dry with the bark on.
c) The finished product would be when all the gummy/sticky resin has crystallised/hardened, enough for you to push one side through the sanding machine to be D-shaped.

Back