Advice on Latino workers (legal ones), what is your experience?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buff, I didn't understand what you were saying for a while. I understand now, you were replying to Romeo's comment.

My reply to Romeo is this. I am in business. If I took the time to hire drugged out kids in an attempt to clean them up (which is NOT likely to be successful) and try to make decent citizens out of them, I would be out of business. I'm sure it would be good for my soul, but it wouldn't feed my family and pay my expenses and other employees.
---------------------------

Here's my view plain and simple.

I run a business.

I need reliable hard working employees to make ends meet to stay in business.

I will search for good workers where ever I have to, to stay in business.

Our government looks out for the American worker (first)to make sure businesses offer jobs to our local people first. (And let me say this, if an American applies and meets the simple requirements: like showing up for the interview, willing to work 40 hours a week, able to show up for work, and perform his/her work at an adequate level, I basically will not, and CAN NOT turn them down).

Only after it is proven that I still have no workers. Then the government looks after me by allowing me to pull in foreign workers.

Allowing foreign workers to come here on a temporary visa to work is what is keeping the American businesses alive. Without them, we would not have reliable workers or any for that matter.

The workers that come here on work visas are screened in detail since 911.

If more workers were allowed to come here, there would be less illegals. There would be more tax revenue coming in from their paychecks and more businesses would have the man power they need to stay in business.

-------------------------------------
:monkey: Again, any AMERICANS interested in a groundman job please contact me. Especially if you have experience.

We are also looking for an experienced climber.

Also, a spray technician needed for next year, starting spring 2007.

-----------------------------------

theXman......I agree with you. A business can not stay in business very long if they attempt to run a rehab work program. I also agree that we could not function as an economy very well if all foreigners were sudenly terminated. One third of all doctors and more in nurses would disappear. Not to mention millions of other technical workers. Then there is the skilled and simi-skilled foreign labor that agriculture and construction depend on. These people show
on time dressed to go to work. And, they do not ask you to furnish them clothes, shoes, cigarettes and lunch money.

x-men where you located? i'm coming out to the east coast in feb. or march of next year newport news, virginia in fact. if your serious about hiring a groundman i'll look you up. as to experience i got 23 years of working in the woods logging. as to climbing i'm willing to try anything and to why i don't like illegals or somewhat illegals in this country because they are taking jobs that we underemployed or unemployed americans can do and will do. yes you have bad apples in every bunch but i'm not sure you exhausted all your resources for employees and no i didn't see your ad for a groundman in march or april or whatever month you said. but here i am now send me a application maybe i'll come out sooner. oh don't worry i'm not a drunk, druggie, have my drivers license, plus i'm american.
have a nice day
madbrad

