Advice: what chainsaw is (really) dependable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think given the tree sizes you're dealing with (31.5") you might actually be a good candidate for the pro-level Stihl MS400 which is a light weight 67cc saw with a 51cm or 64cm light bar.

If this is outside your price point then I would probably look to the four kings of professional 50cc saws (in no particular order):

1) Echo CS-501P/CS-501-SX
2) Stihl MS261 (recommend 18"/46cm bar with narrow kerf chain)
3) Husqvarna 550xp Mark 2 (recommend 20"/51cm bar with narrow kerf chain)
4) Dolmar PS5105C

It's hard to get to specific with recommendations as you didn't specify where you're from. "Europe" is not a country haha.

I've never been a big fan of 60cc saws. They possess neither the lightweight and agility of the 50cc saws (which are nice to work with for extended periods) or the power of the 70cc class which makes up for the weight.
I dont know if I can agree with that, I stopped using my old 026 after I got my 562xp, the weight difference was negligible and the power difference was very noticable. I've ran 044, 440mags, 372, and demoed a 572. Cant say I had the wow factor I did from the 50 to 60cc class. All outstanding saws, but not enough to get my money, owning saws smaller and larger.

Buy a model / size that you can use effectively. How many hours a week / month, what kind of forest?

I have always bought used saws because they have been available here, I do not use them every day, this year about 200 cubic meters. A few days ago 45-65cm dia birch, aspen trees, ms260 + 16" 3/8 63PM, I bought it in 2003.

I think given the tree sizes you're dealing with (31.5") you might actually be a good candidate for the pro-level Stihl MS400 which is a light weight 67cc saw with a 51cm or 64cm light bar.

If this is outside your price point then I would probably look to the four kings of professional 50cc saws (in no particular order):

4) Dolmar PS5105C

It's hard to get to specific with recommendations as you didn't specify where you're from. "Europe" is not a country haha.

I've never been a big fan of 60cc saws. They possess neither the lightweight and agility of the 50cc saws (which are nice to work with for extended periods) or the power of the 70cc class which makes up for the weight.
I use my 60cc saw as much as 70cc and more then my 50cc. If i want to go light and agile and keep going extended periods i grab an 025 which is a little smaller but has plenty of zip for small to medium wood. Usually I actually feel like i am taking a break with it and still am getting a reasonable amount of work done. The 50cc lineup feels to close to the bulk of my 60cc and is with less power so gets used less in either situation. I have a ported 026 50cc and an muffler modfed 034super for 60cc . I like 70cc when 60 isn't quite enough and if i need more then that usually skip up to 85 or 90.
O.P.,
I haven't much experiences with the latest models but the last 30 years the most hours i put on and very reliable saws i have kept and run much have been the 034-036 series, 025's (ms250' s older brother), 064-ms660 series and an 044 (ms440) i am partial to. I had some not so good experiences with an Husky 55 and 372 but little over year ago picked up a few 365s for resell and i still have 1 i am using for my 70cc slot with a 24inch bar. Got to say i like it very well. It pulls the 24inch very well buried in hardwoods and even though the 372's are near the same build, somehow it feels lighter to me and will cut a ton of wood on a tankful of fuel. I might keep it for a while as they do have a good reputation for reliability. The Dolmar Makita saws i had (64cc) would fill the bill very much like the 365. When it comes finding parts, service, resell and handling, mostly stihl has worked better for me all around.

I dont know if I can agree with that, I stopped using my old 026 after I got my 562xp, the weight difference was negligible and the power difference was very noticable. I've ran 044, 440mags, 372, and demoed a 572. Cant say I had the wow factor I did from the 50 to 60cc class. All outstanding saws, but not enough to get my money, owning saws smaller and larger.
The Stihl 026 was a 49cc saw with 3.5hp and weighed about 10.4 pounds. Going to a modern 562XP is a big leap of 1.2hp. If you compare a modern 50cc pro saw from Husky or Stihl (4hp) to a the equivalent 60cc saw the gap is smaller.

