Advice: what chainsaw is (really) dependable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did that. 562xp or ms362. Both dependable, hard working saws. In his price range, that will handle whatever task he needs done.

Sure, nice saws, but in the 60cc class, including models that are a few years old, are those two really your pick for dependability? Personally if I wanted something as reliable as a cinder block, I'd take a ms360 or 361, a husky 359, or an echo 590, 600, or 620 over either of the saws ending in 62.

Yep, tbh I didnt know the ms 360 or 361 were still in production, if so i would have given the nod to the ms361 over the ms362. yes I have both a ported 359 (which is nla) and a 562xp. 2012 model that's been used hard and given me 0 issues. 5 bolt case that never leaked, still has the original el42 carb. They did nothing but improve on them since they came out. As he was asking about new saws, and mentioned husqy, and stihl, (not echo so I left them out)not being familiar with larger saws these seemed like the logical 2 to reccomend. After further comments from the OP it still seems logical to reccomend the middle of the road displacement pro grade saws. If your terrible worried about the auto tune/ mtronic the you can drop down to the farm boss/ rancher series. But tbh they dont compare to my pics. Heavier and less powerful. There is the 50cc debate, which I'll consent would also be a toss up between the ms261 and the 550xp mark ii. But again (and this is just my opinion) if were going for one saw to do several tasks the 60cc class is the perfect all around saw. Not too big, not too little. Capable of 18 to 24" bars. Leaves a lot of room for different tasks.

Thanks for all the additional advice and comments. I've been spending quite a few hours the last couple of days researching the various options you've all given.

I'm leaning towards those two (or their husqvarna equivalents):

*Stihl ms 261 - https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms261/ - 50.2 CC - bar length 30-50 cm or 12-20" - 5.2 kg
*Stihl ms 362 (the ms361 is no longer available, it seems) - https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms362/ - 59 CC - bar length 45-60 cm or 18-24" - 5.9 kg

Specs comparison: https://productz.com/en/stihl-ms-261-vs-stihl-ms-362/v/m2YnW-z34zX

A "neighbor" (who is a professional arborist) thought the ms261 would be a bit "light" for work in the woods. And I do like the (ms362) option to also have a longer bar on it...
However, it also seems smart to also take into account that I myself am pretty much a "light-weight champion"...I don't have much weight/mass to put behind the machine. (That - and the price difference - is why I think going even higher than an ms362 might not be a good idea).

What do you think?

B.t.w. are my worries about the new M-Tronic carbs justified..?

There is not a dependable saw made as they all fail. Of course some worse than others. For fifty years always bought saws in pairs and have never been disappointed. You leave your saw in the rain or snow and moisture works its self into the saw. You run the saw under extreme conditions then latter realize the carb needed some adjusting. For most part human errors will raise its head. Thanks

For the most part the mtronic/ auto tune carbs have been decent here lately. Cant say the same for the first generation, they had issues that since have been more or less fixed with second and third generations of the tech. Owning a saw with first gen tech, I havent had any issues with it. Although I'm a very small user percentage.

There is not a dependable saw made as they all fail. Of course some worse than others. For fifty years always bought saws in pairs and have never been disappointed. You leave your saw in the rain or snow and moisture works its self into the saw. You run the saw under extreme conditions then latter realize the carb needed some adjusting. For most part human errors will raise its head. Thanks
Well stated Ted

Dependability is subjective of the user , a hammer is 100xs more dependable than a screw gun but man a little impact driver makes life good.
The Xl-12s were probably one of the most dependable saws in history and changed chainsaw design forever, theres more than a million of them out there still running.
I think what your looking for isn't really possible to pin point as far as the selection you've given. My advice is buy one and try it out or hit your local swap meets, flea markets, and yard sales to buy the MOST dependable saws in history.

I'm still on the fence about which one to choose: a Stihl ms 261 or Stihl ms 362...

Have you handled them both?

They're both good saws. I'd go 261 and plan on buying a bigger saw down the road when you need one and can swing the expense. If you don't think that'll happen, then grab the 362.

Have you handled them both?

They're both good saws. I'd go 261 and plan on buying a bigger saw down the road when you need one and can swing the expense. If you don't think that'll happen, then grab the 362.
I have not yet handled either of them.

I was leaning towards the 261, as well. Then I visited this arborist "neighbor" (he's living a couple of kilometers away) of mine again, today, and he advised me to buy the more powerful 362, as I will be using it for bigger sized trees, as well. (Right now, I have 5 fallen poplars with a diameter of some 80cm = 31.5" waiting to be sawed up for firewood in my forest).

He figured you could use the 261 for that kind of work, too, but since it is less powerful, the strain on a 50CC 261 for those size trees is more than on a 60CC 362, so there is more wear and tear, and in the end it'll cost more on maintenance and longevity. (He is using stihl 400series for that kind of work).

Most of what I will be doing with the saw will be lighter work, clearing paths, small trees and such, but when the need arises to get a fallen big tree (oak, acacia, poplar) out of the way...

Sadly, this is no longer the case. My own experiences have taught me that, and I have read enough stories (also on this forum) that confirm this... :( There are troublesome models. The husqvarna 236 is one of them (https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/husqvarna-235-236-and-240-carburetor-problems.312348/).

Thank you for your suggestions and tips!
If you aren’t going to cut anything over 40” stihl 261 cm. Really lightweight and usually a better deal than the 550xp, plus stihls bar and oiler setup is really good on those 50cc saws. You go ripping a 372 or 440/362 all day for limbing you’ll wish you had not. The 261 will pull a 20” with ease.

If you aren’t going to cut anything over 40” stihl 261 cm. Really lightweight and usually a better deal than the 550xp, plus stihls bar and oiler setup is really good on those 50cc saws. You go ripping a 372 or 440/362 all day for limbing you’ll wish you had not. The 261 will pull a 20” with ease.
Him being 120 years old ! Those big saws will really wear him out.

Are you trying to tell me that there are saws smaller than a 372. That would be impossible. I think I am at least a hundred and twenty still using a Stihl 070 for limbing once in a while. However when I grab a 372 wow what a difference. Super super featherweight. Thanks

Back