Advice on renting/using brush chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cighon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a large pile of limbs from a large red oak i had a tree service drop for me and others from numerous other trees that fell in my back yard (i am keeping the larger wood for my woodstove). the pile has all the limbs pointed in the same direction so i can just grab and chip easily. want to rent a chipper from a local rental company or Home Depot. I have used power equip before but not a chipper. any advice on use or renting???

Home Depot does not rent chippers. Avg. cost will be between $200-300 per day. The most important thing to keep in mind when chipping is not to reach in to the chipper or kick pieces into the chipper. Its how homeowners get reduced to hamburger.

No advise on renting, but if you decide to do it, don't get one of those tiny ones they sell on TV!

Start slow til you get used to the speed of the infeed.

Stand to the side of the opening, with one hand on the emergency stop bar. Sometimes small pieces come flying back out

Ear plugs, Eye protection, maybe a face shield if you ain't so tough:biggrin:, gloves.

Let the branches go where they want once they've started in and watch out for the whip!

Good luck.

Home Depot does not rent chippers. Avg. cost will be between $200-300 per day. The most important thing to keep in mind when chipping is not to reach in to the chipper or kick pieces into the chipper. Its how homeowners get reduced to hamburger.

Unless they have stopped recently they offer a 6 inch chipper at HD around here.

Prior to leaving the store, have them personally and in front of you go through the machine, checking the oil, the radiator, the belt tightness (if belt driven), tire pressure, the works. And most importantly, have them inspect and show you the sharpness of the blades. They do not sharpen these everytime the machine goes out. Happened to me years ago, rented a machine and the chipper threw the blades. Turns out they were as sharp as your thumb and when running 6" oak linmbs through it, all hell broke loose and they tried to blame me for the explosion.

I rent the Home Depot 6" Vermeer unit or a 6" Bandit unit from a local rental yard a couple times per year for chipping brush/branches at my cemetery. The 6" Home Depot unit will competently chip 3-4" material quickly, and 5-6" material at a decent pace. The total rental for 24 hours runs me $215 or so with tax and the damage warranty thingee. The 4-hour rate would get me out for about $150, I think.

Operation is very straight-forward. The only warning is to NOT feed short, stubby pieces in, as they can wedge between the feed rollers and the chipper disc, requiring you to (contrary to HD's policies) dissemble the chipper to pry/cut the piece out. If you just feed stuff in straight, and avoid really odd-shaped pieces that fill up most/all of the infeed opening (and are thus prone to twisting and wedging themselves in), you'll be a-ok.

Also understand, as was posted above, that the blades are NOT change/sharpened with every rental. There is a certain roll-of-the-dice component to this, as you could get the unit after some a-hole fed sandy brush through. But generally, I've been satisfied with the machines over the 20 or so times I've rented.

Jeep_Chipper.jpg

2005_Fall_Cemetery_Workday_237Medium.jpg

2005_Fall_Cemetery_Workday_256Medium.jpg

Prior to leaving the store, have them personally and in front of you go through the machine, checking the oil, the radiator, the belt tightness (if belt driven), tire pressure, the works. And most importantly, have them inspect and show you the sharpness of the blades. They do not sharpen these everytime the machine goes out. Happened to me years ago, rented a machine and the chipper threw the blades. Turns out they were as sharp as your thumb and when running 6" oak linmbs through it, all hell broke loose and they tried to blame me for the explosion.

Good advice there, especially about the thing being sharp. You at least deserve a sharp tool for the money. I would specifically explain that on the phone when you reserve it. Also tell them since there is no way you want to be responsible for any accident that might happen to make sure you get the good ins package. As long as you have that they really can't say anything. I mean can an average Joe be expected to be responsible for a machine he basically knows nothing about? Sure if he fills the tank up with water but anything else? Come on, it has to be expected... just like the thing exploding because its an abused rental yard unit.

honestly if its a small pile you may find a tree crew in the area and toss them $100 to run it threw and take the chips... you save money, brush is gone, you dont get off the EZ chair and they have a few extra dollars for beer and smokes this week.

Be sure to buy LOTS of fuel. Those things suck-up the fuel!!!!!
Sold mine!!! Now I just use a very small amount ^ and get out the Hot Dogs and Buns....

Be sure to buy LOTS of fuel. Those things suck-up the fuel!!!!!
Sold mine!!! Now I just use a very small amount ^ and get out the Hot Dogs and Buns....

OH! and if I need wood chips???, I just wait for a good sale at HD or Lo....
WAY cheeper than fuel.....

Think of the time work and money you could have saved...

You have received good responses and various alternatives about your project. You could have saved time, money and work by having the tree crew leave out the firewood logs and haul the limbs. No more needs to be said.

thanks, all good advice. i want the chips. big pile of 3 tree tops. will look into pricing next.

+1.

I think some of the other guys are missing the point here - there is something fun about chipping your own brush, keeping your own chips, etc. - even if it might have been cheaper to hire it out. For those of us who have other day jobs, this is recreation, and spending a few bucks on a chipper and fuel is no different than spending a few bucks on a gym membership, a new tennis racket, or something like that.

Happy chippin'!

Back