In terms of weight being negligible-I don't know how 3 full pounds is negligible. A 562XP comes in at 13.4 pounds. If you are using these saws everyday for hours that's a LOT. At the same weight you could be running a 72cc Stihl MS462 (13.2 pounds) and have the option to run a 28" bar.

Thanks a lot for all the responses, this has got the be one of the most active forums I have visited in years...I did not know forums this active still existed! :D Awesome!

I'm going to check out all recommendations (I didn't realize Makita was making chainsaws as well, Echo is new to me. I think it is a lot better known in the US, but I have quickly checked and found some dealers in the neighborhood, as well).

Thanks again!

The Stihl 026 was a 49cc saw with 3.5hp and weighed about 10.4 pounds. Going to a modern 562XP is a big leap of 1.2hp. If you compare a modern 50cc pro saw from Husky or Stihl (4hp) to a the equivalent 60cc saw the gap is smaller.

In terms of weight being negligible-I don't know how 3 full pounds is negligible. A 562XP comes in at 13.4 pounds. If you are using these saws everyday for hours that's a LOT. At the same weight you could be running a 72cc Stihl MS462 (13.2 pounds) and have the option to run a 28" bar.
You have that same option with the 562xp for a 28" bar. Yes its the max bar saiz, and no it doesnt quite have the power of a 70cc saw. And I guess I should have left the 026 out for weights, when you look at the more modern saws ms261, and the 550mii your closer to in weight. And no the power of said saw to weight, and how it handles is negligible. At least in my mind, like I previously stated I gave away a perfectly good running 026 in favor of the heavier saw. And you have a Very valid point with the ms462 power and weight wise, stihl did an excellent job of trimming the weight off that saw.

Thanks a lot for all the responses, this has got the be one of the most active forums I have visited in years...I did not know forums this active still existed! :D Awesome!

I'm going to check out all recommendations (I didn't realize Makita was making chainsaws as well, Echo is new to me. I think it is a lot better known in the US, but I have quickly checked and found some dealers in the neighborhood, as well).

Thanks again!
Makita is out of the gas powered saw game in a few years. I woulnt not, reccomend one, but I wouldn't necessarily just jump on one. Knowing parts sometime down the line may be rough to find. (Shouldnt be for years though)

Thanks again!
Stihl 261 0r 271, depending on your bank. I'll go to hell and back with a 261.

Stihl 261 0r 271, depending on your bank. I'll go to hell and back with a 261.

I frequently do!!

Love the little weapon, 'Precious' we call her.

362 has proven itself recently, bit rough & old school compared to some of the newer Stihl offerings, but solid. 'Brick n' Tile' is it's name.

462!! For critical critical cuts or pushing through the hours of power at the end of a 14 hour day, no other saw prefer to have in hand. Love the saw.
'The One' he's called.

I didn't realize Makita was making chainsaws
‘Makita’ and ‘Dolmar’ are the same brand. ‘Husqvarna’ and ‘Jonsered’ are the same brand. Choosing a saw from a good, local dealer, who will be there to support you, should also be part of your choice.

Philbert

4) Dolmar PS5105C

Stihl MS 462 you won't be sorry.

I think some of you guys missed the point (unless I did). He has been running one of the smallest Husqvarna saw ever made. He wants something dependable. He is not used to running a big saw or even a medium saw. I agree those ms 440 and 371 sizes are good saws and dependable but they are a big jump from his current saw. If he had a 346 in his hands it would seem like a lazer. Let's try to advise him in the small to medium range unless he wants something in the larger size. Mike

I think some of you guys missed the point (unless I did). He has been running one of the smallest Husqvarna saw ever made. He wants something dependable. He is not used to running a big saw or even a medium saw. I agree those ms 440 and 371 sizes are good saws and dependable but they are a big jump from his current saw. If he had a 346 in his hands it would seem like a lazer. Let's try to advise him in the small to medium range unless he wants something in the larger size. Mike
I did that. 562xp or ms362. Both dependable, hard working saws. In his price range, that will handle whatever task he needs done.

Back