Advice On How To Go Above & Beyond During My First 2 Trail Days At A Reputable Arborculture Company

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of having fun...

I had to go back and look at your location. I would have guess the southeast, not northeast .... pronouncing trail and trial the same ;) Most of us don't even use the same number of syllables, let alone same vowel sounds. :laugh:

I lived in Alabama for a while (one of my favorite Alabama expressions is "The Boss Man" means Boss, and right there is "Right Deyhu" and am sometimes told I sound like I come from the south.

Can you footlock n get around without gaffs?

Any good with a throwbag?

Jomoco
A great friend of mine could climb up a vertical tree just by wrapping his feet around the trunk and using his leg power to move himself up the tree, I tried it & its no easy task even though my buddy makes it seem like he is part squirrel. I'm decent with a throwbag, I made one by filling a sock with rocksalt & tying up the ankle with a bowline knot.

Some good advice already given. The few that occurred to me reading the OP:
1) Leave your "expertise" behind. Doesn't sound like there is anything there to be the reason they are hiring you. Not that the experience isn't important, but you even recognized you are not an expert. Instead, go in with a learning attitude.
2) If you want to advance in your career as a climber, the most important thing to learn is about trees. (at least in my opinion). Remember, the point is NOT to climb a tree. The point is to care for (or remove) the tree. Climbing is only the tool. Too many hacks out there that think because they have the ability to get into a tree (whether via climbing or, more often, with a bucket) that they should be trusted to care for the tree. So...even in the first 2 days, start learning about trees.
3) You don't need to show off, but decide that nobody is going to outwork you. Not only your first 2 days, but every day. Doesn't mean you are always running 100MPH...think more like the tortoise and the hare. Just don't quit moving forward. You can live 2 days without your phone. Make it easy and leave it in the truck.
4) Don't brag about your free climbing. Safety is a very, VERY high priority for most reputable companies. Not only being/acting safe, but more of a safety mindset. If I knew you were illegally) free climbing train bridges and water towers I'd have strong doubts about your safety mindset... It does sound fun, I'll admit that, but just sayn'...if you want them to have a picture of you, think about what you want them to include in that picture.
5) Respect others' property/tools. Whether the company's or the client's. Care for it like you just bought it and want to return it to the store when you are done, pretending like it was never used.
6) Have fun!!!
Oh yeah, I am certainly aware of safety by now, I have fallen off bridges before, almost broke my feet one time, & almost TKO'ed myself by knocking my head against a arm rail, at 26 it has finally dawned on me that I am not superman. After I told my interviewer about my climbing adventures I told him that I realized the precarious balance between risk & reward, overconfidence & being too scared. Tree work is dangerous, thats why it pays so much, same goes for electricians. Don't worry, I won't conduct myself with a big head. I know above 55 feet the best falling advice is to land head first so you don't wind up a vegetable.

I have been watching tree climbing videos on youtube and I did see the footlocking method, but I've never done it before. In the video they said it is very taxing on your energy and take a while to mater with begginers, it looks wicked cool though. I'll practice out in my yard. I'm taking it easy though, my potential boss said sometimes it takes a couple weeks and sometime 6 months for someone to learn enough & become proficient enough to start working up in the trees. I'll focus on being a good groundy for now, as they say its best to start from the ground up.

Can you footlock n get around without gaffs?

Any good with a throwbag?

Jomoco

DIY throwbag, a sock filled with rocksalt tied to a paracord with a bowline knot. Using this to practice out in the yard as well.
View attachment 637137
Lol ok for practice but don't be taking that to the job hehe unless its fruit of the looms :laugh: No seriously don't take any sock ball lol not that its a bad idea but if they don't have a throw bag or ball they probably are not much of a tree company and should have a big shot as well!