Trying to rehab a druggy white kid is a losing proposition. It's even harder than trying to get your county law enforcment to do anything about known drug houses in the rural area where we live here in Texas.
We have had a thief hitting us for nearly two years. On 9-5 and 9-7 of this month he wiped us out of over $8000 in power tools (I am in the remodeling business mainly but own a sawmill and do logging) out of one tool trailer.
The Sheriff dept is a Barney Fife operation.
Everyone said, including me, it's probably illegals.
Well after the big haul I decided I had to do some investigative work on my own. After a couple of days of full time detective work my leads were pointing to a certain 19 year old white kid so I went around to 3 of our local drug houses and knocked some heads. Could have surely got arrested had the county known about it you can be sure, they would have wasted no time aressting a "vigilante".
After nearly a week of not working at all, just tracking down this vermin, I cornered him in town holed up with none other than his live-in female Bail Bondsman.
I politely showed him the light so to speak and he fessed up.
I am slowly getting my tools back as he goes around to various drug houses, some of which I visited and invited myself in, and retrieves them.
I will not get them all back.
Well I have totally screwed this thread up but I guess I had to vent. My point is, I blamed the Mexicans right off. Through my little bit of research I know that most of the rural theft is drug related white kids and that the county knows, and doesn't do squat about it.
I took on one of these charity cases in 99 and 2000, a kid siniliar to this punk who I now have reporting to me like a probation officer everyday, and that kid broke my heart. Stole me blind after he relapsed.
This one I am dealing with now isn't hardly even trying. He went and got the tools that were easy to get, but he only puts about an hour a day tracking down the others before I find him at one of the drug houses.
It would take another 12 paragraphs to explain how much hell that my wife and I and five kids are still going through because of this.
Suffice to say I had to sleep at my shop (about 12 miles from where we live) to protect the big stuff because we thought a gang of Mexicans was doing this and that they would be back to get the big $$$$$$$$K worth of stuff in the shop. My wife was worried sick I was going to get shot. Now, I don't have enough tools to finish building our house. Because I have to replace the tools, we cannot buy a car for our kids to go back and forth to school like we had said we would do for them this year at some point.
We almost surely won't get the house done by Christmas and have our first Christmas in our new home (we are building it out of pocket no mortgage).
Of course according to the county this is my fault because we did not yet have insurance on the place so the tools werent covered either.
There is much more to this stroy but my point is, as far as I am concerned the biggest problem we have in this country right now is not illegals, it is the f%$@^&@*&ing meth labs and white trash punks stealing like madmen to support their habits.
The fundamental problem though is that this country has taken God out of the schools and parents don't give a damn about raisinf their kids. Most all of these drug kids come from broken homes.
I am going to go out and hire a Mexican to live in a tent at my property to shoot white kids who try to come steal our liveliehood. I know I will have no problem finding a dependable one who ia a good shot.
Enough of my rant I apologize for trashing this thread. Moderater feel free to delete it. It's off my chest now.

Last edited:
texas timbers sorry about your lose. why not shot the pricks that got the crack or meth heads started on the drugs to begin with. local law enforcement can almost always suck specially when most frequent these houses to begin with. the only way to deal with this is like you did doing some digging around yourself and handling it yourself what would the law do to these people in court lets see probation maybe jail time. if it were my tools which is my lively hood they would not leave my sight or would be very secure in my proximity. as to the meth head that stole your tools you gave him a job? to pay for the tools? as to not having insurance to regain your loses i don't understand how you can run a business without it. if you hire an illegal to protect your possession's make sure it ain't you he starts shooting at.
good luck finding your tools and i'm sure you can convert the meth head into a good American.
have a nice day.
madbrad

madbrad312 said:
as to not having insurance to regain your loses i don't understand how you can run a business without it. madbrad

We normally do but this we are stretched thin because w edon't take loans out for anything, and the insurance rate for my tools was astronimical.

madbrad312 said:
........... i'm sure you can convert the meth head into a good American.
madbrad

I can tell you have no experience with this. I do. And as far as giving him a job, I am no longer willing to expose my family to this kind of ??????? like I did in 99 and 00 to try and help someone. I have teenage girls and he is not getting with a mile of them as long as I am alive. I appreciate your sugs brad but I respectfully submit you are being very naive when you say you are "sure" i can convert him into a good American. He is in the grip of a spirit far more powerful than simply giving him a job can correct. After I got through knocking heads the other day I went home and prayed for them. Tough love is not what these guys need. Tough time is what gets their attention. They often find Jesus in jail, and for a few, it sticks after they get out. Most revert back to old ways.

We had a bunch of white meth addicts next door to our plant, and they stole our tractor and some other odd equipment. They scream profanities at our workers from across the fence and play bumper cars with the trucks that people abandoned at their shanty village. I wouldn't hire anyone that had a history with meth or with buddies on meth unless they'd spent a good amount of time in jail being saved. May have been very good guys at one time, but once they start with the meth they just bring trouble with them wherever they go.

We've never had to worry much about our Mexicans being on drugs or anything. Don't know of any that have failed a drug test so far.

madbrad, I would be happy to interview you.

I PMed you.

I went and looked up my old post, it was back on 6/07/06:

High pay for experienced hard workers in Maryland for Arbor-X Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Experienced hard workers are highly valued and paid very well at Arbor-X in Maryland. If you are just an average tree service worker, please do not apply.

1.I'd like to find an experienced ground man that is worth $20 to $25 an hour. This position needs filled ASAP. read on below for what I'm looking for in a groundman.

2.possibly an experience climber as well ($25 to 35 an hour)see below. This position filled now or anytime in the future.

