Advice on Pine and Sweetgum - trunks too close?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jp_over

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Friends,

I'm clearing some overdue fence at a family member's house and need advice on 2 trees. I have a very mature pine with a sweetgum growing immediately adjacent to the trunk. Should I remove the sweetgum? Sweetgum always grows back and I'm not sure on leaving the stump or trying to remove it and risking damage to the mature pine.

Here are some photos of the situation:
tree 1.JPG
Thanks!

I've done a bit of searching and reading on this and from what I gather I should remove the sweetgum and cut it back until it dies, then allowing the stump and roots to simply decompose. Any pros/cons of this approach?

I've done a bit of searching and reading on this and from what I gather I should remove the sweetgum and cut it back until it dies, then allowing the stump and roots to simply decompose. Any pros/cons of this approach?
That’s what I would do. Stump it then bust off the green re-growth a couple of times a year. Doubt it will last more than a couple of years. I can’t see any cons.

Latest posts

Back