Advice on Latino workers (legal ones), what is your experience?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theXman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Finding and keeping employees is always a problem. :dizzy:

I'd really like to hear what you owners have experienced with Latino workers that come here on a work visa.

I went with two Mexican workers this year through an agency after my brothers business had success with some Mexican workers last year.

Unfortunately I've gotten some bad apples. One was steeling:mad: , so I fired him as soon as we had proof. Now my other guy is going to leave because his other buddy (that works for a farm) is being asked to leave because he was caught stealing. Word is they are going to move to the state my first dirt-ball went to because he's bragging he's getting paid $12/hr under the table at a restraunt. My current Mexican guy that is likely to leave this weekend is giving me a BS story that his boy in Mexico had an accident and he might have to go back home. I've about had it! I pay all this money to get them over here, then they steel or leave.

These guys were from Veracruz, Mexico. Two out of the three of my brothers workers are great and very loyal. All the buddies of the one I fired for steeling are now apparently bad apples too.

:help:
1. What countries do you get your workers from and what has been your experience? (I know people these days are always afraid to sterotype or generalize, I know there are always exceptions, but sterotypes or generalizations are created after a real pattern, so please, generalize all you want here).

I'm starting to think it's in Mexican culture to take advantage of whatever you can when you can, to help yourself. They will work hard, but you better police them or they will steal you blind. Yes, I do still believe that there are morally good Mexican workers, it's just I've seen so far that the percentage of thieves and liars is high. And now I've been talking to other companies and factories that employ them, I'm hearing the same thing.

2. What agency do you use and how have they been? My brothers used Amigos the first year. They did a great job but was very expensive. This year we used a smaller more private agent that was recommended by quite a few people. He did an aweful job this year, guys got here late, 2 guys never showed up and we haven't gotten replacements. No replacement for the guy I fired for stealing. Doesn't return phone calls..... goes on and on.... I've heard that a lot of the smaller agencies had problems getting workers here on time, this true?

3. Do you have any Latino climbers? From what country?

4. I hear that the workers from different Latin countries often don't get along and can cause many problems if they live and work together, this true?

5. I've heard that a lot of the smaller agencies had problems getting workers here on time, this year (2006), is this true?

I'd really appreciate some input from you owners that have experience in this.

Thank you,
X

If anyone wants to private message me instead of replying valuable information in public on the forum, you are welcome to PM me instead.

I sure could use some advice.

thank you,

here in Arkansas Latinos (epecially Mexicans) tend to be better than average workers

they are also usually illegal, but most everyone overlooks that

i'm a old guy and was grown before i ever saw a hispanic in Arkansas. The small town i grew up in ... where i first saw a bus load of tree planters from Mexico ... now that town has more hispanic children enrolled in the public school system than whites

That's how many immigrants there are here.

We have several poultry processing plants that have hundreds of workers in each plant and 100% of the folks on the floor will be hispanic or asian.

They would hire more if they could get them cuz they are good workers.

Of course you have a few rotten apples in any group but overall they are very good. This may change somewhat in your area of the country.

I think the most overlooked good labor source is temps. You only ask for a helper for a week. If he pans out, hire him on staff or keep him temp a few months if you are unsure. This way you can go thru 10 or 12 without the awkward process of firing the losers.

Hope it helps,
market

My parent company has had great luck with people from mexico they show up every day they are good at what the do they get paid well the only prob with a few is they are a little hard on equip other than that no problems (Im sure someone will have some thing harsh to say about this)Good help is hard to find its just a shame that most people dont want to work period just get paid

I've had dozens of latino co-workers in the landscape and arb business, and met a good share of awesome climbers my experience has been that businesses that treat latinos as equals with equal opportunity for advancement are blessed with professional and productive crews. An effort at a little bit of cultural sensitivity ie. self education on managements' part can go a long way toward recognizing and resolving any personality conflicts and or mis understandings. If you get a bad apple here or there well thats to be expected from any labor pool right?

Its pretty sad when you people have to get workers from out of country can't find a hard working white man here i am hire me i'll put all of them to shame don't think i'm serious try me .
oh do they even have trees in mexico? thats right they do! how else are they getting over the border!
WHITE MEN DON'T JUMP THEY CLIMB!
Later
MADBRAD312

wow that site is something else to bad that knuckle head that started that site didn't say that to his fat white ole lady !:laugh:
i know alot of native americans that would kick someones butt for saying their all one race and white people are the illegals ! heck sign me up for the border patrols i got a 308 that'll stamp their visas :laugh:
disneyland is part of the nazi reich heil mickey mouse whats next from them President Bush is a terrorist for bin laden god this is a deep subject to bad the Rio Grand wasn't.
WHITE MEN CAN'T JUMP THEY CLIMB
madbrad312

will ?will ? heck man they already have at least up here in cheese head land.
oh well the end is near if we keep supporting isrealites and bumping heads with iran.

theXman said:
1. What countries do you get your workers from and what has been your experience? (I know people these days are always afraid to sterotype or generalize, I know there are always exceptions, but sterotypes or generalizations are created after a real pattern, so please, generalize all you want here).

2. What agency do you use and how have they been? My brothers used Amigos the first year. They did a great job but was very expensive. This year we used a smaller more private agent that was recommended by quite a few people. He did an aweful job this year, guys got here late, 2 guys never showed up and we haven't gotten replacements. No replacement for the guy I fired for stealing. Doesn't return phone calls..... goes on and on.... I've heard that a lot of the smaller agencies had problems getting workers here on time, this true?