3.Spray technician. I have an extremely good offer for a very knowledgable insect/disease person. Talk to me if you know your stuff and are decent at talking to customers. hourly on estimates and percent on sales, (like your own company but you don't have to buy the equipment and insurance or establish a good reputation). I would like this position to be filled spring of 2007.

Work is way too busy this time of year for me to get on the net to check for responses, so leave a message on office phone 410 838-2999 and write to [email protected]. But right now, the phone call is what I will notice first, so do that and write some over an e-mail.

Do you have experience and good skills as a groundman but aren't paid well for your skill level and hard work?, then please contact me.

I will likely be interviewing over this next month and a half. If I find you interesting through the interview, we will then discuss our offer in pay per hour and the other benefits. We do have paid holidays, paid vacations and more valuable employees can have health care, retirement, etc...... That is all discussed if we make you an offer.

To be worth the 20 to 25 an hour, you probably need all these and maybe more:
2 or more years of experience full-time.

Excellent chain-saw skills, felling, bucking, cutting for the chipper, saw maintanance.

Excellent roping skills. Good with a lowering device. Good at not shock loading the ropes and rigging. Should be able to.... lets say, let a 2000 lb log run and come to a slow stop without bouncing the trunk and climber. Good understanding of the speed line and other rope rigging the climber may do.

Very good with keeping busy and not being a spectator.

Good mechanical knowledge.

Always on time to work or 10 minutes early.

Can handle a 12 hour work day and come back the next day for more. (we normally have around an 8 hour day, but...)

No smoking on the job.

Speak some Spanish, a plus.

Any CDL, a plus.

No drug use of any kind. Yes, POT is a drug.

No alcohol problems.

Excellent physical shape and use to hard fast moving work.

Good with stump grinder and most equipment.

Some skid loader experience.

Can drive a manual shift.

Know your tree species common names.

Continue to work hard and fast even when boss isn't around.

Have pride and love doing this work.

Arbor-X is a small but highly proffessional tree service in Bel Air, Maryland. We live in a rural area 40 minutes North East of Baltimore.

We have a large devoted customer base and have a great reputation.

Through numerous interviews I pick out the best workers with good attitudes. Our crew members always get along very well and no one is a slacker. You will be happy to work beside these guys and we do some amazing jobs.

We specialize in trees only. No landscaping, no mowing, no turf care. We are a Maryland Licensed Tree Expert company.

Tree removals, stump removals, tree trimming, cabling/bracing, land and lot clearing, insect/disease (but currently not applying) pesticide/herbicide licensed.

I created a small web-site myself a month or so ago, things got busy and I haven't had time to add the 200 or more pictures that I intended to. I also wanted to improve the wording but work got too busy, but anyway, you may learn something about us from the site: www.arborx.com
---------------------------------
Are you an experienced climber? or do you have only some experience but you can tell you have a natural ability to become an excellent climber with more time? I would be interested in interviewing you as well.

a good experienced climber that can do everything is worth $25 to 35 an hour starting.

----------------------
Also I want a good spray technician. If you are excellent at identifying insects and diseases and are good with applications and talking to customers, I want to talk with you. I'm looking for an excellent person that can handle the whole insect/disease area of Arbor-X. I have an offer that any competent individual would be crazy to pass up. It involves a take home company truck, you get a large portion of the sales, you get health plan, retirement.......... You are very responsible for what you make. I would help you get started and work with you the first year. Maybe grossing 30,000 to 100,000 a year?

Thank you,

David Driver
Arbor-X Inc
410 838-2999

Everybody seems to forget that this country (and many others) was built by immigrants. Where do you think all the white crackers around here came from? Did they fall out of cracker trees 1000 years ago?

If someone is paying $30,000 to $100,000 do they really need to advertise?

cracker-saltine or wheat ?

Guardabosques said:
Everybody seems to forget that this country (and many others) was built by immigrants. Where do you think all the white crackers around here came from? Did they fall out of cracker trees 1000 years ago?
go climb back in the monkeys azz you fell out of:monkey:
wait no thats one of your ancestors isn't it sorry:monkey:
cracker trees i like that something else to drop on your porch monkey azz
:deadhorse:

To madbrad312: I see why you go by "Mad Brad." I myself am mostly saltine. You make many assumptions about my race and ethnicity based off of my comment. In reality, I am no less cracker than you. Just less ignorant.

