Advice on log splitter purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canamkayaker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I’m in the market for a log splitter. Homeowner use only. Pretty sure I want 25-30 ton. The only thing I can really differentiate between all the models are the engine brands. Any recommendations for under $1400? Anything I should stay away from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are the ones I’ve narrowed it down to because they are local

Champion 27 ton= $999
Black diamond 30 ton= $1199
Black diamond 25 ton ton= $899
County line 25 ton= $899

I’m leaning towards the black diamonds because they have Briggs and Stratton.

These are the ones I’ve narrowed it down to because they are local

Champion 27 ton= $999
Black diamond 30 ton= $1199
Black diamond 25 ton ton= $899
County line 25 ton= $899

I’m leaning towards the black diamonds because they have Briggs and Stratton.

So is 5 tons worth $300? How much and how big is the wood that you're looking to process and the type (hardness)?

Homelite collector in training [emoji879]

Answering a question with a question doesn't help[emoji848]
If money isn't an option go w/ the 30, I asked because bigger isn't always better cost wise.
Take a 2500 HD pick up vs 1500, big sure is nice...until you need to do repairs like brakes or transmission and those bigger parts cost 2-3x's more.
Just saying, it appears that you've answered your own question by narrowing down a brand.

Homelite collector in training [emoji879]

Is there any true performance differences that will be noticed? Is there wood that a 25 ton actually won’t be able to split? Is the 30 worth the extra $?

If it has a Briggs (unless it is a Vanguard) it is junk. Honda GX or GS (not GC) Kawasaki, Kohler Command (not Courage) and Subaru/Robins are all good. The Chinese clones are better than the Briggs (or Courage) and at least as good as Honda GC.

If you searched first you would already know that the Speeco is the best bang for your buck.

Is there any true performance differences that will be noticed? Is there wood that a 25 ton actually won’t be able to split?

Most manufacturers overrate their splitters. The size of the cylinder is what makes more force at the expense of speed. Realistically a 4" cylinder is a 15 ton, 4.5" is a 20 ton, 5" is 25 ton.
Unless the 30ton is running a 5.5" cylinder (doubtful) the system would have to be at 3100 psi to get that force from a 5" cylinder. I bet the pump is only putting out 2500 psi.
On the other end of the equation more horsepower gives you the ability to run a faster pump. A 6hp engine spinning a 11gpm pump will give you the same force as a 16 hp engine spinning a 22 gpm pump. The 22 gpm pump will just do it twice as fast.

I did the search, didn’t find any information about the ones I listed.

I picked the county line 25 ton from TSC. Honestly it came down to these were still in the crate and haven’t been in the weather like the other choices. They’re assembling it to be ready for pick up tomorrow. They also gave me the veterans discount so it’s a little under $900 out the door. I figure do my maintenance and if the engine gives out in a few years I’ll replace it with a FJ180D or command 7. I estimate it’ll get 100 hrs a year run time so I think I can make it last a while though.

I think you will be happy with your choice. I would do 2 things rite from the start.
I would check the hydraulic fill/dip stick and see if it has the little air hole in it and if it does, I would replace it with a water proof cap.
The other thing is get you one of those cheap digital hour meters so you can keep track of hours for oil changes.
Keep it covered if you leave it outside. And always run a tank of ethanol free fuel through it before you store it.
Happy splitting!

I picked the county line 25 ton from TSC. Honestly it came down to these were still in the crate and haven’t been in the weather like the other choices. They’re assembling it to be ready for pick up tomorrow. They also gave me the veterans discount so it’s a little under $900 out the door. I figure do my maintenance and if the engine gives out in a few years I’ll replace it with a FJ180D or command 7. I estimate it’ll get 100 hrs a year run time so I think I can make it last a while though.

i have that splitter and so far so good. It sat for a few months this summer and when i went out to split it started on the first pull. A little tougher to start when temps are in the teens here but no issuses otherwise. good luck with it.

I think you will be happy with your choice. I would do 2 things rite from the start.
I would check the hydraulic fill/dip stick and see if it has the little air hole in it and if it does, I would replace it with a water proof cap.
The other thing is get you one of those cheap digital hour meters so you can keep track of hours for oil changes.
Keep it covered if you leave it outside. And always run a tank of ethanol free fuel through it before you store it.
Happy splitting!

I’ll check the cap for sure. Great idea on the hr meter. I put them on my generators a few years ago. I only run ethanol free in my small engines

I’ll check the cap for sure. Great idea on the hr meter. I put them on my generators a few years ago. I only run ethanol free in my small engines

Nothing wrong with running ethanol if your running it on a regular basis. It's just when you plan on letting it sit is when it's most important to run the e free fuel.

It runs great and I can’t be happier. It’s such a time saver! I always say everything I have has a price but this thing is not for sale!!!

055b93efa4f78fc631ec2346a70922f6.jpg

It runs great and I can’t be happier. It’s such a time saver! I always say everything I have has a price but this thing is not for sale!!!

055b93efa4f78fc631ec2346a70922f6.jpg

Now you will be looking for extra wood to split, just so you can split wood. :)

I see it has the hydraulic dip stick with the little vent hole in it. Need to keep that covered or replace it. The hole may be on the side but it will let water in if left out in the rain. Been there done that.

Your splitting just went from work to fun.;)

Back