Just give them what they pay you for! Have the same mentality a year from now if they hire you,do not fall in with grumbling employees! If 30 minute lunch do not take 35,even if the others do! Treat the equipment like you paid for it!
Great advice, grumbling employees are to be avoided, I mean you can hear it, just don't respond with anything but I'm new here and I like my job. The grumbling will come along through the years and its not a huge deal if its just i'm sore or that job was a beotch. I have seen an employee getting mad at me before lol no biggie. I usually tell him fk that ball head mo fo and have gotten a few grins and the fact I know what he was thinking sorta hypnotizes them. If your working hard and its hot as hell it is easy to have temper when someone like me says you ain't got this **** cleaned up yet daylights wasting :laugh: It however amazes them when I help and its done in 15 minutes lol

Haha no way am I bringing that sock ball to work, just for practice in the yard. Yep, they are giving me a very good hourly wage so ill give them the quality of work that they paid for. Also, avoiding grubling employees is a good tip as well. Office politics don't only occur in the office, I used to work a warehouse Job & learned to steer clear of any of the drama and dissagreements that were flaring up between bosses & supervisors. Never a good idea to give off any bad vibes, especailly in dangerous work such as tree removal, we gotta be able to count on eachother.

Haha no way am I bringing that sock ball to work, just for practice in the yard. Yep, they are giving me a very good hourly wage so ill give them the quality of work that they paid for. Also, avoiding grubling employees is a good tip as well. Office politics don't only occur in the office, I used to work a warehouse Job & learned to steer clear of any of the drama and dissagreements that were flaring up between bosses & supervisors. Never a good idea to give off any bad vibes, especailly in dangerous work such as tree removal, we gotta be able to count on eachother.
I'm retired now from construction but was always training new bosses. New towns, new builds, new company, and new bosses.. My advice? Show up drunk the first day.. That way people just naturally assume you're like that, becuzz only a fool or an idiot would do that. First day and all.. If ya make it till end of shift, you're good-to-go for the rest of the build. If not, you wouldn't wanna work for somebody that doesn't have a sense of humor. No wonder I'm retired huh? Cheers. Hope the job goes well. Please don't try this. I AM a trained professional. K

In addition to all the good suggestions here, “walk softly and carry a big stick.” Basically along the lines of the monk thing, but more specific. You will get flack from the others as the n00b. You will have times where you will not get along with someone, sometimes for seemingly no reason. Don’t let these things get to you, try to find humorous ways to downplay yourself while commending everyone else. Try to always look positively at everything, even if you can only find 1/2 of something positive. And if someone is obviously (to you) always picking on or negative toward you, or someone else, softly and gently TALK with them about it and let them know that you don’t like how it makes you feel. Use reverse psychology here. Apologize for how you feel from the way they are treating you. TRY TO NOT POINT THE FINGER AT THEM, because if you were in their position, you would be defensive if someone did that to you. Almost any issue between coworkers can be resolved, even if it is an agreement to disagree on something.

I say these things from experience. And I have had, and been commended for, how well I got along with my workmates, especially with ones my boss knew I didn’t “jell” with. Basically if you follow the golden rule and treat everyone with respect, even if they don’t deserve any respect, everyone will value you being on the team. I have had grown men cry when they had to let me go, because the place was closing, as they hated to put me in that situation and wanted to continue working with me.

Lastly, with regards “office politics”, be loyal to the job. Not the company, not the boss, and not your coworkers. If they see you refuse to take sides, and are a voice of reason, everyone will value and respect you even more.

I will find out next week when one of the bosses gets back from a buisiness trip.
It is quite apparent you didn't take my advice.. You know now that you are going to have to show up sober everyday. I don't blame you, it's a rookie mistake. I've been known to make that perticular mistake myself. Best I can do now is say, Good job, but you've really let us drunks down. I'm at the meeting now, and this topic has come up several times. We're not banning you, cuz ya got one more chance.. This means you must keep this job to remain in good standing. Anyway.., cheers. K. Post script. You know I'm teasing, don't cha?

Back