To the Forum Moderators: Where are you? How long are you going to let this racial crap go on? The conversation in this thread gives a bad name to arborists, Sherrill, and tree climbing folks in general.

wait till you lose a job to a illegal

Guardabosques said:
To madbrad312: I see why you go by "Mad Brad." I myself am mostly saltine. You make many assumptions about my race and ethnicity based off of my comment. In reality, I am no less cracker than you. Just less ignorant.

To the Forum Moderators: Where are you? How long are you going to let this racial crap go on? The conversation in this thread gives a bad name to arborists, Sherrill, and tree climbing folks in general.
you are politically incorrect calling white people crackers falling out of a cracker tree i bet you take no pride in your family ancestry your not ignorant just a tree hugger in disguise:censored:
i'm not white neither i'm Swedish and proud of it
WHITE CAN'T JUMP THEY CLIMB
MADBRAD:greenchainsaw:

When it comes down to it you folks that choose to hire latino workers are hurting this country in a very bad way. The saying that "none of the lazy white boys are willing to do these jobs anymore" is bullchit! Thats just the greedy contractors excuse to pay unfair wages and reep more profits for himself. I agree some of our people in this country are not worth a ****. It is just that you guys make it out to be that NOONE in this country is willing to do the work. We american citizens need to be payed more because its more expensive for us to live here in our own country. I know the latino workers are here looking for a better life but in order for them to gain that better life they must take away from ours! They are NOT helping our country at all...thaey are hurting it. Look at all the crime and drugs and disease they bring up here. As if we didn't have enough all ready?? I know that there are some good latino people but there is also still some good american workers you just have to give them a chance. Most of you contractor like to hire the latinos because its more money in your greedy pocket! If you love and care about your country you would'nt do this sort of thing. Be an amercian and hire an american you greedy fools. All this will come back to bite you in the near futer! I promise!

PS.. I know someone will say this country was founded on immigrants and it was, but what happens when you folks keep bringing them up here and all of a sudden 1/3 of the population is all these immigrants? Alot...crime, terrorism,drugs,disease.. the true american people won't have any way to live so that will cause even more crime because they will do what neccesary to survive, just like the latinos in there own country. Thats the baggage they bring.

Last edited:
has anyone else lost a job to an illegal?

how many people losing their jobs and lively hood is it going to take before americans wake up? i guess most of them unless we standup and fight for our rights. i'm sick of all these people who are trying to be politically correct when deep down they know white people are becoming the minority.
i say to them god gave you a set of you know what how about using them and voicing your concerns
i know blah blah just wait till you lose a job to a illegal and it'll happen soon
WHITE MEN CAN'T JUMP THEY CLIMB
MADBRAD

I've lost 3 jobs in the last 4 years due to manufacturing plants deciding that they can make more money by relocating the factory in mexico. Does that mean I am unwilling to do the job? No they were takin from me and I was layed off to start all over some place else If I can find another place. I showed up on time and never missed any work and I took pride in what I was doing. What did I do wrong to be punished? This is how it is all over america.
Do any of you folks that want to hire latino workers have anything to say about that? Prabably no.. as long as you don't have to pay a higher wage to an american worker and keep the difference in YOUR pocket. It all comes down to GREED!

You guys should go to the "OFF TOPIC" forum, in there is a thread started titled "View on Immigration". This matches the conversation that you wish to have better.

Slip knot, one of the things you said was, "It is just that you guys make it out to be that NOONE in this country is willing to do the work. We american citizens need to be payed more because its more expensive for us to live here in our own country."

I don't make it up that I can't find workers. And I do pay very well. I honestly would rather have a good American worker and I'm looking for them all the time.

If I don't have a single American worker apply, what do you want me to do? Not hire anyone?:bang:

Don't confuse H2B temporary workers with illegal immigrants. Did you read back in my past posts to see what the process is? I advertise to Americans first.