3. Do you have any Latino climbers? From what country?

4. I hear that the workers from different Latin countries often don't get along and can cause many problems if they live and work together, this true?

5. I've heard that a lot of the smaller agencies had problems getting workers here on time, this year (2006), is this true?

1. We have many Mexicans working for us. They are some of our best employees in terms of being hard workers. They are greatful to work long hours, and they don't complain much (although maybe that's because they don't speak english?) The ones that have served us best have been fresh across the border. They've usually done some sort of menial labor before they came to us like working in the groves or on dairy farms. We've had one guy that was a theif out of probibly 40 Mexicans. The rest of them have foul mouths, but we have nothing to complain about otherwise.

2. We've never used an agency. Try putting a sign outside your place saying hiring. If you can get oe or two good mexicans they usually have cousins or nephews that are looking for jobs. Be prepared to have your english speakig mexicans help others fill out their applications. Once you have a small group of mexicans it doesn't matter if they speak english if they just work together, and have a foreman that you can communicate with.

4. We have Puerto Ricans and Mexicans. Haven't had any trouble between them. Don't confuse a Puerto Rican with a Mexican though. They'll think you're ignorant and be insulted. The Puerto Ricans do seem to function much better socially than the Mexicans in terms of being more presentable and better fit for interacting with customers, probably because they're more americanized.

lightningloader,

I appreciate your information and for staying on topic instead of making this an imigration debate like some others have tried.

We can start an imigration debate on another thread. You guys can start it.

I admit, I sounded a little racist when I started the thread, I was just pissed off that I paid big money to get them here and I was having problems.

Thank you all for the helpful comments.

just wait till you lose your job to a illegal or your business gets farmed out overseas then see how you feel
i'm not racist that would be incorrect i do believe i'm predigest about companies giving jobs to illegals when we have AMERICANS born in the U.S.A that are starving, jobless, homeless.
companies that hire these illegals should be boycotted and ran in the dirt, but that is just my opinion.
what happened to taking care of our own? thats right cheap labor.
maybe we can get some chinese for ya how about another 10k among
good luck with your business as your going to need it
WHITE MEN CAN'T JUMP THEY CLIMB
madbrad312

Mad Brad we don't hire Mexicans because they're cheaper. We hire them because they work harder,and faster, and rarely complain. We're pretty fair with our employees too, so after a little while the Mexicans are making the same amount of money if not more than the average native because of their overtime.

You guys in recently invaided states don't know what your in for. Do you yourself an your community a favor. Go out and find stupid, druged out, worthless American kids and kick the sh!t out of them, work them like dogs, and turn them into men, they were already failed by their schools and parents, maybe you can do something for them. Those Wets are cheap now but trust me, in the long run they will turn this country into the dump they came from.

Let me tell you a little about how this works.

They aren't real cheap labor and we do offer jobs to US citizens.

Doing this the legal way as I do with H2B work visas.

The department of labor makes me put an ad in the local paper, our stupid paper will cost me $970, to run an ad for like 3 or 4 weeks.

We have to advertise for American employees first. If any apply, we gladly interview them and will hire them if they meet the simple qualifications.

After it is proven that no Americans will fill the job, then are we allowed to try to get foreign help.

We don't pay them cheap either, the department of labor tells us what the minimum pay will be for each particular job for the area. They view local job pay and set an average. Groundman starting is $8.22, climber is like $12.00. and it goes up from there.

I will hire good working American employees if I can find them. I would prefer too. The language barrier is a problem.

Look back at my posts, I think there should be one on this forum looking for skilled groundmen. Probably around May or June. I offered $25.00 an hour if I remember correctly. NOT ONE, NOT ONE person replied to my ads in various places. And climber pay at $35 an hour.

And you say don't give jobs away to the non-Americans. Well, if I didn't I would be out of business because I wouldn't have any employees! You Americans that say give us a job, don't even apply to a starting pay of $25 an hour for a groundman!

Plus you don't show up for the interview. Or show up drunk. Or late. Or late your first week of work. Or work extremely slow.

I do have American workers, it does take a long time to find a good one though that can keep up with me.

Later,

Oh yeah, and they do have all the same taxes come out of there pay that goes to our government, most of which they will probably never see or collect the benefits from in the future.

Federal tax, state tax, medicare, social security and FICA.

I would like to ask about how many "stupid, worthless, druged out American kids" that you have managed to work like dogs into manhood? Also, I would like to know how these same kids became the way they are because of their schools.

I would like to ask about how many "stupid, worthless, druged out American kids" that you have managed to kick the ???? out of and work like dogs into manhood? Also, I would like to know how these same kids became the way they are because of their schools and not their homes and parents.

X man, I have had the pleasure of watching a 50year old Mexican outwork, and, with more care about what he was doing, than a 24 year old white boy.

Ive seen both sides of the spectrum. Ive seen great White workers, and Ive seen great Mexican workers. Unfortunately, Ive seen more productivity, and better quality out of the latter. All being paid between $12 and $16 an hour, to outwork their white counterpart, being paid the same.

The argument, "they do the work Americans wont do" does hold some validity. Ive watched a Mexican worker do, without complaint, what a white worker was asked to do and complained about it. Keep in mind, both getting paid the same.

Not to mention there's no quibbling on the job-site. Most "families" stick together, and the respect for their elders is ragingly apparent. This is a good thing on a job-site.

Back