Advice on Tree Removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toicy4ya

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a large magnolia tree in my front yard that I would like removed. The tree is beautiful but is a challenge to maintain. Aside from being close to the front of our home, about 7 feet and has a 7.16 DBH. The branches constantly brush against our roof and front of our home. In addition, it drops tons of leaves all year around which need to be picked up by hand because the tree is surrounded by pine bark nugget mulch (per HOA) so it can't be raked. Lastly, the tree overshadows a large part of my flower bed which often kills plants that are planted. Per my HOA, i was advised that I would need a permit to remove the tree. I guess my question is, if I submit a request to Hillsborough county to remove the magnolia tree, would it be approved based on the grounds listed above? This is all new to me so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

This is a subject for the permitting people.

The tree is 7 feet wide? Are you sure you are measuring it right? As for anything else, if the tree is healthy and it poses no threat to persons or property, chances are between the HOA and the town it'll be hard to have it removed based solely on your reasons.
Never heard of leaves that can't be raked.....that is ridiculous.....and if you know that the plants won't survive there, why are you planting them? Plant something else that will.

The tree is located in our front yard and is a distance of 7 feet from our home. I would say it poses a threat if it is hitting the roof and front of our home. However, this is all new to me. The tree is surrounded by Pine bark nugget mulch (per HOA). When the leaves fall, they fall on top of the mulch which makes it impossible to rake without also raking the mulch.

I assume you would hire a certified arborist for the removal. As part of the permitting process the arborist would submit a Dangerous Tree Declaration if he deemed it to be dangerous. https://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/...rces/dangerous-tree-declaration-printable.pdf It is far from clear from the County tree removal permit page (https://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/...action-folder/apply-for-a-tree-removal-permit) whether any reason is required for removal of such a tree, or if it is sufficient just to apply and pay for a permit.

Regardless, if there is a tree 7+ feet in diameter growing 7 feet away from a residence, I suspect it would qualify as dangerous or causing damage.

7ft diameter? I have never seen a magnolia that big. 7ft circumference sure, but diameter?

Sounds like you have a nightmare of a place to live. I bought a house way out in the country specifically to avoid dealing with those kinds of regulations. Nothing beats just going out and cutting whatever you want, whenever you want, and it only mattering if it lands on power lines.

7ft diameter? I have never seen a magnolia that big. 7ft circumference sure, but diameter?

Sounds like you have a nightmare of a place to live. I bought a house way out in the country specifically to avoid dealing with those kinds of regulations. Nothing beats just going out and cutting whatever you want, whenever you want, and it only mattering if it lands on power lines.
That's why I live where I live too

Latest posts

Back