We don't pay them cheap. We have to start them at the rate of the average worker of this job description in our area.

I am willing to pay very well for a good American worker. Look back at my Ad I ran on this site in June! I ran this ad on other tree forums as well. I did NOT get ONE response from any American worker. Not one response!!! Madbrad is the only one that said he'd come for an interview when in the area, but he just said that recently in response to this thread. No one responded back in June when I really needed someone.

I usually find my good American workers by posting on Monster.com. I was about to do this again in June, but one of my American workers came back to me and I figured I could finish this work season off okay with his help. This winter I will post on Monster.com and I will likely find one good American worker after an ad runs for 60 days.

Don't confuse H2B workers with illegals. Yes, those that hire illegals like to do it cause they are a very cheap sorce of labor. I hire H2B workers, so I will have workers.

later,

X Man, I as a Latino tree care owner would like to let you know that there are indeed out there good labor that will work hard for they're money. Down here I hear stories of contractors picking up day labor and not paying them or leaving them on site. That really pissses me off to hear that not simply beacause they're my race but because there is hard laborer workers out there of all races. But that is a big issue here in Texas.

I am about an 1.5 hours north of TXtreeman, in Fannin County. I am of Scot?Irish blood but I am 100% Texan and 100% American. I am also 100% self-employed.

But what many of you fail to realize is that this issue is not 100% right or wrong. You are caught in the middle of more than one issue. The political issue is too much to add to the mix but I will say that the poiticians have us Texans and Mexicans at each others' throats and that is what they do. That's how they control wars as well.

Every country has the right, AND the responsibility to control the inflow of immigrants by opening and closing the border so to speak i.e. enforcing laws already in place, turning a blind eye, or writing new laws.

Mexicans have been coming across our border since we conquered them and kicked them off of THIER land which they took from the Indians which they took from the Paleo . . . ad infinitum.

The fact is, Mexicans will come to better themselves in America as long as we allow them to. When we as Americans FORCE our corrupt politicians (by vote or recall) to enforce our current immigration laws FULLY then the debate will end and Mexicans will be alowed to become Americans the way the immigration laws are designed to allow for immigration.

The majority of Americans who are against the illegal flood of Mexicans seem to look ONLY at the negative impact they are having. And it is astronomical in terms of money out of our pockets as a whole, but it can't be "seen" by most Americans.

The contractors who benefit in terms of profit only care about the short term. The long term negative effect of widespread illegal immigration form an American standpoint is that our culture is literally going to dissapear within a few short generations. We are letting it by not having recall elections and by not going to the voting booth and putting in representitives who will ENFORCE the current immigration laws.

Having said all that, Mexicans workers are for the most part hardworking and honest and just want to have the same thing OUR forefathers were in search of when they came over on the Mayflower . . . . a better life. Hating them for that is not the answer. I am currently looking for more Mexican workers because I CANNOT find any willing Americans (of any color) to do the jobs. At the same time, my mexican workers know I am for limited immigration and we debate it routinely. We disagree but respect each other because we are all on the same page. An honest days' work for an honest days pay.

Until "Mexican-haters" realize that it is not the Mexicans that are the problem, but OURSELVES for allowing the politicians to be more concerned with their own little empire than with upholding their Oaths of Office, then quit your crying, complaining, and finger-pointing.
As for me I will continue to hire anyone who is reliable, hard working, dependable, and honest. Those qualities cross all racial lines and borders.

First of all I'm not an arborist,I'm a logger but theres a lot of common ground here between the two occupations. There are a lot of Hispanics working in the woods now. The majority of them are just like workers anywhere and aren't any problem to anyone. My only real gripe about them is the language problem. Communication,especially in the woods,is absolutely vital from a safety standpoint. If I can't communicate with a man I can't be sure he understands how to keep himself,and those affected by his actions,from making dangerous mistakes. Its not enough to have one or two good English speakers on the crew who'll interpret for the rest. Communication can't have any lag time...especially when things are tight and an action one way or the other,undertaken in just a second,can cost or save a life.
I've seen way too many guys packed out of the woods hurt. Or dead. If a guy can't speak enough English he doesn't work.

Latest posts

Back